Suppressors Which Handgun for 3Gun

cintar

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2009
Bradenton Fl
I am new to the 3gun comp craze and am not sure which pistol will best suit the sport? I have a 1911 but am considering the .40cal because of ammo capacity! I am looking at the Glock 35 and the Springfield XDM! Any feedback or suggestions please?

Re: Which Handgun for 3Gun

If ammo capacity is your primary concern in a competition setting, wouldn't a 9mm be a logical choice?

I'm not a glock guy, but I am partial to .40. I have an xD and a Sig P226, and I'll reach for the Sig every time given the choice. The glock would be a fine choice too, but it's really going to boil down to personal preference.

When first starting out in matches and comps shoot what you have. You can change things as you get better and skills improve. Probably the biggest bonus on this is seeing what everyone else is using. What works and what does not work.

Cut

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When first starting out in matches and comps shoot what you have. You can change things as you get better and skills improve. Probably the biggest bonus on this is seeing what everyone else is using. What works and what does not work.

Cut</div></div>

+1 to that, you also cant beat a glock or a M&P in 9mm

Biggest thing is what rule set you are going to be playing by. Like said before if its Outlaw, Glock 34 with Arredondo or Dawson extentions that way at LMR you can have 24 in the gun. If you are shooting USPSA then a Glock 35 with Arredondo or Dawson baspads so you can have 21 in the gun a LMR.

That is the cheapest way to play competitively. If you want you can step up and have a custom 2011 done for you with switchable 9mm barrel and slide with a 40 barrel and slide ....and mags. But when going to the 2011 a functioning mag is going to be over 100 bucks each, and youll need atleast 4, and if you do the switch barrel/slide make that 8 mags now.

There are lots of choices in the game really. And it is all a game, just depends on how much you want to spend to play, you dont HAVE to spend a shit ton of money to play, but you easilly can.

personally I dont care for a 2011 in 3 gun, I dont like holstering a single action hot and jumping around/going prone, I prefer a striker fired gun, again this is just a personal preference. Probably the cheapest route would be to buy a glock 35 with a 9mm conversion barrel and that way you only have to buy the mags. This way you can play in both USPSA and outlaw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">personally I dont care for a 2011 in 3 gun, I dont like holstering a single action hot and jumping around/going prone, I prefer a striker fired gun, again this is just a personal preference. Probably the cheapest route would be to buy a glock 35 with a 9mm conversion barrel and that way you only have to buy the mags. This way you can play in both USPSA and outlaw. </div></div>

I wouldnt want to shoot a conversion barrel since the ejectors are different. I MIGHT cause problems and of course it wont happen during practice, it would only happen in a major match when you are vieing for the stage win.

i started with a single stack 1911 with 10 rnders transfered to xdm 9. started placing much better. ive ended up with a glock 34 with sights and a stipple job. G34 or G35 depending on what game you play. keep the m&p pro in mind as well. I keep saying it if the xdm was made in a long slide it would be a great gun

get a glock of your caliber choice and dont screw too much with it. i see lots of guys in uspsa that have constant reliability issues with every make and model gun under the sun. and its because they reload really light rounds to get less recoil and screw with the gun too much. they put that stupid butt plug in the grip that makes reloads less reliable where they were told it makes it more reliable. then they put a lighter trigger and the extended mag well lips.... just go basic.. glocks are an ak47 they are simple and they work... until you get all limp wristy on them and put cutesy things on there.

glock + new sights and extended mag release (just get the factory mag release for the 45 ACP models) and your golden.

Thanks for all the great input everyone! Looks like Team Glock is in the lead so far! I was leaning toward the Glock but still need to shoot the XDM today as well! Please keep the input comming!

Glock or one of those Five Seven, at least those will be my picks when I start doing 3Gun. I currently think the Five Seven would be a better choice due to capacity and lack of recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cintar77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the great input everyone! Looks like Team Glock is in the lead so far! I was leaning toward the Glock but still need to shoot the XDM today as well! Please keep the input comming!</div></div>

The xd will have more felt recoil than the glock due to the high bore axis

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The five seven doesn't meet the caliber minimum </div></div>
Didn't know that. Damn.

It also depends which class one plans to shoot. But like stated before, shoot what you have and get a feel for it. Find a small local match and just go shoot. Or just do like I did and jump into a major match right off the bat. Just don't get discouraged by the "good" shooters. I have seen a lot of people shooting production pistols lately, a lot of M&P 9 Pro's. I like the 2011's but can't afford one. Some matches allow the Five Seven but I've seen people have trouble knocking down the steel, even the plate racks.

Start with what you have. This is my recommendation to anyone with any shooting discipline so long as you have an appropriate gun (I.e. A shotgun for trap, etc.). That way you can figure out what you do and don't like.

Keep in mind that it also depends at what level you are competing: at the top level of pistol shooting the criteria is not how fast you can shoot, but how fast you can shoot a course of fire 'clean'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cintar77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I do go Glock where is the best site for conversion kits and parts? Midway? </div></div>

glockmeister.com

but dont do a caliber conversion... if you want that caliber...BUY that caliber...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sig 226 in 9 mm. Minimal recoil, accurate and high capacity. </div></div>

i never could get into the sigs myself.. ive held many in gun stores and the hammer drop seems sloppy and the barrel sits approximatly 2ft 5in above your hand. its as if they made the slide comiclly tall to be funny. and the higher that barrel is above your grip the worse the muzzle flip will be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i never could get into the sigs myself.. ive held many in gun stores</div></div>

But have you ever shot one?

Sigs can be a tough conversion if the person operating them is used to using a high-thumbs grip on a 1911. Firing hand thumb has a tendency to sit on the slide catch and prevent the slide locking back on an empty mag. Obviously this can be overcome by mildly changing a person's grip but it takes some conscious effort.

Shoot a match with what you have and then decide what you want to do. In my experience most matches, (even the outlaw matches) require a minimum of 9mm. Shooting a local match will give you a chance to talk to folks about their equipment choices too.

Like Adam pointed out, the rules used could help influence your choice. For example, some of the "outlaw" multigun matches don't differentiate between major and minor power factor. Two hits anywhere on paper and steel must fall to score. On the other hand some do recognize minor/major.

I normally shoot my STI 2011 because the local multigun matches normally do not require you to re-holster the sidearm. It is normally grounded in a specified area (box, table, etc.) and more often then not is the last firearm used on the stage. I've got a kydex holster that I use for the multigun as opposed to the CR Speed I use for IPSC.

A lot of the guys I shoot IPSC with will run a 9mm in a multigun match. I guess the thought process is follow up shots are faster than with a .40. I've gotten so used to my STI w/my reloads (maj. pf) shooting IPSC that I'm quicker and more accurate with it than with my 9mm's. A bonus I guess is if it's a match that does recognize power factors I'm not taking a penalty for minor.

Like a few others I would say stick with 9mm plenty of knockdown power and alot of capacity. I started out with a sig 226 as that is what I had. After 8 years of being an anti glock person I switched and will never look back. Same trigger pull every single time, end of story. Not to mention if you so desire you can change your trigger pull. I still have my sigs, but for 3 gun the glock is tool of choice. The long trigger pull on the sig is what always seems to get people on the first shot. I see it time and time again with the shooter pulling the first shot due to the long 1st pull. I will have to say that the sig does seem to fit my hand a lot better than the glock so Im not knocking on sigs and still own a few. Good luck to you its a very addicting sport, be prepared to want to buy gear and more gear.

I forgot to add, if you are looking at the glock 35, buy the 34 and you should be good to go if you were looking at the 35 anyway. I changed the sights out on mine with dawson fronts and heinie rears. Nice setup lets you make longer precision shots if you need on small steel or paper.

Another vote for the Glock 35, I run mine for IDPA and 3 gun and another advantage for the 40 cal, if you reload, is you can download/upload the cartridge to make power factor for whatever sport you are shooting. I have the Glock 34 as well and find the Glock 35 more accurate, JMHO. One thing for sure though is that 3gun is the "crack" of the action shooting sports!Good luck!

Glock 35 all the way, do the .25 cent trigger job, and add a polished Ghost Rocket connecter, Warren\Sevigny Fiber Optic Competition Sight Set, Dawson ICE magwell, and rock on!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock <span style="color: #FF0000">or one of those Five Seven, at least those will be my picks when I start doing 3Gun. I currently think the Five Seven would be a better choice due to capacity and lack of recoil.</span> </div></div>

Really? Better go read the rules....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock <span style="color: #FF0000">or one of those Five Seven, at least those will be my picks when I start doing 3Gun. I currently think the Five Seven would be a better choice due to capacity and lack of recoil.</span> </div></div>

Really? Better go read the rules.... </div></div>
That was addressed in this thread already, slow your roll.

Para Ordnance Hi-cap 40 in your choice of variations, as long as it's a 16-40 you'll be fine. Might want some slim grips though, those Para butts get fat real easy. Also think about the Taurus 24-7 OSS or the Beretta 92/96.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nobearsyet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Para Ordnance Hi-cap 40 in your choice of variations, as long as it's a 16-40 you'll be fine. Might want some slim grips though, those Para butts get fat real easy. Also think about the Taurus 24-7 OSS or the Beretta 92/96. </div></div>

You dont shoot much 3 gun do you ?

I'm supprised that no one suggests the XDM 9mm. I use one in defensive pistol competitions and love it. Very fast, Very accurate, 20 round capacity, and a great value. Around $650 gets you a match trigger, match barrel, two high cap mags, holster, mag holster, speed loader, 3 different size backstraps and case. A bargain in my book. Oh yeah, I outshoot most high end 1911's with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nobearsyet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Para Ordnance Hi-cap 40 in your choice of variations, as long as it's a 16-40 you'll be fine. Might want some slim grips though, those Para butts get fat real easy. Also think about the Taurus 24-7 OSS or the Beretta 92/96. </div></div>

You dont shoot much 3 gun do you ? </div></div>

Not so much anymore, been out of it for a year or so, my 14-45 worked great for me but since as though the man that asked for the opinion doesn't want a 45 means 16-40, the Taurus has actually shot pretty good for me, and the Beretta was a might as well as noone has mentioned it yet.

Love Em

242h5dy.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsky23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too much muzzle flip? Sorry man I couldn't disagree more, I have the fastest on target double tap at our competitions. </div></div>

well think how fast youll be with a glock..... they have more muzzle flip...its fact...

but what competition times double taps?..... the time between the worst and best shooters will be so minute its pointless... best double tap time = .105 seconds .....worst double tap time ever recorded = .139 ..... lol (not actual times)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtask</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i never could get into the sigs myself.. ive held many in gun stores</div></div>

But have you ever shot one? </div></div>

no i havent so i cant say much...but the same reason i dont own a 1911...feels like dog shit in my hands..so why even venture to shoot it?...i guess its kinda like shoes...if they fit like crap theres no point to try and run the mile to see how they do...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsky23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't argue. I don't have alot of experience with a glock, but I have shot them a little and I can't say I've ever found one with a decent trigger.
</div></div>

i shot thousands of rounds through my XD before i bought a glock... the glock trigger is far superior.. breaks way cleaner...

all just personal opinion of course...

I love my glock, I have an xd and a s&w. I prefer the Glock, but I will say that it is all personal opinion. I would recomend shooting some through the guns first.

Look in your area, I have found that quite a few manufacturs show up around here and let you shoot the different guns. You have to use there ammo wich is marked up a little but way better then buying a gun and not liking it.

I think a 2011 is the clear winner, in 9mm for outlaw and .40 for USPSA.

The others might be cheaper and work fine, but for me, nothing beats the crispness of a single action trigger.