• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Yellowjacket Infestation

DangerDave

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2024
Hellinois
Yellowjackets built a nest behind the patio light two months ago. Instead of calling a pest control service, my landlord sprayed insulation foam and sealed up the only entry/exit (screw hole in between the lights).

Then they started going under the siding. He had another tenant (works for a pest control company) come out and spray something under the siding. Thought they died but they kept coming back. I bought $100 worth of yellow jacket sprays and killed a bunch of them. Despite all this, they’re still there and now they’re coming into the house through the gaps in the sliding door, window in our toddler’s room, and the basement too. I’ve sealed up most of these gaps using some spackle. Got better but we still kill at least 5-7 yellowjackets a day in the house.

The landlord and that pest control guy came back and looked around and did nothing. He is not taking this seriously at all.

I’m thinking of calling a pest control service but heard that their insurance doesn’t cover cutting into walls or removing siding etc. Assuming they need the landlord’s permission to do that and this guy doesn’t wanna spend a cent on this. I’ve told the landlord that he needs to find and get the nest removed by professionals.

If he doesn’t do anything in the next day or two, I am thinking of calling the department of public health and reporting him. I’m feeling helpless and not sure what to do. Thoughts on how to deal/proceed with this?

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to compel him to do it quickly.

If you haven't already done so, start communicating about the problem via e-mail so you can have the history.

Contact your health department and code enforcement department and let them know your landlord refused to remediate the problem. This will obviously put you in an adversarial relationship with landlord.

Don't withhold rent.

I agree, going forward do all comms thru email so there's easy proof of your efforts. Consult a lawyer on your rights and have a letter drawn up and delivered via method recommended by your lawyer. Be super persistent but polite.

Reactions: DangerDave
A $5 can of Ortho would have solved the whole damn mess in the 1st place. Too late now.

Good luck OP.

Those things are fucking Satan's Spawn!! I'm allergic to the fuckers, and kill every one I see ASAP!

They will all die soon, until then all you can do is keep killing them as they appear . They are a tough one to battle once they infest .

To kill them, mix Frontline flee and tick drops with canned cat food. They will take it back to the nest all will be dead in less than a week. Keep away from pets a kids. I put it in a little cage I built.
Best thing I have seen for 100% removal every time.
I wonder if this works with wasps (flying kind). We are inundated with wasps.

Diatomaceous earth and a small bellows to puff it into where you see them entering any cavities.

I would be very careful diatomaceous earth, just because it ends up anywhere and everywhere. It's basically fine silica particles with very sharp edges from fossilized plankton, algae etc. and can be dangerous to lungs if inhaled.

To kill them, mix Frontline flee and tick drops with canned cat food. They will take it back to the nest all will be dead in less than a week. Keep away from pets a kids. I put it in a little cage I built.
Best thing I have seen for 100% removal every time.

What does this work for??

Yellowjackets built a nest behind the patio light two months ago. Instead of calling a pest control service, my landlord sprayed insulation foam and sealed up the only entry/exit (screw hole in between the lights).

Then they started going under the siding. He had another tenant (works for a pest control company) come out and spray something under the siding. Thought they died but they kept coming back. I bought $100 worth of yellow jacket sprays and killed a bunch of them. Despite all this, they’re still there and now they’re coming into the house through the gaps in the sliding door, window in our toddler’s room, and the basement too. I’ve sealed up most of these gaps using some spackle. Got better but we still kill at least 5-7 yellowjackets a day in the house.

The landlord and that pest control guy came back and looked around and did nothing. He is not taking this seriously at all.

I’m thinking of calling a pest control service but heard that their insurance doesn’t cover cutting into walls or removing siding etc. Assuming they need the landlord’s permission to do that and this guy doesn’t wanna spend a cent on this. I’ve told the landlord that he needs to find and get the nest removed by professionals.

If he doesn’t do anything in the next day or two, I am thinking of calling the department of public health and reporting him. I’m feeling helpless and not sure what to do. Thoughts on how to deal/proceed with this?
Do you have a written lease? If yes, is there an infestation clause? And if yes, take your landlord to landlord/tennant court. Petition for a civil order to force him to action.

A mixture of Deltamethrin, Bifenthrin & Fipronil will kill them instantly & make sure the fuckers never return to where you sprayed. Done it a few times. It’s fun watching them hit the ground after being smoked by the spray.

They will all die soon, until then all you can do is keep killing them as they appear . They are a tough one to battle once they infest .
Wasps inside a wall are going to over winter and start adding to their nests next year. This is not a self solving problem. This is a problem that has reached infestation status because it was not properly treated. Now it's gonna be work.

Wasps inside a wall are going to over winter and start adding to their nests next year. This is not a self solving problem. This is a problem that has reached infestation status because it was not properly treated. Now it's gonna be work.

I was thinking it sounds like tenting may be necessary. Over 10 K professional pest job and PITA.
The poisoned cat food trick sounds interesting. Wonder if it would work on hai....

this is a nest Yellowjackets built in a wall at my deer camp/house!
I borrowed a bee suit and used a wet vac to suck them up!

Attachments

• IMG_4894.jpeg
    IMG_4894.jpeg
    579.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Wow
I was wondering about a poison bait too since the wasps are at a point in the year now when they are scavenging. They definitely like over ripe fruit. If they had a definite exit it would be easy to fashion some kind d of soap water trap over it and start reducing numbers.

I setup a trap a couple days ago with sugar water, dish soap, and some yellowjacket specific trap bait stuff from Walmart. Didn’t even catch one.

If the pest control doesn’t do anything tomorrow, I might try that flee+tick drops and cat food stuff. Right now, I’m just killing them with flip flops.

Reactions: stello1001
Yellow jackets are meat eaters.
The pet food trick absolutely works, and itll kill the queen. If you dont get the queen you dont kill them.

Kick the landlord in the nuts for using spray foam, when he could have used foaming bee bopper. You cant seal up a nest....what a moron.

Heres a trick for you.
I had some i couldnt get gas to, and i couldnt burn.
Pulled the safety cage off a bug zapper on one side. Put open side over their hole. Plugged her in, stirred them up. Itll kill every one.

We once had an underground yellow jacket nest under one of our front porch planter's retaining timbers. Spraying the entrance and surrounding area on consecutive days with wasp spray was a futile exercise that only seemed to piss them off even more. Flooding the entrance with water repeatedly did next to nothing as well.

I was recommended to put some water in a shop vac with a little bit of Dawn dish soap to give the water a little surface sheen. Place the vac hose in or very close to the main entrance to the nest and let it run for a half hour or so. Once they are sucked up and contact the soap filmed water, their wings get tacky wet and can't fly. They pretty much swirl around inside the vacuum until they drown.

We did this and it pretty much sucked up the whole colony. Being short tempered little demons, they will keep coming to the nest entrance to defend it and get sucked up by the vacuum. A couple days later, we dug up the dirt around the entrance and were amazed at the honeycomb structure they had built underground. No yellow jackets were discovered in the nest area on excavation day. The vacuum trick worked wonders.

We once had an underground yellow jacket nest under one of our front porch planter's retaining timbers. Spraying the entrance and surrounding area on consecutive days with wasp spray was a futile exercise that only seemed to piss them off even more. Flooding the entrance with water repeatedly did next to nothing as well.

I was recommended to put some water in a shop vac with a little bit of Dawn dish soap to give the water a little surface sheen. Place the vac hose in or very close to the main entrance to the nest and let it run for a half hour or so. Once they are sucked up and contact the soap filmed water, their wings get tacky wet and can't fly. They pretty much swirl around inside the vacuum until they drown.

We did this and it pretty much sucked up the whole colony. Being short tempered little demons, they will keep coming to the nest entrance to defend it and get sucked up by the vacuum. A couple days later, we dug up the dirt around the entrance and were amazed at the honeycomb structure they had built underground. No yellow jackets were discovered in the nest area on excavation day. The vacuum trick worked wonders.
I found out about this a little late. My landlord closed their only entrance up and they’re all stuck in the wall. New ones keep coming and are trying to get in one way or another. At this point, they have to cut in to the wall and remove the nest.

Termidor or Taurus SC (Fipronil) in a sprayer works wonders. I normally use it to keeps ants/termites away but will kill yellow jackets/wasps without mercy. I have a colony in a tree (big enough that I bought a bee suit for). But it also works well in openings - bugs don't see it, smell it or taste it. They unknowingly take it back to the colony.

Back when I worked out of a logging camp we always had problems with the dang things. We would dump flour on a stump and place hamburger in the center. After a couple of days you could follow the trail of flour to the hive. We would dump gas in the hole, killed them every time. We did not light the gas.

I wonder what their ground colonies look like....https://thekidshouldseethis.com/post/aluminum-ant-hill-cast-video

I had one I couldn’t get to under my porch. I bought a pack of those bombs that gas 3,000 sq ft. Stuffed it in the entrance/exit

It pissed them off for sure but did the job. Pick a time when nobody is around for 4-5 hours. Bomb them and air out the house

No shit. That’s why asking didn’t make any sense. It’s yellowjackets. The whole thread is about yellowjackets. It works on yellowjackets. The answer is yellowjackets.

You're the one that brought up fleas and ticks sir... I honestly didn't realize that yellow jackets are meat eaters.
Flees and ticks, duh.

If that was sarcasm it wasn't well played.

Reactions: Kamerad
I was just remembering a friend that was tasked with tearing down an old shack of a house so they could build a nice big custom home on the property. The old shack was home to a pioneer and had been unhabited for decades. It was really a nice place for the area at the time it was built but not salvageable. It had no insulation in the walls. He said when they went to start tearing it down, everyone had to take cover, got stung and one guy had to go the ER because he had been stung like 100 times and nearly died. They had taken over the walls of that old shack and there was a huge hornet type nest in one of the rooms.
They called in an exterminator who said he didn't have equipment to take care of the problem. They teamed up and wore suits and built a big tarped in scaffold all around the house. It was fumigated via a machine for several days with kill traps set up all around. He showed me pictures and it was like something out of National Geographic where there are entire cliffs of honeycomb with some half naked dude robbing honey while rappelling. Truly amazing. They still didn't get a 100% kill.
If it had been me, I'd have waited for February and used 1000 gallons of kerosene.

EDIT TO SAY: these were bees not yellow jackets but still not fleas or ticks...

EDIT to the EDIT: THAT was a little bit of sarcasm.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: armorpl8chikn

Place landlords face over the nest. Fixed

Bifen everything all around the site...ground, siding everything. Its got a good residual and they carry it back in the nest with them on their legs. It kiils the hell out of anything with more than 4 legs.

I was just remembering a friend that was tasked with tearing down an old shack of a house so they could build a nice big custom home on the property. The old shack was home to a pioneer and had been unhabited for decades. It was really a nice place for the area at the time it was built but not salvageable. It had no insulation in the walls. He said when they went to start tearing it down, everyone had to take cover, got stung and one guy had to go the ER because he had been stung like 100 times and nearly died. They had taken over the walls of that old shack and there was a huge hornet type nest in one of the rooms.
They called in an exterminator who said he didn't have equipment to take care of the problem. They teamed up and wore suits and built a big tarped in scaffold all around the house. It was fumigated via a machine for several days with kill traps set up all around. He showed me pictures and it was like something out of National Geographic where there are entire cliffs of honeycomb with some half naked dude robbing honey while rappelling. Truly amazing. They still didn't get a 100% kill.
If it had been me, I'd have waited for February and used 1000 gallons of kerosene.
A match would be much cheaper

20240830_151915.jpg
problem solved

Yep, excellent post.
Just like the zapper its self fueling. They stay pissed off and cant win against it....and it just kills them systematically.

Like @Loner said, gasoline.....it will knock them right out of the air if you can get a mist on them.
I used to live in the deep woods of the Ozarks and the damn things were everywhere along with dirt daubers, bees, bumble bees, hornets, et al.
Gasoline will kill the ever loving fuck out of them all instantaneously, it takes no prisoners.
Only problems are getting it directly on them before it evaporates and flammability (duh).

No matter how this works out for you I'd get one of those $1.49 spray bottles at dollar general or where ever and keep about 1/2 cup of gasoline in it until you are certain the problem is solved.
Store wisely because it's possible the gas might melt the spray bottle plastic.

You're the one that brought up fleas and ticks sir... I honestly didn't realize that yellow jackets are meat eaters.

If that was sarcasm it wasn't well played.
Well, your lack of: 1) basic knowledge about the world, 2) the ability to keep a general theme in mind while reading a ~thread~, and 3) abstract thinking skills required to recognize sarcasm has nothing to do with wether or not it was well played.

Go back to slaying British dicks.

Shall I explain that one to you as well, bruv?

See, that’s another joke. Bruv, get it? Like the the slang term they use amongst the lads in Jolly Olde England?

Again, that’s a flippant term used….

Oh never mind. This works on Yellowjackets.

• Haha
Reactions: UKDslayer