• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Would like help with first scope purchase.

Punkface

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2013
Hello, I want to start off by saying I've been attempting to research scope options for weeks and would like a little more current input. Most of the threads I've been looking at were from 2012-2013 and things sometime change between years, revisions, QC.

Thanks in advance!

I am looking to buy my first optic as a friend has gotten me interested in distance shooting. I currently have a Remington 700 ADL with the factory varmint stock and a 26" barrel. Plans to restock the rifle are set for the future. First, I would like to get a scope on it so I can shoot it while saving for a better stock.

Intended Use: target shooting, shooting gongs, shooting paper. I don't plan on hunting with this at all. I would like to shoot from ranges of 300 yards to as far as my skill can take me. My current goal is to be able to consistently hit a gong placed at 1000 yards.

My budget is extremely low compared to most of the setups I've seen posted here. I would like to keep it at $7-900. I can not break $1000. My original planned budget was $300 but I quickly learned from all the advice that going to $7-900 would open up my options immensely. I also don't mind buying used.

I prefer FFP and would prefer variable magnification but it is not a requirement if I can get a better quality fixed optic. I also greatly prefer Mil adjustments over MOA.

From my research I've become interested in the following optics ranked from most interest to least interest.

SWFA SS 3-15x42 - SWFA $699.95
Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP - opticsplanet $899
Bushnell 3-12x44 Elite Tactical G2DMR - opticsplanet $769
Weaver 3-15x50 - (least favorite reticle of the bunch but wouldn't mind using it) - opticsplanet $669

From what I can tell, they're all in mil/mil, FFP, decent optics, and will serve their purpose well.

Currently I'm leaning towards the SWFA and the Vortex because I've researched those most. I've looked through Vortexes in person and was impressed but haven't looked through the others. I don't mind that the SWFA doesn't have a zero stop because the guys that make the zero stop insert shims are local to me and I can get a set if needed.
The G2DMR reticle has tons of praise but I have no experience on what the benefit of a tree style reticle is over the others.

What are your recommendations? Any input or experiences with any of the above scopes are greatly interested.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
For similar money to the 3-12 you can get the Bushnell ET6245FG, 6-24x50 FFP mil/mil with the G2DMR reticle. If you must have illumination, the ET6245F is FFP mil/mil with a plain mildot reticle.

I have a vortex 6-24x50 ffp Moa/Moa. Moa is easier for me to understand.
I would look pretty hard at the vortex, and they have a great warranty

CameraLandNY has some demo Vortex Viper PSTs at a decent discount.
Owning several CLNY demos I can testify I can't tell them from new and with Vortex's ridiculously good warranty, you can't lose.

I like the Bushnell ETs a little better than the Viper PSTs, though, even if I have to give up a zero stop and illumination in the process.

The bushnell and vortex mentioned are both great scopes. IMO you should also look at the sightron ffp. I believe the 6-24 ffp with mil hash reticle and mil turrets can be had for $899 brand new. Just ask scott at liberty and he will hook you up. Ive used the pst and sightron and the glass is slightly better on the sightron. If zero stop and illum are necessary then pst all the way.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk