• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

which barrel contour for which kind of shooting style?

born2kill

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2014
obviously the sporter barrel contours are for mostly hunting style situations or but even the heavier sporter barrels can be used for others situations. But is the straight taper or match contour vs a palma contour better for a specific shooting style? like why would you want a palma over a straight taper as both are offered in fairly similar weights?

Reactions: daylate
Between a straight taper and a Palma taper barrel of the same weight, it comes down to balance. More of the mass of the Palma taper is toward the shank end which moves the balance back towards the action. That brings the balance of the rifle back closer to the shooter which makes the rifle "feel" better balanced in positional shooting.

Between a straight taper and a Palma taper barrel of the same weight, it comes down to balance. More of the mass of the Palma taper is toward the shank end which moves the balance back towards the action. That brings the balance of the rifle back closer to the shooter which makes the rifle "feel" better balanced in positional shooting.

So why would someone want a straight taper contour?

For me, it's a question of surrounding the throat with enough material to absorb the heat generated by a typical match rapid string, while maintaining balance.

To me, the M40 and MTU contours upset the balance, yet don't provide any extra heat-absorbng material where it counts.

Some people choose what they do on account of how it looks, which is probably about as good a reason as most...

For me, it's a question of surrounding the throat with enough material to absorb the heat generated by a typical match rapid string, while maintaining balance.

To me, the M40 and MTU contours upset the balance, yet don't provide any extra heat-absorbng material where it counts.

Some people choose what they do on account of how it looks, which is probably about as good a reason as most...

So your saying depending on pressures, calibers, and such would depend on which way is theoretically best? Like for instance something like a 243. Win/260 rem vs 300 rum/7mmstw? Or woul up just run like a m24/40 contour

Kill,

As you said, sporter contours are for lighter weight hunting barrels. Minute of deer requirements from hunting positions with few shots required. Go light.

Heavier barrels are more accurate being stiffer to start and taking longer to heat up and warp. Their mass also wants to hold more still enabling a steady hold for better accuracy. How heavy is enough?

As mentioned M40 and Army Marksman contours are heavy. They are OK to lug around if you are in shape (duty where you get paid to work out and have motivators). Their extra mass helps them hold still but it's debatable if the extra mass over say a varmint contour is any more intrinsically accurate. For my out of shape butt they are too heavy. I have a couple and I won't have any more.

Palma is a whole other world. They set and stare at the wind. Then at some point pull the trigger. And then they swear. They continue to cuss until they're marked target comes up then scribble a little and go back into a trance. And the cycle repeats. Palma contours are for long barrels to keep 155gr. bullets supersonic to 1000 yds. If the specs of a palma contour fits your requirements go for it. If you don't really know what your requirements are stay away from palma unless your knowledgeable gunsmith recommends it.

Straight tube full diameter barrels are for single shot benchrest actions and are cut to a short length to keep them stiff. And then you use the same 20 highly prepped cases for the life of the barrel. You pick it up from your workbench and load it into your truck. Then you pick it up from you truck and walk it to you bench. It never goes into the field. Guys who try to hang a full diameter barrel on a repeater are compensating for something. And never outshoot varmint contours.

Are you sensing a theme? Some thing close to a Remington Varmint contour is where it's at. Heavy enough to be accurate and shot accurately. Light enough to balance well and move reasonable distances. I know a few guys that carry them up mountains to hunt. The ones that are in great shape shoot as well as me with my sporter. The rest whine a lot and are always stopping to eat Tootsie Rolls. And don't shoot that well (but they share so I still hunt with them). Varmint contours shoot as well as I am able. My 2 cents worth. Ignore it if you don't like it.

Reactions: WeR0206
So your saying depending on pressures, calibers, and such would depend on which way is theoretically best? Like for instance something like a 243. Win/260 rem vs 300 rum/7mmstw? Or woul up just run like a m24/40 contour

I do in fact prefer heavier contours for bigger, stronger cartridges.

In general though, I'm a happy man with something in between a medium palma and heavy palma on a target rifle.

By the way, there is essentially zero difference between a Remington Varmint and a medium palma.

Try a king a Remington varmint in elk country a few days on foot, you'll hate it forever (speaking from experience though I own several), eventually you realize a rifle is a tool and you have to build the tool for the job you want to do. A hunting rifle needs a #3 to #5 contour to maintain rigidity and a tactical rifle needs a heavier barrel to be more rigid for extra length for speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Straight taper for benchrest or F-class. Medium contours for various types of rifle shooting where weight and balance are a concern. Light palma or Rem Sendero contours which are on the light side of medium for hunting or hiking and some tactical match shooting where a lot of walking and/or positional shooting is done.

Also take into account what finish length the barrel will be.

Throw in a persons size, strength and stamina to find the best suited contour for that person.