• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Which Seating Die?

Z32MadMan

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
I'm looking to make accurate .223 on a 550b. Thoughts on which seating die I should use? Is it worth going to something like a Redding Comp seating die over a standard Dillon or Lee die?

Re: Which Seating Die?

Yes. The Forster seaters and the Redding micrometer seater incorporate a different design that has a sleeve for aligning the bullet as it is seating. The Forster BR model doesn't have the micrometer, making it a great value if a mic isn't needed.

The micrometer is beneficial if loading more than one bullet or if experimenting with seating depth. Loading from a magazine doesn't allow much latitude for varying seating depth.

So this Forster br seater die (non micrometer) would work well?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=177937
I would rather not spend $88 if I don't need to. Just looking to make accurate ammo, and I don't mind playing with the die for a while to set it up to a certain OAL. And I'm only going to be loading one load for one gun.

And if someone can just check my work here. I'm going to be buying processed brass from scharch.com, so all I need is a poweder die and a seating die, correct? I won't need a resizer or crimp die? This will be bolt gun ammo only.

Thanks for the help

Don't know what Scharch does to the brass, but you will recycle your fired brass and should be sizing it to fit your rifle's chamber. Get the die set, unless you want to use a bushing sizing die. The Forster FL die is excellent.

I bought 1000 processed .223 brass from Scharch and had to resize and trim all of it before it was reloadable. Couldn't trim it before full length re-sizing as the necks were undersized and the pilot would badly score the brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TikkaShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So all I need is a powder die and a seating die, correct? I won't need a resizer or crimp die? </div></div>
Might need a trimming tool. Wilson?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TikkaShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking to make accurate .223 on a 550b. Thoughts on which seating die I should use? Is it worth going to something like a Redding Comp seating die over a standard Dillon or Lee die? </div></div>

For my 223, through ARs, I use the Hornady New Dimension seating die with their Micro Seating stem and can't complain. Should I get a bolt gun, I might go with the Redding Comp seaters as they're pretty slick. I've use them on 7 RM and 260 Rem and they're worth the scratch.

Chris

use the rcbs competition dies you wont regret the price outlay and adjusting the depth is easy because of the micrometer. i love mine and you dont have to worry about a canted bullet being seated because the seater has a sleeve that sits in the bottom of the die when you drop the bullet into the window, the sleeve aligns the bullet and pull the lever to seat it

vinconco is correct, at least for many conventional seaters.

The only searers worthy of being labeled "competition" are the Forster Br and Redding's copy of it. Only they have a full length body sleeve that contains both the case and bullet before weating begins. On average, they do a better job of seating but even then it's not a massive difference and few rifles will ever notice.

The Hornady and RCBS short alignment sleves are nice to use but I know of no one who obtains better accuracy simply because of the expensive seater itself.

Redding and Forster sliding sleeves are so big inside that the case is able to flop about to such a degree that they offer no perceptible advantage over any other micrimeter adjustable seater dies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Redding and Forster sliding sleeves are so big inside that the case is able to flop about.... </div></div>
My Forster fits like a glove.

And furthermore, if your cass expand more on one side than the other, as Winchesters do to the tune of as much as .006", then your snug fit induces runout because the case cannot move inside the shellholder to compensate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And furthermore, if your cass expand more on one side than the other, as Winchesters do to the tune of as much as .006" </div></div>

918v is correct. This is caused by case wall thickness variations. If you want an example just load unfired cases and check the runout then fire them, reload and check it again. Unfired cases will load with less runout than after they have been fired. All brands of cases do this to a certain degree.

So is there a place that actually sells truly ready to load brass, or that will process brass my up to standard?

From what I can tell, brass shot and reloaded for the same bolt gun only needs to be tumbled and neck sized before it can be loaded again. So at this point in time I would rather just buy a few thousand rounds of brass which is ready to go and then just be able to keep loading that brass (without having to buy all the prep equipement and spend all that time).

RCBS competition seater sleeves index off the shoulder and maybe another .4" down the body, so uneven base expansion is not as much of an issue.

One thing you can do is sort your brass. I have found Lapua and Hornady to be better than Winchester, RP, etc. in that they maintain casehead runout to under .003", and under .002" in more than 75% of the cases. So, even if Lapua costs more, after sorting it actually costs less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TikkaShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So is there a place that actually sells truly ready to load brass, or that will process brass my up to standard?

</div></div>

Nosler sells prepped brass that is ready to load. It has been prepped to a greater degree than any other brass that I have seen.

1. Weight sorted (make sure if you buy quantity that you buy the same lot#)
2. case mouth squared and camfered
3. inside flash hole deburred
4. packaged 50/box

The processed brass may simply be de-capped and cleaned as opposed to brass that's straight from the range.

Those most interested in accuracy buy new brass all from the mfr's same lot. They may sort and/or cull before doing their prep.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Redding sure didn't. </div></div>
Send it back.

Few years back I bought 1000 rds of Scharch's fully prepped brass, F/L sized ready to load they said. Loaded up 50 rds to try in a new AR and when I released the bolt on the first rd the bolt didn't lock up. Pulled the AR apart and tried just dropping a loaded rd in the chamber, none of them would go in, back home I went. Ran all 50 rds thru a Redding Body Die and after that they all fired just fine

"Originally Posted By: 918vRedding and Forster sliding sleeves are so big inside that the case is able to flop about....

"My Forster fits like a glove."

Ditto with my five Forsters. And the dozen or so Redding's I've seen.

No seater can correct for a defective neck. Seeking some die slop so a bullet can better align in a non-concentric neck is sorta self defeating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winchester 69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Redding sure didn't. </div></div>
Send it back. </div></div>

And tell then what exactly? Brass dimensions vary all over the place between manufacturers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Redding and Forster sliding sleeves are so big inside.... </div></div>
The sleeves are so big inside.

parrot_in_a_hat-sm.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Potterman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Few years back I bought 1000 rds of Scharch's fully prepped brass, F/L sized ready to load they said. Loaded up 50 rds to try in a new AR and when I released the bolt on the first rd the bolt didn't lock up. Pulled the AR apart and tried just dropping a loaded rd in the chamber, none of them would go in, back home I went. Ran all 50 rds thru a Redding Body Die and after that they all fired just fine </div></div>

10 years ago I had a Professional Ordnance Carbon 15 AR15 pistol that had a chamber so tight, most ammo would jam with the bolt half way closed.

I got a tight FL die, ground the neck off, and sized the body and shoulder of ammo. The gun would then shoot, but was too loud.