Where to shoot?

cjs88

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Jan 7, 2020
    TEXAS
    Just curious to know where everyone does the ELR shooting. I see pictures people post where it's straight mountains and wilderness. Last I looked only Arizona, Idaho, and one other maybe have laws where you can shoot any where as long as you're far enough away from people and the road. I live in Texas and find it bizarre that such a gun friendly state doesn't allow you to go to the outskirts of town and shoot. I've been told that is because Texas has a lot of private or government owned land. Any other Texans have recommendations on where to shoot? Everyone else can chime in with where they shoot as well. My parents live in Idaho so when ever we make it up there I can try some ELR when I get my rifle.

MT baby!

1581688833939.png

Blast away on public land! (Adhering of course to all prudent safety rules)

Nice. I'm going to assume when you're out in the wilderness you just pick a random stump or some thing else to shoot at?
    usually nice rocks to kill. They make good splash. Map recon first, check that the land is public. Watch out for ATV trails. Always know what is behind your target. For safety, don't shoot during hunting season. In terms of gear, good LRF essential.

Look online to find public land near you where shooting is not prohibited. National forest, BLM land, etc.

I could post way too many ELR photos from California, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Wyoming, but other states have great access also. Below are just two from public BLM areas.
    Unknown-49.jpeg

Nevada Just outside Reno this fall.

In that picture, we have 2 ELR ranges set up at 90° to each other. All the guys in that picture are from the Hide. Most of the other shooters were at the range and out of view to the right.

California.png

The above image is just a couple hours outside of San Francisco, California. I know, San San Francisco or anywhere in California and ELR??

Private ranges etc. aside, I'd look for areas with BLM access or National Forests (not National Parks). Forested, or dense vegetation, is almost always way harder to set up a range than high dessert areas or plains because more limited by LOS issues. Word of mouth is the best. However, if that's not working, get OnX Maps as @HogsLife suggested and Google earth. Once you identify the area on OnX, you can use the satellite views to zoom on and see if the area is going to be fruitful. You can also generally zoom in to see if you have a cattle gate or actual gate across the roads. Then you can use the street view to see if the weight point has a chance of working from a LOS perspective.

Below is from the image above as I did a pre-flight before driving out, using the methods above. The angle is different because I moved the FFP to where the 100y pin is in the image below.
    25869989590_3e7aa3079a_k.jpg

Here is a quick messy PowerPoint I did 5 or 6 years ago. It was quickly slammed together to show the guys that were trying to start ELR matches, how to scout new ELR locations. I think the matches are often only 4-6 guys at a time, so maybe "matches" is the wrong word and a drastic self-promoting oversell. But that is what they use to describe their get together.
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/kd68firo35foz1nvnzuih/ELR-Location-Scouting-Target-Setting-Tips.pptx?dl=0&rlkey=s0ta5jwalminpwigu9n1cq5hu

I hope this helps, note that some of the links like to the DIY ELR camera thread are old and link to the old Scout site.. new link https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-2-camera-system-with-integrated-dvr.6283948/

Jim

Edited: AGrizz is offended by the acronyms and fast careless typing, so I added a key so he could better understand. Although, I am not sure why standard shooting terms should confuse or bother anyone reading the ELR Forum.
    BLM = Bureau of Land Management | U.S. Department of the Interior.
    LOS = Line of Sight. The very same acronym used in just about every solver we use for "drop."
    ELR = Extended Long Range, now rebranded as Extremely Long Range. Used to define this very forum thread and in the original posters post.
    OnX = A well know hunting mapping program.
    DIY = Do it yourself. A forum on Snipers Hide.
    FFP = Field Firing Position
    100y = 100 Yards

Last edited:
    Diver. Not trying to pick on you and please dont take this in that manner. I am totally fed up with the acronyms. A person cannot spell or did not complete their education with enough expertise to put a complete thought in the document they should not be on the computer. BUT IT BEE COOL BRO.

How does a guy range these long shots?

I use the virtual measuring tape app. Uses GPS

Diver. Not trying to pick on you and please dont take this in that manner. I am totally fed up with the acronyms. A person cannot spell or did not complete their education with enough expertise to put a complete thought in the document they should not be on the computer. BUT IT BEE COOL BRO.

I feel the exact same way about people who feel the need to chime into a discussion yet bring absolutely nothing to the table to benefit the topic or the OP’s question........

Those individuals IMO (there an acronym for you) should just continue to scroll until they find a topic they may have some useful knowledge on that would benefit the topic being discussed.

Last edited:
    Ok, I am a dumb ass. Point taken. What acronym did I use that you did not understand, is not standard practice or is offensive to you?

FYI, most the time I am posting via Siri.. maybe I just can not speak. The attachment by the way, like all things rushed was not even proof read - just like this reply. I crowbar stuff in to try to post helpful info. I suggest you put me on your ignore list as I am to dumb for you to learn a thing from.

Waiting on this one.

Last edited:

I’m not trying to pick on you, but fuck off.

I prefaced it with not picking on him. So he shouldn’t take it as an insult.

Yes, legally you are covered. I tried a similar approach at work recently, by asking the Employee Relations rep if it would be considered offensive if I classified the complaintant as an incompetent, imbecilic, moronic twat.

I get the feeling the ER rep felt my comment was accurate, but I also think I got classified as a politically incorrect trouble-maker, a label that is no doubt spot on.

I feel the exact same way about people who feel the need to chime into a discussion yet bring absolutely nothing to the table to benefit the topic or the OP’s question........

At first I was certain you were talking to me.

Are you talkin' to me? Are you. Talkin'. To me?

And finally, Diver, what part of your missing edumacation is Agrizz referring to? Can you convert MOA to Mils while drunk and getting a blow job?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Diver160651
    Yes, legally you are covered. I tried a similar approach at work recently, by asking the Employee Relations rep if it would be considered offensive if I classified the complaintant as an incompetent, imbecilic, moronic twat.

I get the feeling the ER rep felt my comment was accurate, but I also think I got classified as a politically incorrect trouble-maker, a label that is no doubt spot on.

At first I was certain you were talking to me.

Are you talkin' to me? Are you. Talkin'. To me?

And finally, Diver, what part of your missing edumacation is Agrizz referring to? Can you convert MOA to Mils while drink and getting a blow job?

?? NNTTY (Nope.Not.Talkin.To.You)

Just curious to know where everyone does the ELR shooting. I see pictures people post where it's straight mountains and wilderness. Last I looked only Arizona, Idaho, and one other maybe have laws where you can shoot any where as long as you're far enough away from people and the road. I live in Texas and find it bizarre that such a gun friendly state doesn't allow you to go to the outskirts of town and shoot. I've been told that is because Texas has a lot of private or government owned land. Any other Texans have recommendations on where to shoot? Everyone else can chime in with where they shoot as well. My parents live in Idaho so when ever we make it up there I can try some ELR when I get my rifle.
    Try Tripple C Ranch in Cresson TX.
    It's a pretty nice place for steel out to 2K

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200223-154124_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20200223-154124_Gallery.jpg
      296.7 KB · Views: 56
    Reactions: 4KDOA
    I live near Diver and go through a similar process - though I learned a couple things from the PowerPoint - thanks Diver!

- I use a combination of the relief version of Google maps and BLM maps
    - When searching in the national forests, I first look for flat areas in the Google map view, then switch to satellite view to see what the tree cover looks like so I can make an educated guess as to whether shooting lanes exist to an appropriate distance.
    - Most of the BLM land nearby doesn't have much ground cover, so I don't worry about it there.
    - In satellite view, I look for access for my Jeep for both shooting locations and targets - gates, unmarked trails, etc.
    - I look for "legal" issues - shooting over water, near roads/buildings, etc.
    - I get the GPS coordinates for multiple locations in relative proximity
    - If in a new area, I call the appropriate office (BLM or park ranger) and make sure there are no special shooting restrictions in effect.
    - I do a scouting trip - at least one rifle in tow, but not all my gear/targets - I try to keep it light.
    - I look for areas without people around, for obvious reasons. You can't really tell this until you scout.

Probably the only good thing about California. Out here in the southern desert, you can find places to literally shoot to the horizon if you have the gun for it.

It'll take you half a day of offroading just to get there, but you can do it if you want to

Reactions: HogsLife
    In Central Oregon, we have an awesome range at COSSA (Central Oregon Sports Shooting Association). The "Gong Range" goes out almost 2,000 yards with targets at 100 yard increments. It also has a 200 yard sight in range for paper targets at 25, 50, 100 and 200, with steel out to 500. Several other long distance and shorter rifle ranges, and about 20 pistol and special-purpose ranges. It's about the best shooting range complex on the planet ... maybe the galaxy. So blessed to have it only 30 minutes from my home.

In Central Oregon, we have an awesome range at COSSA (Central Oregon Sports Shooting Association). The "Gong Range" goes out almost 2,000 yards with targets at 100 yard increments. It also has a 200 yard sight in range for paper targets at 25, 50, 100 and 200, with steel out to 500. Several other long distance and shorter rifle ranges, and about 20 pistol and special-purpose ranges. It's about the best shooting range complex on the planet ... maybe the galaxy. So blessed to have it only 30 minutes from my home.

I spent my summers on my grandparents ranch off Dodds rd.

Yea, it's been a while since I spent much time up there. But it was an amazing place. My family there is telling me about how a bunch of crazy liberals from california are ruining my home state.

State land and BLM out here in MT.
    20190512_131615.jpg

I use OnX to find them, then Google Earth to check if the angle/ incline will work and make sure I'm not shooting over or into roads/houses further back.

BUILD A WALL ... (on the border between Oregon and California)
    I moved from California, but I have to agree... When I was down there, nobody wanted all those Portland folks to come fuck up our town.

State land and BLM out here in MT.
    View attachment 7257508

I use OnX to find them, then Google Earth to check if the angle/ incline will work and make sure I'm not shooting over or into roads/houses further back.

I moved from California, but I have to agree... When I was down there, nobody wanted all those Portland folks to come fuck up our town.

you just gave me a great idea with the rope for the bipod

Hello Grammar Ace,

Have you tried to read your actual post?

Let's not worry about the apostrophe or the subjective missing comma in the first sentence. "and dont"

But what kind of sentence is this?

A person cannot spell or did not complete their education with enough expertise to put a complete thought in the document they should not be on the computer.

Not included the parody, two of the three sentences you crafted blasting away about education, are shit.

Last edited: