• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Why Spuhr?

304102e3-8d5d-4f90-9b19-a50a6f7f817f-jpeg.7063770

Oh boy, can we play "name the cool sh^t !!??"

Let's see the RRS mount is actually below the MRO in this pic ... and in front of that a PEQ-15(LA-5) with the raised adjustment knobs ... and then above and in front of that is a DRS SPARTN ... don't see many of those around where I am :D ... .and then behind that a NF scope, though not sure which flavor, but will guess a 5-25x t3 ... and on top a RAPTAR looks like an ES model without the ballistics module.
And the rifle is covered up ... but the butt stock matches my AIAX rear end.

Oh and an Accuracy First "cant" indicator, probably with the tritium vial.

I'm still trying to figure out if it's actually a small carrier strike group masquerading as a precision rifle.

Bite your Nazi tongue! Swedish! Who, incidentally, make all sorts of great knives and outdoor gear too!

I have two Spuhr mounts, but since I don't run NV (and prefer more of minimalist type set ups on my rifles), I have them just cuz. A solid set of milled rings (no need to true) will hold your scope and zero just as well and will never move if installed properly.

Unless you really use it as an additional attachment point (there are all sorts of solutions for this) a Spuhr is an example of massive over engineering and you are not getting much benefit for more than double the price of a set of really high quality rings or a "lesser" uni-mount.

My intention is not to shit on anyone who loves them, just to try to be honest. I love them too, but I also acknowledge that for 99% of people it is massive overkill. I would bet that quite a few people have them simply because they are the best.

Hahaha, yeah I agree with that. It’s the extra 1 percent that some people are willing to shell out for. Overbuilt and over-engineered, definitely. I like that!

Spuhr, Sweden all day long. ERA-TAC, Deutschland!

Reactions: scharfschutze762
Pretty much all of the obvious benefits have been stated. For me, it’s the bomb proof over engineering and absolutely flawless machining.

I’ve had a few of the competing mounts and honestly it’s worth the few extra bucks for me to simply like the product more.

Bite your Nazi tongue! Swedish! Who, incidentally, make all sorts of great knives and outdoor gear too!

I have two Spuhr mounts, but since I don't run NV (and prefer more of minimalist type set ups on my rifles), I have them just cuz. A solid set of milled rings (no need to true) will hold your scope and zero just as well and will never move if installed properly.

Unless you really use it as an additional attachment point (there are all sorts of solutions for this) a Spuhr is an example of massive over engineering and you are not getting much benefit for more than double the price of a set of really high quality rings or a "lesser" uni-mount.

My intention is not to shit on anyone who loves them, just to try to be honest. I love them too, but I also acknowledge that for 99% of people it is massive overkill. I would bet that quite a few people have them simply because they are the best.

If you've ever seen high speed video of rifles firing, the amount of flex, especially on larger calibers is pretty noticeable in the barrel and scope. Obviously the longer the scope is the more it will flex but the Spuhr greatly increases the contact surface area over what a normal set of rings would give you. And the mount being one piece of billet aluminum and having 4 contact points with the rail, the chances of movement over time is much less than a set of rings.

I feel that any shooter that is going to put a ton of rounds down range and really work their rifle over in the field can benefit from a Spuhr mount or similar. If I was going light weight and hunting a set of rings is great.

That sounds good, and is logical, but I have thousands of .300WM on a set of Badger Rings, NF scope, and the scope has never moved, ever. Which tier 1 rings fail under recoil where the Spuhr doesn’t?

You don’t think guys have thousands of .338LM on Seekins with perfect results?

Again, not saying it isn’t “the best”.

That sounds good, and is logical, but I have thousands of .300WM on a set of Badger Rings, NF scope, and the scope has never moved, ever. Which tier 1 rings fail under recoil where the Spuhr doesn’t?

You don’t think guys have thousands of .338LM on Seekins with perfect results?

Again, not saying it isn’t “the best”.

I’ve seen or heard of optics move in most every set of rings with heavy calibers.

Including spuhr until rosin is involved.

The internet abounds.
I suspect improper installation.
How many Spuhr mounts do you see on low recoil tactical steel (PRS) rifles?
Lots.

Seen it on properly installed rings of all shapes.

Recoil does strange things sometimes.

Just like I’ve see or had just about every brand of optic go down and seen just about every brand of rifle have issues. Nothing is perfect.

I’ve used Spuhr mounts for a while across multiple platforms as well as Seekins rings and NF rings, never had an issue with any mount. That being said I’m not sure that I’ve ever truly put a mount to the test by falling a few stories with the rifle or rolling down a mountain with it.

Question though, admittedly im no mount expert, but is anyone able to quantity or explain the physics or point of usage when other mounting options fail but the one piece Spuhr doesn’t?

Truly interested in learning the physics or conditions needed to see the point at which Spuhr build quality takes over. (Not sure if that’s even possible to quantify or explain).

I also have Barrett Zero Gap rings. I shoot a Bolt Action 50BMG and honestly felt that Barrett has mastered that area of recoil. I love my SPUHR mounts, but I felt no other mount would give me piece of mind like Barrett would. They pretty much designed these rings for constant 50BMG recoil. With that being said, I dont mind sacrificing a little weight on the only interface between the scope and the rifle. So if you are only looking for rings that have 1 job and 1 job only, Barrett is the place to go.

I have been able to justify spending lots of money because something is "the best", however, unless you need the options that the Spuhr offers (mainly a specific cant, height, or accessory that can be mounted to the mount itself) then there is no reason to spend that money on a Spuhr over something like the ARC M10 QD.

The fact is that actually mounting the scope in the Spuhr is much more tedious than doing so in the ARC as the ARC has 4 screws while the Spuhr uses 16 :oops: The scope doesn't rotate while tightening the single ring screw either.

I can mount a scope in the ARC mount in 10 minutes or less with no muss or fuss.

I have been able to justify spending lots of money because something is "the best", however, unless you need the options that the Spuhr offers (mainly a specific cant, height, or accessory that can be mounted to the mount itself) then there is no reason to spend that money on a Spuhr over something like the ARC M10 QD.

The fact is that actually mounting the scope in the Spuhr is much more tedious than doing so in the ARC as the ARC has 4 screws while the Spuhr uses 16 :oops: The scope doesn't rotate while tightening the single ring screw either.

I can mount a scope in the ARC mount in 10 minutes or less with no muss or fuss.
if it takes someone more than 5 minutes to mount a spuhr i seriously question their ability to use a firearm correctly

Never had any rotation of the scope with the spuhr Mount compared to other rings I’ve used. I spend more time lining the scope up with my plumb bob and testing the tracking of the scope then I do mounting it.

If you can’t afford the time to turn the extra screws then you probably aren’t going to have much time for shooting anyways...

I’ve gotten pretty fast with the spuhr.

1: tighten down on pic rail

2: sit optic in mount and stage screws

3: get the 4 middle screws snug

4: put wedge in and snug the 4 center screws

5: pull wedge and torque 12 screws

I just center the optic in mount as I use the picatinny rail and buttstock to tweak eye relief.

Same process for checking with plump line on range. If reticle not plumb, loosen 12 screws and snug center. Plumb and torque center screws followed by the rest.

With my fix it stick kit, takes 10min or less.

I do like the arc rings as well. I prefer the flat top of the spuhr for seeing turrets though.

I’ve used Spuhr mounts for a while across multiple platforms as well as Seekins rings and NF rings, never had an issue with any mount. That being said I’m not sure that I’ve ever truly put a mount to the test by falling a few stories with the rifle or rolling down a mountain with it.

Question though, admittedly im no mount expert, but is anyone able to quantity or explain the physics or point of usage when other mounting options fail but the one piece Spuhr doesn’t?

Truly interested in learning the physics or conditions needed to see the point at which Spuhr build quality takes over. (Not sure if that’s even possible to quantify or explain).

If you are unmounting and remounting, like when switching barrels.. One piece mounts in general, do offer and advantage. Mostly how they transfer torque to the scope tube during installation..

I know, everyone has perfectly straight rails and rings with more than rubout scopes. I personally have had issues, and seen issue with the slightest bit of over torque on tubes.. You'd be surprised just how sensitive or main tubes are to torque.

Reactions: TangoSierra916
If you are unmounting and remounting, like when switching barrels.. One piece mounts in general, do offer and advantage. Mostly how they transfer torque to the scope tube during installation..

I know, everyone has perfectly straight rails and rings with more than rubout scopes. I personally have had issues, and seen issue with the slightest bit of over torque on tubes.. You'd be surprised just how sensitive or main tubes are to torque.

yes I agree with you there, Ive seen issues with a few other shooters rings slip or top ring loosen and lose zero.

A few have mentioned other one piece options, has anyone had the Nightforce Magmount one piece and had issues then gone to Spuhr and not had any? Curious between those two mounts.

All the reasons have been covered here already
Also Haken replies to your questions ane issues personally!
He helped me with fitment.
And one time I had an issue with the torque plate on one mount. He personally packed a replacement on a weekend. And express shipped it from Sweden!! Amazing CS.

That plus all the other features already mentioned will keep me Spuhr for life.

Looking for a 4616 right now.
For sale or trade for a 4016.
Thanks
FB_IMG_1552694207807.jpg

Last edited: