• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Who trued your 700 action?

Osmosis

Private
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2011
Who did you send it to, and were you happy with the work?
Searching the net, It's rather tough to sort between it all and in the end I'd be assuming about the work in most cases. I can't seem to find a set of reviews about a shop in the NW that does awesome work.

Re: Who trued your 700 action?

Chad Dixon/Long Rifles Inc. did my last 700 stainless. He does awesome work. He also rebarreled it with a Brux and the gun shoots very well. Great guy to deal with.

You have a gunsmith who can't true an action but will do rebarrel work?

Maybe I'm being paranoid but that sets off alarm bells for me.

I trued my actions and barreled all of my receivers except for 1; I bought a complete, turn key custom AR15 from Short Action Customs.

I own custom receivers from Mike Bush of Black Ops Tech. and AJ Goddard of BigHorn arms.

Mark's work is impeccable. There are a lot of very good builders on this site, several have been mentioned already but here's a few more in no particular order (these are all people that I've done business with at one point in time):

Black Ops Tech (formerly Underground Skunkworks)
Gradous Rifles
Mark Chanlynn (associated loosely with BigHorn)
Short Action Customs (already mentioned)
Warner Tool Co.
Wells Custom Gunmakers

THis is certainly not a comprehensive list, just people that I can tell you treat a customer right from personal experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have a gunsmith who can't true an action but will do rebarrel work?

Maybe I'm being paranoid but that sets off alarm bells for me.

I trued my actions and barreled all of my receivers except for 1; I bought a complete, turn key custom AR15 from Short Action Customs.

I own custom receivers from Mike Bush of Black Ops Tech. and AJ Goddard of BigHorn arms.

Mark's work is impeccable. There are a lot of very good builders on this site, several have been mentioned already but here's a few more in no particular order (these are all people that I've done business with at one point in time):

Black Ops Tech (formerly Underground Skunkworks)
Gradous Rifles
Mark Chanlynn (associated loosely with BigHorn)
Short Action Customs (already mentioned)
Warner Tool Co.
Wells Custom Gunmakers

THis is certainly not a comprehensive list, just people that I can tell you treat a customer right from personal experience.
</div></div> nope you are not paranoid at all but I know I would run away from a gunsmith who says that don't true an action but wil rebarrel when I get it back...run away quickly and go to a guy who can do it all. I used Mark Gordon for my last work on a Remington 223 and it came out great.

Our Process:

M700 accurizing

Video:

th_m700blueprint.jpg

Related stuff:

308 build

Mark at Short Action Customs "SAC" does all my work. He is extremely meticulous about the product and service he provides. His work in my opinion is a work of art. Here is the latest rifle he has built for me it accuracy is impressive.
ehlwev.jpg

And that's why I only built a rifle once! Nice thread, video, and information there Chad. I also wish I had the technical knowledge to know exactly what you were talking about, but I'm not a machinist, so I don't. I guess my rifle is only minute of pie accurate in all accounts. Thanks for the posts.

Chad Dixon (Longrifles Inc) did one for me! Machine work was badazz to say the least!!! Great guy to deal with too! I plan on him doing another(ok two more)soon!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anvil8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark at Short Action Customs "SAC" does all my work. He is extremely meticulous about the product and service he provides. His work in my opinion is a work of art. Here is the latest rifle he has built for me it accuracy is impressive.
ehlwev.jpg

</div></div>

I agree. Mark does beautiful work, and a great guy to deal with.

Chad Dixon did my REM 700 LA in .300WM. He also did the bolt fluting, threaded the barrel for my TBAC 30P-1 and added a tactical bolt knob for me. It was a rush job before I deployed. I was able to shoot it once before shipping out and can't wait to get back behind the rifle!!!

It shoots awesome with 210grn Berger VLD's with 73 grn of RE22. I will say that I am very pleased!!

Can anyone give input on a Tac Ops vs. SAC?

Looking to have a build done (first one).

I live in Los anglels, so Tac Ops is coventient.

I'm flat out looking for thie best

Appreciate any input

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DSL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone give input on a Tac Ops vs. SAC?

Appreciate any input </div></div>
I've never owned a Tac Op's but I have and do own a SAC built rifle. I will tell you that I have shot a ton of rifles in my day but not one of those is as fine a weapon as the ones Mark at Short Action Customs Builds. Mark does not settle for anything less than perfection. I have witnessed it personally. If it's not perfect Mark will make it that way no matter how long it takes him. He is one hell of a stand up guy and Gunsmith. He is also extremely innovative and is always looking for was to improve an already perfect product. That has been my experience.

Gap has built several rifle for me, Mike Bryant in Texas built one. I am sending my next project to Chad. He did some work for a close friend and his description of the shop and the work was first class.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DSL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone give input on a Tac Ops vs. SAC?

Appreciate any input </div></div>

You're not going to be able to get Mike work on your rifle unless you buy one from him probably. He has his plate full. But call him and see for yourself. He's a great guy to talk to.

Mark G is also a great guy. Used him for my last .308 build and it is absolutely top notch as is his CS.