• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Why we Love the TRG'S - Range Report

rkgsmith

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2005
maryland
My partner and I went out today to do a little range work, mostly just basic trigger time. For the most part just lying prone on the rifle comprises about 20% of our training. The majority of the time is spent shooting from barricades, standing, kneeling, sitting, stress courses, etc, you know the drill. So for today we just decided to work on some basic trigger pulling skills and shot some groups. At the end of the day we swapped rifles to simulate one of our guns going down. We do this from time to time to make sure you can shoot your partners gun in the event something would happen to your own gun.

Our Gear: Both guns are TRG 22"s. Leupy LR/TMR 4.5x14x50. Both have forend tri-rails for the UNS, and both have Harris Bipods. His has a 3.25lb trigger, mine is almost 3.75lbs. Somewhat the same, and again somewhat different. LOP on both about the same, stock spacers are equal. He runs the 1/2" spacer in the comb and I run none. Scope height is a minor issue for both of us. The biggest difference in the two guns is barrel length, his is factory 26" and mine is cut to 22". Both wear the TRG brake. My round count just shy of 6000, his just over 4000.

Our ammo: Factory 168 gr HPBT Federal Match

Conditions: Weather was good, light breeze straight into our face, overcast and 67 degrees.

After about an hour of shooting groups we swapped guns and decided to each shoot a group. Well it started with 3 rnds, then 5 rnds. We each kind of looked at each other and had like a Forrest Gump moment and decided to just keep shooting. Both groups are for 10 shots.

His gun had 30 thru the barrel before the group, mine had 40. Both barrels were hot, not like egg frying hot, but hot enough. Both groups were shot just over 2 minutes. I shot from the bipod in soft earth, he shot off a pack.

The groups were shot on 1.25" diamonds (edge to edge). My group is the high right one, measuring ctc .571, and his is the low left at .597.
I'm assuming the groups are off center due to gun/shooter differences, but both good enough for Gov't work.

Overall the guns just plain shoot, and that's why we love em.

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0895-1-1.jpg

Re: Why we Love the TRG'S - Range Report

That is some nice shooting and great idea with switching rifles.

Hope you dont mind if I add a little. Like the OP states. Did the same thing today, went out to test some reloads I had loaded up. I am not much of a grouping shooter, just basically do that to check my zero and sight in. Anyways, my TRG is cut to 21". Cleaned out the barrel last evening after 500 of so rounds since last cleaning. Since I am not much for shooting groups, the lower right target was my baseline just to see if I was still following the fundamentals.

The rounds used was M118LR. The first 5 rounds was from a clean bore. Then I fired 6 reload groups, the last two groups were at top. Then my last 5 round group, using M118LR fired at the lower right target again, just to check. The lower right target is 10 rounds of M118LR.

Shot off a Sako bipod and rear bag. Cant say enough about my TRG and the sako bipod was worth every penny spent.

target.jpg

I have 600 rounds down the tube of my TRG-22; all that have been said about these guns are true. I have 4 other Remington’s 700 and one is a full blown custom and I never shoot them anymore. I just came back from Afghanistan and I decided to shoot my custom Remington and it broke. Broken bolt stop, the pin shared in half and I have a lot of money in that gun, I have about 1,100 rounds donw the tube on it. I ran my TRG-22 hard and I have zero problems with it. My plans are to get another one, they are that good.

alexander66

Only item I ever broke on mine is the small thread in pin that holds in the bolt release catch. Didn't effect the rifle, just made it so the bolt would come all the way out when pulled to the rear. Sako sent me a pack of 5 for my trouble.

If I remember correctly my partners gun with the factory 26" was the fastest of our 8 guns, somewhere in the low 2720-30ish, with 168's. Mine goes 2625 with Fed 168 factory and 2560 with 175 SMK's.

Loaned my TRG-22 to a friend to try F-Class and he outscored many of the full customs on the line, using a load tailored for another gun. It was a damned good load, mind you, but the guns just shoot. AG

The first 5 shots I fired after zeroing my NightForce NXS on my TRG 22 were handloaded 168 grain Sierra Match Kings with 41.5 grains of 4895. They went into a one ragged hole group about .65 inches. It was the same load I had loaded years before when I was shooting my match grade M1A. Talk about being very supprised and happy at the same time.

Hmm...I recently had my beloved Tikka M65A wrenched from me as my Unit is going over to all TRG 22's. I haven't even shot it yet but I was always able to keep up with the TRG boys. It'll be interesting to see how I get on now........