Where To Invest Money In Rifle?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I am building a 223 bolt action rifle for target shooting at the local 100 and 200 yard range, using a Howa action. Depending on other parts, my costs can rapidly escalate to points I'd rather not get to, considering the rifle's intended use.

The parts that vary wildly in cost are the stock and scope. For shooting off a bench and trying to shoot tiny groups, how would you split your budget between stock and scope? Here are the two extremes, both arriving at the close to the same total cost.

A) Bell & Carlson Medalist stock ($225) + Sightron 6 - 24 x 50 MOA scope ($870). Total = $1095

B) Manners T4 stock ($530) + bedding ($225) + SWFA 20 x 42 MilDot scope ($300). Total = $1055.

I would really like a scope with MOA knobs and reticle, and can do it, with scopes from Vortex and Sightron, but at $750 minimum for the scope. I am also willing to look at used scopes.

- Phil

Re: Where To Invest Money In Rifle?

Don't get me wrong when I say this, I truly enjoy the 3 manners stocks that I own; including 2 T4x's

I would go with option 1 and use a heavier, less "high speed" stock and upgrade the glass by a large margin.

The B&C is not a bad stock, nor is the SWFA SS a bad scope. That SS model really doesn't compare to the Sightron you're looking at above.

Might want to take a shot (no pun intended) at doing the bedding yourself. Brownell's has some good kits with excellent instructions, you'll learn more about your rifle along the way, have the sense of satisfaction when you are done, and can then agonize over how to spend the $200 you saved!

Just a thought...

Rifles come and go, but I've yet to sell a scope. Those suckers are the mainstay of my stable. A great scope you'll keep around while you're likely go through a number of rifles before you find the various attributes you like. Get a great scope!

How about option C?

Bell& Carlson Medalist A2($225) + Bedding($150) + Vortex Viper PST 4-16 MOA/MOA Non-FFP($699 - less if you really look around - or maybe a used one) = $1074

You should be able to get the bedding done on a Medalist (just skim bedded) for $150 or so. You actually don't HAVE to bed that stock. Shoot it and see first. The Medalist A2 stock is great for a bench gun. The non FFP version of the Viper PST will work great for target shooting and 16X is more than adequate for 200 yard work (in fact, plenty adequate for much, much farther than that).

A) Personally I prefer the B&C light tac or M40 model to the A2, I find them more pleasant to shoot if ever you leave the bench or bipod, bed it yourself, eventually, its worth trying. If you're really gonna stay inside of 200yds you don't need 24X, so you might be able to save a little more by dialing back the max power at close range it just screws with your head unless you're free recoiling. Good luck.

He is using a Howa action, therefore stock selection is extremely limited. B&C only makes a couple of stocks and the M40 style is not one of them.

Do you have the action already?
If not, have you considered buying a varmint rifle in the laminated stock and have pillars installed and a quality glass bed job done?

As far as the glass goes, check into the burris 8-32 mil-dot, it is a very decent scope for about 600 - 700.

You may also want ot check out the weaver target scopes and the upper end bushnels.

if you're shooting at 100 and 200 yards, i don't think you'll need a 20x scope.

i'd look at a fixed 10 (or less) or a 3.5-10x

it'll give you some more money to put towards a stock or ammo

I think most people ignore training as the best overall investment you can make in a precision rifle.