• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Which suppressor for 223 bolt gun

Delicatessen

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2017
Kansas
What is a highly accurate (repeatable shift) suppressor for a 223 that would also have very good reduction in noise neighbors have horses so something say below 130db on a bolt gun with at least a 20” barrel. Obviously it doesn’t have to be 223 specifically if the other two considerations are met.

Just about any can made in the last two years by a decent company will do what you're looking for. I would look hard at the YHM turbo. I don't have one in hand due to ATF inefficiency but I have heard and shot one at the range and it was very impressive and the cost is amazing. I also like the Griffin Armament Optimus Micro. It is completely user serviceable so you can use it for rimfire. It is small and light and I couldn't believe how quiet it was on a bolt 223.

Is this for a sporter barrel you’d take hunting and walking through the woods? TBAC Ultra 223 for quiet and light/maneuverability

Or a heavy, bench/target only setup? TBAC Ultra 9 6.5 for max quiet

I run an Omega with Area 419 Adapter on my heavy 223 bolt gun, lightweight .204 BA and ARs. It’s also a great option.

I have a 338 Ultra and Ultra 5 in jail. Will probably run the 5” on hunting rifles, 338 on target rigs, and Omega on ARs.

People are correct in matching the can to the task, as they tend to multiply over time anyways.

This is for trainer/bench type use, weight not huge concern. More max reduction although I don’t think something crazy huge would be required like adding over 12” to the muzzle or anything. Basically trainer use and trying to be a good neighbor on reasonably large property but not hundreds of acres (though the backstop is at the edge of a few hundred empty acres that is not my land.

Yes OpsInc now Allen Engineering cans have great sound reduction and tone and are indestructible.

image.jpg

I have a YHM Resonator in jail, I'm hoping it works on a Tikka T3x CTR. The size, weight, price, and reviews are very good on this can IMO.

223 Ultra 7, 6.5 Ultra 9, or 338 Ultra would all be super quiet, not sure if we have those on video back to back on the meter, from a bolt gun.

Would love to see this comparison. Have a 6.5 Ultra 7 and a 338 Ultra in my safe. Was really curious how the 223 Ultra and 6.5 Ultra 9 compare on a 223 boltgun.