• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Why Spuhr?

I am using the Spuhr SP-4616. I chose it for its rigidity and additional mounting points. I have an ACI mounted on the left and a 4 slot rail on the right that I will attach a quick detach brass catcher that I am designing. I don't know that Spuhr is better than other mounts but those are the reasons I chose it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
I think the mounts are tough as nails.
When you pay $250 to shoot a match, you would like to know that your equipment isnt going to fail. I have that kind of faith in my mount.

I also like the ease of leveling the scope in the mount. Granted, leveling a scope is by no means difficult, but simpler is better.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
I've run about 10 different spuhr mounts and never had a problem with scopes slipping either. I've had a few scopes slip in lesser rings/mounts. That's the last thing I want.

I was curious what all the screws was on the mount, when I was looking at them the other day. Didn’t realize you could level your scope in the mount, that’s interesting. Then I again I don’t much about spuhr until I came here.

And B6graham I don’t mind spending the $400 for a mount if is worth it, why I joined into this convo so I can get feedback from people who own them use them in different real world situations.

Reactions: Cagey-platpus
Wanted to add a tangential comment. I purchased the Spuhr Fix It Sticks kit to ensure even and consistent torque on the rings which give even pressure on the scope. Use a little pine rosin in the rings.

Reactions: Blutarsky
1) Strength/durability. I honestly believe that the wider ring surfaces and mounting system on the Spuhr mounts contribute to preventing zero loss when your scope takes a hit. I had my trainer fall over onto large gravel from being stood up on the butt and landing directly on the elevation turret of my XRS2 in a Spuhr 4011 mount. I picked the rifle up, knocked the dirt off, and smacked a 6" gong at 500.

2) Mounting options for accessories. My match rifle has a Hawk Hill data card holder on top of the front ring, and I have an ACI I can run on the left side if I am going to a match where I might need one. I can also mount a red dot to the scope mount if desired.

3) Ease of leveling. I despise scope leveling, and the wedge/slot system on the Spuhr mount eliminates that headache.

4) Return to zero. Even when I pull my rifle apart and remount everything (chassis and optic) I am usually within .1, maybe .2 of my original zero. One of these days, I will try it with just the mount going off and back on.

Reactions: DustBun
ive had more than my share of scope mounts over the years
like said before if your not looking for ultra light, i dont see a better mount out there
maybe some are on par but no mounts blow it away

i have switched almost all of my mounts to spuhr

1) Strength/durability. I honestly believe that the wider ring surfaces and mounting system on the Spuhr mounts contribute to preventing zero loss when your scope takes a hit. I had my trainer fall over onto large gravel from being stood up on the butt and landing directly on the elevation turret of my XRS2 in a Spuhr 4011 mount. I picked the rifle up, knocked the dirt off, and smacked a 6" gong at 500.

2) Mounting options for accessories. My match rifle has a Hawk Hill data card holder on top of the front ring, and I have an ACI I can run on the left side if I am going to a match where I might need one. I can also mount a red dot to the scope mount if desired.

3) Ease of leveling. I despise scope leveling, and the wedge/slot system on the Spuhr mount eliminates that headache.

4) Return to zero. Even when I pull my rifle apart and remount everything (chassis and optic) I am usually within .1, maybe .2 of my original zero. One of these days, I will try it with just the mount going off and back on.

Well said. I agree with everything. I have removed my mount and scope assembly and put it back on, ensured it was slid up towards the muzzle and no change in accuracy. Having consistent torque helps with that too.

I have quite a few SPUHR mounts. 99% of them have been solid. I did have a set of caps crack after years of use. There was an updated version released at one point. I contacted Hakan Spuhr on Facebook and he took his personal time to tell me about the update version. I bought all of my mounts through Mile High Shooting and they treated me great. I cant remember who I spoke to, but they sent me new sets immediately. Also, just to add that I never realized I had cracked caps. My rifle never lost zero and it was during a random inspection that I saw them cracked.

Adding to all of the excellent reasons enumerated above...here’s an anecdote.

I’ve got a Spuhr on my Aimpoint T2, sitting on my SBR. I’ve beat the sweet Jesus hell out of that thing and drug it all over the place. Impact point hasn’t shifted from the original zero more than 3 years ago. 193 continues to leave an impact mark right behind the dot if I’m not being a fucktard on the trigger.

There’s an SP-4001 sitting downstairs, waiting for a scope to go on a 338NM, and there will be a Spuhr on my 308 when it gets its full time scope.

I’m not ditching my Badger stuff, but anything new is Spuhr. I don’t care what the fad of the day is, I know the Spuhr will work, full stop, and be convenient/satisfying as hell while doing it.

There are a lot of good mounts out there. Spuhr is one of them.
Spuhr mounts are not too heavy. They offer some nice features if you need them.
Integral level, attachment points for red dots,
There are less expensive ways to mount a scope that work well.
I use quite a few Spuhr mounts as well as several others. You will never go wrong with a Spuhr if it fits your budget.

Well after watching videos all morning plus the comments here, sounds like I need start saving my pennies for Spuhr mount. Question which one, 30 mm rings, which height? 1.181, 1.3, 1.5? And I have a 30 MOA pic rail on my RPR so 0 MOA or 20 MOA? Too many options lol

Well after watching videos all morning plus the comments here, sounds like I need start saving my pennies for Spuhr mount. Question which one, 30 mm rings, which height? 1.181, 1.3, 1.5? And I have a 30 MOA pic rail on my RPR so 0 MOA or 20 MOA? Too many options lol

1.4-1.6" height. Any additional cant depends on caliber, scope, and intended max distance.

For an RPR you're gonna need 1.5" high. With a 30 moa rail I'd suggest 0 moa on the mount.

Reactions: Creedmoor87
You could get some Seekins rings, enter a match (or, like 5 local matches) with the leftover scratch and call it a day..... ;)

Seriously, though, Spuhrs are really cool, and if that’s what you want, then that’s what you’re gonna want to get. Tons of people out there, though, with rifle dropping stories who will swear by any number of different rings.

I’m still waiting for Aadland to FINALLY come out with 34mm rings!!!! (Hint)

Reactions: plong
1: looks cool AF. This is most important reason

2: rings cut diagonally. Makes seeing turrets easier as well as optic not spinning when torquing

3: 4 bolts onto picc rail

4: 6 screws on each rinG

5: multiple attachment points

6: built in level in most models

7: bomb proof

All those are reasons I use spuhr. But mainly the first reason

Flexibility, flexibility, flexibiity

01 - Can mount some inline clipons on the A-0700 rail that attaches to the Spuhr mount, thus allowing use of clipons on bolt guns with no NV mounts.

32546550517_5c169cbf0a_k.jpg

==

02 - Can mount range finders on top (badger and larue have mounts that can do this also)

32491820837_49b162d80a_k.jpg

==

03 - Can mount SIMRAD on top while also mounting range finder on the 3 o'clock both on the Sphur (Badger can mount SIMRAD on top as well)

33712641168_98f94c54fd_k.jpg

==

04 - SIMRAD on top while Radius on 9 o'clock both on the Spuhr

39856902023_a1406d9e7c_k.jpg

==

05 - SIMRAD on top on near gun with HPR102 on 9 o'clock on near gun, both on Spuhr. On the far gun, we see the Radius LRF on top.

45687493534_ef805881e2_k.jpg

==
So flexibility, flexibility, flexibility. Other than that, they look like crap, but at night, that doesn't matter too much :D

01 - Can mount some inline clipons on the A-0700 rail that attaches to the Spuhr mount, thus allowing use of clipons on bolt guns with no NV mounts.

==

02 - Can mount range finders on top (badger and larue have mounts that can do this also)

==

03 - Can mount SIMRAD on top while also mounting range finder on the 3 o'clock both on the Sphur (Badger can mount SIMRAD on top as well)

==

==

05 - SIMRAD on top on near gun with HPR102 on 9 o'clock on near gun, both on Spuhr. On the far gun, we see the Radius LRF on top.

==
So flexibility, flexibility, flexibility. Other than that, they look like crap, but at night, that doesn't matter too much :D

Can even throw a George Foreman hotplate to picatinny adapter on the side for your range snack needs ?

Spuhrs are nice, and haven't shot with the new Warne mount, but their VP was in my shop today showing it to me. For a significantly lower cost it looked quite similar and also had the various mounting points all over. Could be a good budget option.

==

==

==

==

==

Question,
What's the tan cube on the bottom rifle?

... What's the tan cube on the bottom rifle? ...

HPR102

H=Heading (a.k.a. azimuth)
P=Pitch (a.k.a. inclination, displayed in cosine as well as degrees)
R=Roll (a.k.a. cant, displayed in degrees)

44555528755_d01eaa4de2_k.jpg

One day about 2 years ago, I was looking thru my PVS-30 one night and realizing what was missing was the HPR display I see most nights when looking thru the UTC-x. So, I set out to find usable substitutes. I found a few like the Accuracy First cant indicator you can get a tritium vial for. But I wanted all of them in one display. So, we made it. The third version should be ready soon and it is about a quarter of the size. Basically to allow night shooters to have azimuth, inclination and cant all ready just for the glance.

==

==

==

==

==

A master class in flexibility!

Bravo!

Reactions: brianf
I honestly wasn't expecting so much Spuhr love when I clicked this thread. Maybe they are just that bad ass! Or maybe its just a product successfully marketed to a group of people that loves to spend money?? MPA's $250 mount looks just as good as a Spuhr....is it not?

I'm gonna stick with my $150 Seekins rings until they let me down.

Last edited:
I honestly wasn't expecting so much Spuhr love when I clicked this thread. Maybe they are just that bad ass! Or maybe its just a product successfully marketed to a group of people that loves to spend money?? MPA's $250 mount looks just as good as a Spuhr....is it not?

I'm gonna stick with my $150 Seekins rings until they let me down.

No need to try to toss a “justify my cheaper purchase” or “I can do same thing with XYZ product that’s cheaper” grenade.

It’s lame and obvious when someone does that.

FYI, if you paid $150 for seekins, you overpaid by about $25.

304102e3-8d5d-4f90-9b19-a50a6f7f817f-jpeg.7063770

Oh boy, can we play "name the cool sh^t !!??"

Let's see the RRS mount is actually below the MRO in this pic ... and in front of that a PEQ-15(LA-5) with the raised adjustment knobs ... and then above and in front of that is a DRS SPARTN ... don't see many of those around where I am :D ... .and then behind that a NF scope, though not sure which flavor, but will guess a 5-25x t3 ... and on top a RAPTAR looks like an ES model without the ballistics module.
And the rifle is covered up ... but the butt stock matches my AIAX rear end.

Oh and an Accuracy First "cant" indicator, probably with the tritium vial.

==

==

==

==

==

Well, my pants just got tight.

I own a lot of Spuhr mounts and absolutely love them (for most of the reasons already mentioned).

After receiving this ERA-TAC mount yesterday, I'm looking forward to giving them a try - just for something different. Looks like it's typical German engineering goodness.

Well, my pants just got tight.

I own a lot of Spuhr mounts and absolutely love them (for most of the reasons already mentioned).

After receiving this ERA-TAC mount yesterday, I'm looking forward to giving them a try - just for something different. Looks like it's typical German engineering goodness.
Bite your Nazi tongue! Swedish! Who, incidentally, make all sorts of great knives and outdoor gear too!

I have two Spuhr mounts, but since I don't run NV (and prefer more of minimalist type set ups on my rifles), I have them just cuz. A solid set of milled rings (no need to true) will hold your scope and zero just as well and will never move if installed properly.

Unless you really use it as an additional attachment point (there are all sorts of solutions for this) a Spuhr is an example of massive over engineering and you are not getting much benefit for more than double the price of a set of really high quality rings or a "lesser" uni-mount.

My intention is not to shit on anyone who loves them, just to try to be honest. I love them too, but I also acknowledge that for 99% of people it is massive overkill. I would bet that quite a few people have them simply because they are the best.

Even if you are not utilizing NV they make a great base for a Doctor Optic red dot.
Another thought is that when you are mounting an expensive, top end optical sight high quality rings like Spuhr are good insurance against marring the tube and instantly dropping more value than the mount cost.
It's not all overkill and pride of ownership. (But that is OK as well.)

Reactions: Near miss
A set of Badger, NF, Seekins, Etc. rings do not require any lapping, and none of those are going to mar your scope tube either.

It's mostly overkill and pride of ownership when all sorts of products that cost half work just as well.

I'd treat this stuff different if I wasn't shooting animals and steel, and my life depended on it. Then why not by the best that can be bought?