• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Wooden siding - possible mold

DangerDave

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2024
Hellinois
Wooden siding is rotting and I believe there’s mold between the walls somewhere. I can’t see it but it smells horrible. Talked to the landlord and he basically told me that there’s no money to replace the siding since they just fixed up another rental property. The earliest he can do anything is next Spring.

None of us are allergic or anything but we would like to get rid of the smell. Any suggestions on how to do that?

Is living with it manageable for 6 months without any long-term health problems?
There is absolutely no guarantee. You could all already be seriously compromised and not even know it yet. Molds and mildews are terrible to be breathing in. The city/county/state health department and rental rules/regs should have you covered. They can test for mold, or you can take them a 3rd party test, and they can force the landlord to make repairs. Of course, he can refuse and they can condemn and no matter what, you will be the asshole.
I suppose you are not in a position to be able to move?

There is absolutely no guarantee. You could all already be seriously compromised and not even know it yet. Molds and mildews are terrible to be breathing in. The city/county/state health department and rental rules/regs should have you covered. They can test for mold, or you can take them a 3rd party test, and they can force the landlord to make repairs. Of course, he can refuse and they can condemn and no matter what, you will be the asshole.
I suppose you are not in a position to be able to move?
Yes sir. Next step is to buy a lot and build a house but with this economy, it’ll take me at least a couple years to get there.

Yes sir. Next step is to buy a lot and build a house but with this economy, it’ll take me at least a couple years to get there.
Well, for certain, document, document, document. Use text and email as much as possible because both are admissible in court. I'd start iwth telling him (again) that there is a bad smell and that you suspect mold. Ask when he can it tested and such. Have your own testing done, don't have to tell him and I wouldn't. Be seriously finding a new place to move. When you give him notice, and he wants to keep your deposit, gently remind him of the documentation you have. It would be worth your time to hire a lawyer, too.

EDIT: Another thought is to have a mold remediation professional come and give an assessment and provide an estimate. You could maybe pay that in lieu of rent...but you better have that in writing BEFORE you don't pay some rent. Also, you'd have that assessment in hand if needed.

Reactions: DangerDave