Will this stock fit my Remington 700 SPS Tactical?

flyfisher117

Professional Milk Jug Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Idaho
Stocks Stocks

Under the Nominal Specs it says <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cut for Remington #3 (Standard Police/Varmint) barrels ( .850" muzzle diameter) or extra heavy 5R Mil. Spec. (up to .980" muzzle diameter) 24"- 30" barrels as-is, may be opened-up to 1.250" bulls if necessary. Recoil lug to forend 12.25"</div></div>

So Im guessing my SPS Tac has the #3 contour but what throws me is where it says "24"-30" barrels as-is." Does this mean my little 20" barrel is too short? Sorry for the stupid question I just dont really want to buy the stock then find out it wont work

Re: Will this stock fit my Remington 700 SPS Tactical?

Very top of my original post. It says Stocks Stocks but it was supposed to say Stockys Stocks. Just click on it and it will take you to the page, theres quite a few stocks on their but Midway has more to look at if you ask me.

The 5r I believe has the same barrel profile as the SPS Tactical just shortened to 20 inches, and for awhile I had my SPS in a factory 5r stock, so you should be fine. You can always call stockys as well.

If I were you I'd look around in the sale forums looking for a take off stock from a 5r or an LTR, both are from HS Precision, both will be much better than the Hogue stock and you will save yourself maybe around 100 bucks. If you are set on HS Precision you should also look into the PST093 or PST086, these stocks were made specifically for short barreled rifles (the Remington USR and LTR) and have shorter forends.

This is my 20 inch SPS Tactical AAC-SD in the PST093
newsps1.jpg

Bell and Carlson also makes solid affordable stocks.

It should fit. The 5R has a little larger barrel profile than the SPS Tactical, just to show you how little difference there is in SPS Tactical and 5R stock fit-up I dropped a SPS Tactical 20" setup into a 5R stock and took some pics. By the way, you can get this HS Precision 5R stock used from time to time as a take-off stock for around $200-$225 shipped on several sites.
The stock in the pic. was once one.
Rather nice fit on the SPS Tactical, it just dropped in, look at the barrel channel recess, perfect.
JOE
SPSTacin5R1.jpg

SPSTacin5R2.jpg

Ok, thanks for the help guys, does this mean that I would be better off looking for a stock with the 5R barrel channel then? just because it does have the shorter fore end for the shorter barrel?

And I still dont know which stock to get. I have a thread running about which one and a lot of the guys said dont even bother with B&C even though everyone ive asked has liked their B&C stocks so im pretty much stuck for a while. I'm not sure which way to go.

Heck no. There is nothing wrong with a B&C stock if it fits you. Just because I shoot HS on several rifles dosen't mean HS owns me.
Here is another stock, a B&C I am going to drop a 700 .22-250 barreled action into for coyotes. Why, it fits me and I am confident with it.
Your SPS Tactical will also drop into this stock.
This stock retails for around $209 on StockysStocks, but can be had as used for around $160 shipped when you find one.
It is a B&C A3 Tactical. [Tan or Sand]
JOE

BCA3.jpg

That bottom "sand" colored stock is actally the first stock that I started looking at. The fit of the stock is the only thing that really slows me down when buying. I have no stores that carry any of these stocks close to me and no people very close either. Heck the nearest range is over an hour away. I've never shot a gun with a verticle grip and I'm not sure how much I will like that for coyote hunting. I also am not a fan of huge palm swells like some stocks come with.

If you dont mind me asking in order to run a bi-pod on that B&C Medalist, do you need the flat fore-end adapter for the harris or is it rounded enough?

In the end which of these stocks do you think will give me the most bang for the buck as far as function, quality, and durability. Im not searching to put 10 rounds through one hole. If I could get the gun shooting clover leaves at 100 yards then I will be happy because even as it stands now the gun with the hogue stock is still outshooting me.
HSP Pro Series M24 (not sure if I would like the palm swell
HSP Senero Varmint
B&C Medalist A3 "hook"

Keeping in mind that the gun is for both coyote hunting as well as target shooting.

Most of the local retailers, know matter where you live never inventory these B&C, HS, and up kind of stocks.
Internet sources like StockysStocks, etc. are your best option for selection and source. [Of course there is Midway, etc.]
Every one I own has either come with the firearm, or I have purchased off of a site used or new take-off or from an internet retailer.
I don't expect that to change anytime soon.
You don't need the adaptor, the bi-pod will fit just fine.
This pictured A3 has a larger palm swell, sounds like the stock you are looking for similiar to this one is the B&C A1 which has a more rounded forend.
Either of the two models are listed as varmit, tactical, or target models.
Earlier I posted that it's more about fit and confidence in your setup, not price or looks, it always will be.
It's like bolt lift knobs, fluting the bolt, fluting the barrel, etc., none of these increase accuracy, it's just called "tacticool", someone once said, not me, that "the only interesting rifle is an accurate rifle."
JOE

This is a SPS Tactical in a 5r take off. I believe it is the same stock you are looking at. Fits great and free floats the barrel. The muzzel diameter of the SPS is .850 and I think the 5r is lik .960 but the .05" difference doesn't really matter and is not noticable. The M24 design seems to be alittle better for hunting IMHO. The LTR stock is about an inch shorter but really doesn't make much difference and using a bipod would detract.
003.jpg

"He who hesitates is lost" It does not matter what the barrel length is as ong as the contour of the chamber fits. It can be a 26", 24", 20" or what ever.