• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Who makes the best custom action???

rifleman1981

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
nw oklahoma
There are a lot of good action manufactures out there, Surgeon, Stiller, Lawton, BAT, Accuracy International, Badger etc................. what I am curious about is who makes the best action out there, I have about come to the conclusion that surgeon is at the top of the list, but would like to hear some other opinions as well. EDIT.... Guess it might be helpful to add that I am intending this to be a 1000 yard target, hunting and kill anything that moves.......scratch that, anything that breaths rifle in an atmosphere where the wind blows from 5 to 30mph and fills your action up with shit sand and grime daily rifle.

Re: Who makes the best custom action???

Alot of it is just opinion. Alot companies make excellent quality actions. I have a Lawton and it is great but so are bunch of the other makers.

IMHO Bat is the best of the best, but I would not choose one for a tactical match rifle, Surgeon is my first choice, followed by Stiller.

Here is a video on Zak Smiths website of different actions failing at a match due to the sand and wind. He was using the AWSM action and it fed reliably for the match. My current tactical match rifle is set up on a BAT. I have never had a failure issue with my Remington 700. I found the video interesting.

http://www.demigodllc.com/video_serve.php?id=ss-rifle-fail

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a video on Zak Smiths website of different actions failing at a match due to the sand and wind. He was using the AWSM action and it fed reliably for the match. My current tactical match rifle is set up on a BAT. I have never had a failure issue with my Remington 700. I found the video interesting.

http://www.demigodllc.com/video_serve.php?id=ss-rifle-fail </div></div>
and one of them is a Surgeon. I had two of them: not at the top of my list. I've switched over to Defiance and been real happy so far. If the Pierce actions are anything like his gunsmithing, they will rock.

Zak's vid seems to be an ad for AI.
What was the malfunction with those various rifles?
Anybody care to say why your rifle did not go bang when you were shooting it in the dirt?
Trigger? Which is not part of the action but pinned onto the bottom.
Bolt? I've not seen a bolt so full of sand that it would not move, but I suppose it could happen. I have seen a broken extractor.
What else?

BTW my vote goes to the Surgeon action. I have had no problems with mine. But I shoot in the salt, heat, mud as much as in the sand.

Surgeon 591 Repeater. Does anyone know if they are back in stock yet? I called a about 3 weeks ago and they said they were hoping to have some in 2 weeks. I am wondering if they meant there deadline.

Raydog and I both are really liking these, http://www.bighornarms.com/index.php

We both shot several matches over the last year and the actions are really doing well. Zak is still looking for more footage. We may convert him to American yet.

Meanwhile, I see more builds with them for sure.

Disclaimer: AJ has a link to our site on his but it's only a link. AJ has become a good friend but we still have to pay for our actions. Hint, hint AJ!

Why not look down at Prague, their is a custom action maker there. I get tired of the this bolt action wont work in the dust and dirt. You can go to any bench rest sites and ask around BAT,gesike, nesikabay. I mean go down the list many of the ones I just mentioned have won 1000m matches. What sets these actions apart is usually how they feel too the one behind it. Their are several that are better when it comes to a switch barrel and where you want to put your ports.

I know this may sound crazy but if you want die hard reliable action look into the fn spr action (basically pre 64 win 70). $350 gets you claw extractor, fixed ejector, good field trigger, near manf. 20moa base, 3 position safety, and enough slop to still work when it gets filthy.

I use the GAP Templar action and I have not had any problems with it. It has fluting on the bolt and it is as smooth as butter when cycling fast for the movers.