Suppressors Which Handgun for 3Gun

Re: Which Handgun for 3Gun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsky23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm out of this one, later Kentastic.
</div></div>

alright later bigsky

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When first starting out in matches and comps shoot what you have. You can change things as you get better and skills improve. Probably the biggest bonus on this is seeing what everyone else is using. What works and what does not work.

Cut</div></div>

^^ +1 on this.

Even in local matches you get out there and see guys who loaded up based on what they saw or heard on the net and 3 months later those same guys are bitching the coulda woulda shouldas because they realize they didn't know what to get.

Plus, showing up for the first time with a new gun that you aren't yet used to, you were likely going to score better with the firearm you are more comfortable with at first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsky23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't argue. I don't have alot of experience with a glock, but I have shot them a little and I can't say I've ever found one with a decent trigger.
</div></div>

i shot thousands of rounds through my XD before i bought a glock... the glock trigger is far superior.. breaks way cleaner...

all just personal opinion of course... </div></div>

I hate to admit it, but its true. My first handgun was an XD 4" service. Its what I started with when I started learning IPSC/USPSA and IDPA rules.

Just about anything short of a jiminez (!!!) will have a better trigger than those gen2 XD's. Not sure how the modern XD-M's are but definitely pay attention to whats comfortable in the hand. If you know someone who runs a local gun store ask if they will let you dry fire, and see what the trigger is like for yourself.

Or go to a few matches as an observer. Meet some people. Ask about things.

When I started shooting 3 gun I used a Glock 35 and got along pretty well. Along the way the barrel was changed out to a Briley to get rid of the brass swell and for a little better accuracy. After using it for 2 or 3 years it became obvious that it was slowing me down and I went to a 2011 in 40 S&W.

Have used the 2011 ever since for both 3 gun and USPSA limited matches. Shoot the same loads no matter the match. Jumped to next class within the 1st. year of the change.

One of the main things necessary to be successful in 3 gun is that all your guns run. A jam just kills you, you have to be consistent. Some stages you use all 3 guns and if one of them screws up it torches the whole stage.

I think the FNH Tactical 45 should be a contender for those who like 45 ACP. Its got the highest mag capacity and allows you to fit a red dot right out of the factory with no mods. It also is lightweight polymer and has a great trigger. Tall night sights with the ability to run suppressed!

KY.... the problem with the FNH Tactical is that 45 has only one place left in 3gun, and that is in Heavy Metal. Heavy Metal stipulates round count in mags, so a higher mag capacity really means nothing. The red dot means open, why shoot a max length magazine that will only hold 18 45ACP's when you can shoot the same max length mag with 27 38StupidComp's in it? ( I dont know exactly how many the FNH will hold just pulled that number out of the air).

The choice really is whatever you want to shoot. But for the most part you are going to see 2011's and Glocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the FNH Tactical 45 should be a contender for those who like 45 ACP. Its got the highest mag capacity and allows you to fit a red dot right out of the factory with no mods. It also is lightweight polymer and has a great trigger. Tall night sights with the ability to run suppressed!

</div></div>

A .45 isn't going to be competitive when other people have 25 rounds in a magazine.

Bla, bla, bla... If you have a basic 9mm, 40, or 45, just go shoot. It's 90% shooting and 10% gear that gets you there. Go shoot and worry about the gear after you have had a chance to determine what is going to work for you.

I've been shooting a tactical league for 6 or 7 years. Most shoots are 2 gun but we throw in the scattergun for 3 or 4 meets during the year. I started with a P226 (9mm) . Two years ago I switched to an XD 45 my scores improved alot. We occasionally shoot poppers the 226 usually required a double tap, not so with 230 gr. ammo. I had the shop at Springfield match fit the barrel, install night sights and do a trigger job. I love it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SA_Friday</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bla, bla, bla... If you have a basic 9mm, 40, or 45, just go shoot. It's 90% shooting and 10% gear that gets you there. Go shoot and worry about the gear after you have had a chance to determine what is going to work for you. </div></div>

No doubt that's true.

I've loaded over 5,000 rounds in the last two weeks. Shooting fixes everything.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooting fixes everything.
laugh.gif
</div></div>
That's true on many different levels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the FNH Tactical 45 should be a contender for those who like 45 ACP. Its got the highest mag capacity and allows you to fit a red dot right out of the factory with no mods. It also is lightweight polymer and has a great trigger. Tall night sights with the ability to run suppressed!
</div></div>
A .45 isn't going to be competitive when other people have 25 rounds in a magazine.</div></div>

Its likely to be a while before hes really competitive anyway
wink.gif

+1 on shoot what youve got and worry about being competitive later. Going to matches is a great way to look and test other guns and gear as well.

I agree with shoot what ya got, obviously unless you're already a pro your requirements will be more specific, but then you would not be asking this question here in the first place. I truely enjoy shooting my EB 1911 so thats what I shoot, shoot what you like until winning the match is your goal.

There are a couple locally, one in Billings at the Rod and Gun club and one a little farther away in Logan Mt. Both are great fun and open to shooters. Give me a call if you'd like more info. I'll PM you my number.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooting fixes everything.
laugh.gif
</div></div>
That's true on many different levels. </div></div>

LMAO

Go to a gun store / shooting range that lets you try out different pistols...that's why so many people have different opinions...Each person is going to tell you what they personally like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sigs can be a tough conversion if the person operating them is used to using a high-thumbs grip on a 1911. Firing hand thumb has a tendency to sit on the slide catch and prevent the slide locking back on an empty mag. Obviously this can be overcome by mildly changing a person's grip but it takes some conscious effort. </div></div>

+1 on this, it is the exact reasons I don't run/own sigs. I wish I could!