• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Which scout/patrol rifle

One of my buddies bought a Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm Friday and we shot it Sunday morning. Out of the box the iron sights were dead on at 25 yards. He shot a 10 shot group with iron sights that was probably not over an 1" circle. He mounted a holographic sight that worked well too. At 50 yards the groups opened up, but we were using the holo sight with a large MOA dot. I don't know the exact MOA of the dot, but it was at least 6 MOA.

We shot over 200 rounds of 115 and 124 grain FMJ and all fed / ejected fine. We didn't have any hollow points to try. We used a Glock 17 round and a 33 round mag. The only malfunction was the trigger failed to reset once and my buddy thought he short stroked it. I liked the rifle well enough that I ordered one today. With a light mounted on the front rail, and a holo sight, this should make a very good house gun.

Been thinking about doing one of these myself. Mine will be in .223. Trying to decide between getting the ruger predator and chopping and threading at 18" or just getting the ranch at 16". Hoping krg will do a bravo chassis at some time but factory stock will have to do for awhile.

My father has the Ruger American Ranch in 223 with an FDE stock its the earlier version with the shorter LOP. I gotta say it's a damn cool rifle for the money!

I'll echo that the Scout rifle/patrol bolt gun never made any sense. There have always been better options with more firepower.

Cooper was a fool living in the past. It's 1962 and you are pinned down behind a car in the middle of a gun fight. Would you rather have a m1garand/m14/ar10/m16/svt40/just about any semi auto rifle on the market or a bolt gun? You are getting charged by a bear would you rather have a bolt action 338mag or an AR10?

Today you can build a sweet large frame AR that will do everything and more. For under 1k you could build a sweet 6.5cm shorty on large frame or 6.5 Grendel on small frame. 9mm is not a man/game stopper in the same realm as a rifle cartridge so it makes about as much sense as the patrol rifle does.

44846144_190919995127402_3254386484995686400_o.jpg
44846144_190919995127402_3254386484995686400_o.jpg

That's not a huge jump away from my (now my Grandson's) Winchester 94AE 44MAG Trapper Carbine. It's back in the home shop for re-installation of mount and optic, which will be a Red Dot.

Yours is a knockout.

Greg

I’m a huge fan of the scout rifle concept for its intended purpose, but I’m also not foolish enough to sit here and tell you an M14, AR-10, MDR, etc. is not a more viable option. It’s a unique take on a combat rifle that’s outdated as all get out and was outdated when Colonel Jeff Cooper was ranting about it. That though to me is one of the things that makes it unique he believed it to be superior for its intended purpose and it works well in that role but by no means is the best option at all. The argument for it against a better option makes no sense. For the intended purpose though it is quite useful, but like you all and myself can agree much better options were available then and now. Cooper’s argument reminds me of the argument of today Glock vs 1911.

Any thoughts?

With that said I’ve I were picking one I would go with the Steyr Scout, and the Burris 2-7 LER scope.

Last edited:
Reactions: xxflyingturtlexx