• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting & Fishing Wyoming F&G Big Game Hunting Ammp Proposal

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
The Wyoming F&G is pondering changing the Big Game rules to allow changes in the calibers you can use for hunting.

They are thinking about allowing the 223 fore deer and antelope. I'm all for it but I think they should have a min. bullet weight to preclude varmint bullets like the 40 grn use in the hornet.

Also they are considering allowing the 35 cal ammo if it's at least 1.5 inches long. I'm all for that. I've killed a lot of moose and a buffalo with my 4 inch Model 28 using SWCs.

For you Wyoming folks, if you can't attend one of the meetings I hope you'll write them giving your opinion.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/news-1000943.aspx

Re: Wyoming F&G Big Game Hunting Ammp Proposal

The only problem I see with making. 223s legal for deer is the lack of a good blood trail. Im sure with proper bullet selection you could ethically harvest a mulie with a .223 but most people dont care enough to use good ammo. Just a thought.

Did you look at the proposal for license fee hikes? Wow! I don't mind paying for the privilege to hunt, but the proposed fees are crazy! It will definitely put an end to some peoples hunting...

My word! basicaly a 50% price hike accross the board. I certanly wouldn't be willing to pay that much. Considering when I lived in Wyoming I was buying 2 Antelope tags, 2 deer tags, and 1 elk tag, I'd be reducing the number of tags I bought substantially. Probably drop it to just 2 deer or deer and elk.

Exactly! I don't mind a $5 rate increase here and there. But this is crazy! The nonresident tags really took it hard. Not only do I see more people being forced to quit hunting, I see more poaching if these increases go through...

Me thinks a rate increase might backfire. What is the point in raising fees if the net result is fewer hunters? Fees are only part of the equation when considering what non resident hunters bring to Wyoming. Lodging, food, fuel, taxidermy, etc will all be affected, and not in the right direction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gknutson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only problem I see with making. 223s legal for deer is the lack of a good blood trail. Im sure with proper bullet selection you could ethically harvest a mulie with a .223 but most people dont care enough to use good ammo. Just a thought. </div></div>

Idaho1991.jpg

.22 centerfires work just fine for deer....even large ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ouch!!!

http://gf.state.wy.us/web2011/Departments/WGFD/pdfs/WGFDFUNDING_FEECHART0002941.pdf</div></div>

Holy shit ! I thought our prices were high ! Your prices NOW are much higher than ours and the proposed increase is absolutely crazy . I can definitely do without a wy goat tag now .

I just sent in for my first preference point in WY, if this price hike is approved I will not be sending in for another. With gas prices as high as they are it's simply going to cost too much to go on the hunt.

I can't imagine the amount of money the state is going to lose by raising the price of tags that much. Not only of actual tag sales, but preference point applications from people planning to go there in the future.

PGS , I didnt say it couldn't be done. I was just thinking many people may use poor bullet selection and or poor shot placement. This could lead to many more animals lost. But I supose this could happen no matter the caliber.

Very nice deer BTW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exactly! I don't mind a $5 rate increase here and there. But this is crazy! The nonresident tags really took it hard. Not only do I see more people being forced to quit hunting, I see more poaching if these increases go through... </div></div>

this. This hike will really really put a damper on my yearly hunt camp I go on with my bud's family

Im with you PJS. I try to go to Wyo every year if I can. Sometimes doing pronghorn/mule deer combo. That wont happen if the increases go through. But I doubt they will have many premium tags go unpurchased.....just the so so units.