• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

Who does firearms finishing (Duracoat etc)

Re: Who does firearms finishing (Duracoat etc)

Does it have to be a ffl to send compete weapons to be coated? If I ship my stuff to be worked on and returned to me does it involve any Uncle Sam involvement?

In DFW, I would recommend Andrew Quant, d.b.a. Atwell Tactical in Richardson or Jon David Whitson, d.b.a. JDW Manufacturing, Inc. (a.k.a. Shark Suppressors) in Plano or Adam Rodriguez in Fort Worth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 02Silver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it have to be a ffl to send compete weapons to be coated? If I ship my stuff to be worked on and returned to me does it involve any Uncle Sam involvement? </div></div>
Yes it has to be an ffl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 02Silver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it have to be a ffl to send compete weapons to be coated? If I ship my stuff to be worked on and returned to me does it involve any Uncle Sam involvement? </div></div>
Yes it has to be an ffl </div></div>

Someone that keep's customer's firearmss overnight needs an FFL from my understanding.

To have your weapon worked on you can mail it directly to the smith/finisher and they can mail it directly back to you (no FFL transfer stuff happens, since there's no transfer).

[/quote]

Someone that keep's customer's firearmss overnight needs an FFL from my understanding.

To have your weapon worked on you can mail it directly to the smith/finisher and they can mail it directly back to you (no FFL transfer stuff happens, since there's no transfer). [/quote]

Got it...that is more reasonable I think.

Why don't you try it your self?

Iv seen a lot of sick home made coatings after a little practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In DFW, I would recommend Andrew Quant, d.b.a. Atwell Tactical in Richardson or Jon David Whitson, d.b.a. JDW Manufacturing, Inc. (a.k.a. Shark Suppressors) in Plano or Adam Rodriguez in Fort Worth.
</div></div>

+1 on all accounts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

To have your weapon worked on you can mail it directly to the smith/finisher and they can mail it directly back to you (no FFL transfer stuff happens, since there's no transfer). </div></div>
A person has to be a registered FFL to receive firearms in the mail, it does not matter if it stays overnight, if it goes from state to state, the smith or painter has to have a ffl, the owner does not have to have one, since the firearm is already registered to his/her name. For example, if I want to have a firearm painted in my state, all I have to do is drive it over, I can NOT ship it to a non FFL holder even if they are in my state.
Hope this clarify's things.
-Felipe

I paid someone about $150 to paint my 700SPS-V barreled action coyote brown and it is peeling off the muzzle and around the ejection port and recoil lug area. I bought a duracoat kit from Laur for about the same money and got a better result in camo on my muzzleloader and have enough to do another rifle, plus I have the airbrush and tools I need from now on.
Their job:
PICT0032.jpg

Mine:
PICT0018.jpg

If not comfortable trying on your own, by all means support the guys on here. I got a lot of pride and satisfaction doing my own and plan to do several more now that I got my feet wet. It took several drinks of liquid courage for me to strip my rifle, after that it's all down hill from there,
crazy.gif
. I had rust issues and was at the end of my rope to fix them. If you plan to do a nice gun, practice on a beater or buy a throw away stock on the classifieds to practice on first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deh223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have hide member Da-Law-Dawg to do all my work , he is very, very good to, look him up and ask him to send you pictures of his work, Im sure he wont mind </div></div>

he does good stock texturing too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ipaintguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not "certified" but i do awesome duracoat firearm finishing work in saginaw /ft worth. check out my work at www.facebook.com/lineageairbrush </div></div>

dude, thats nice work