You don’t see flat spins in commercial aircraft that often……

You "can" stall a tail, but its pretty rare... it's possible in a t-tail aircraft to get into a deep stall where you basically blank air flow over the tail and the tail then "stalls" not necessarily because of exceeding critical AOA, but because you have a ton of really dirty air coming off the wing that blanks out the tail. MOST t-tail aircraft have stick pushers on them to prevent this. Im 99% certain the ATR has a pusher.

Feathering is, as rjajacobs points out, for a failed engine. If the prop is not spinning fast enough, it is like having a big giant parachute dragging on that side. So, in the event of a failure, feathering turns the prop at an angle, sideways, that lets the wind go right through. Even if the outside engine was in failure, in a spin, you would rather have that outside engine dragging, not slipping through the air. Anyway, if there was a spin due to an engine failure, and the prop is not feathered, it would be the inside engine, the drag pulling the aircraft in that direction.

Reactions: Jigstick
As an airline pilot, although no time in the variety that crashed, I'm actually quite impressed they were able to get it into a flat spin... That takes...talent...
I'm not a pilot. I talked to an old experienced one today who opined it was icing.

Have you watched the Juan Browne video? Care to share your thoughts for those of us who are not pilots?

Severe icing at 17K feet.
This is what I read.

I’ll leave it to pilots to verify the possibility.

Remember that time the Virgin rocket pilot transitioned the wing from “flight” to “landing” in the midst of the rocket burn.

It does require you be a rocket scientist.

I’ve got a little time in the 72. It’s damn near impossible. As usual. Reserving my comments for the official report. Some speculate icing. I’ll be very curious. A stall is hard enough, but a flat spin, well like you said, raw talent.
How hard is it to get the nose down like that. If they are not centrifically pinned to a bulkhead “Everyone to the cockpit now!

Last edited:
Air cools at 3 deg per 1K feet in dry conditions. 6 deg per 1K in moist conditions.

I have done a jump where it was in the 60's on the ground and -4 ambient at exit altitude.

I don't think I have yet recovered from the shrinkage induced from -4 at 120 kts. At least, that's what I tell her.
Let her know when the frost bite injury is hurting putting it somewhere 98.6 and moist is the only thing that will help.

Feathering is, as rjajacobs points out, for a failed engine. If the prop is not spinning fast enough, it is like having a big giant parachute dragging on that side
In a flat spin, counter clockwise (viewed from the top) I think I want the right engine dragging (not pulling) and the left engine pulling hard to get out of the spin. Reducing thrust or feathering, not sure which works faster or allows quick reengagement after the spin stops.

Saw a video of a YouTuber/Influencer that bought new plane and didn't know how to use it. First or second flight out killed herself and her dad because autopilot got her into a situation she had no idea how to get out of or that she was even in it.

In a flat spin, counter clockwise (viewed from the top) I think I want the right engine dragging (not pulling) and the left engine pulling hard to get out of the spin. Reducing thrust or feathering, not sure which works faster or allows quick reengagement after the spin stops.

Saw a video of a YouTuber/Influencer that bought new plane and didn't know how to use it. First or second flight out killed herself and her dad because autopilot got her into a situation she had no idea how to get out of or that she was even in it.
That is not how spin recovery works. Spin recovery in a multi engine aircraft is one of the most difficult things to do. The recovery rate is probably in the low 20% of all spins. Designs help mitigate the issues that get you in it but ultimately it’s up to the pilot to recognize and recover before it even happens. A commercial aircraft recovering from a flat spin is almost certain death. They aren’t designed to spin at all, let alone a flat spin.

There is a reason you don’t see aerobatic multi engine airplanes (excluding jets) and almost all aircraft certified aerobatic are centerline thrust. Single engine or centerline thrust jets. It’s just not a situation you want to find yourself in on accident.

Reactions: NoDopes
How hard is it to get the nose down like that. If they are not centrifically pinned to a bulkhead “Everyone to the cockpit now!
Watch an F22 demo a flat spin. The elevators are flapping all over. The difference is it has the thrust to weight ratio to just power out of it. It’s also designed for that shit

The recovery rate is probably in the low 20% of all spins. Designs help mitigate the issues that get you in it but
ed7d469ab018e8234a9409abff2ef79eac6dc2555515b98f7f6222680307e06c_1.jpg

Something I haven’t seen mentioned here yet (though I’ll admit I only skimmed some posts) is that icing changes the shape of an airfoil as it builds. So even if they were doing everything “right,” it may not have been enough if the ice buildup was such that the airfoil’s new shape didn’t allow the production of lift sufficient to regain controlled flight.

But I’m going to sit back and let the investigators do their thing before I hang the pilots. Nobody yet knows for sure what happened.

Watch an F22 demo a flat spin. The elevators are flapping all over. The difference is it has the thrust to weight ratio to just power out of it. It’s also designed for that shit
Doesn’t the F22 have a computer adding inputs that a pilot would never be able to accomplish?

As you state though it’s immaterial when they add thrust and whether it has wings or not it will go forward in the direction it’s pointed.

In a spin it’s not just about nose down. Problem is in a flat spin even the elevators could be unresponsive. It’s just a bad situation to be in
Only thing I’m thinking is nose down they may get some air over the wings but perhaps you go from being a straight falling frisbee to a spiral lawn dart.

Can you say Boeing 737 Max and the stall indicator or whatever they added without training for it and the pilots misinterpreted the info and did opposite of what should have been.

My understanding is the 737 is possibly a good plane but trying to keep it in the specifications of the previous model to prevent a new training program was a bad idea.

Standing by for correction from the pilots hete.

Only thing I’m thinking is nose down they may get some air over the wings but perhaps you go from being a straight falling frisbee to a spiral lawn dart.
Well yes in a traditional spin where you corkscrew. But in a flat spin the re is no airflow over the wing or elevator therefore they are pretty much useless. The best you could hope for is opposite rudder might help force it down but that’s a big if.

Reactions: pmclaine
Can you say Boeing 737 Max and the stall indicator or whatever they added without training for it and the pilots misinterpreted the info and did opposite of what should have been.

My understanding is the 737 is possibly a good plane but trying to keep it in the specifications of the previous model to prevent a new training program was a bad idea.

Standing by for correction from the pilots hete.

Ill just leave this LOL here... LOL...

This crash and the issue that caused the Max to crash 2x are completely polar opposites to be barely containable on the same planet...

How anybody could attempt to draw a comparison between the two except that they are both "airplanes that crashed and killed people" is ridiculous.

• Haha
Reactions: Baron23
Ill just leave this LOL here... LOL...

This crash and the issue that caused the Max to crash 2x are completely polar opposites to be barely containable on the same planet...

How anybody could attempt to draw a comparison between the two except that they are both "airplanes that crashed and killed people" is ridiculous.
I’m not saying the 737 issue had any similarity to the Brazil incident.

Earlier poster mentioned a new pilot that did not recognize inputs or reaction of autopilot and performed opposite to what the technology was telling her.

Wasnt at least one of the max crashes caused by a new “takeoff stall” technology and the pilot without training did opposite of what should have happened?

Reactions: NoDopes
Doesn’t the F22 have a computer adding inputs that a pilot would never be able to accomplish?

As you state though it’s immaterial when they add thrust and whether it has wings or not it will go forward in the direction it’s pointed.
It also has vectored thrust.

Check out this accessible article and the info on F-22 and thrust vectoring in stall and how the flight control system coordinates all of the means of maneuvering.

• Love
Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
That is not how spin recovery works. Spin recovery in a multi engine aircraft is one of the most difficult things to do. The recovery rate is probably in the low 20% of all spins. Designs help mitigate the issues that get you in it but ultimately it’s up to the pilot to recognize and recover before it even happens. A commercial aircraft recovering from a flat spin is almost certain death. They aren’t designed to spin at all, let alone a flat spin.

There is a reason you don’t see aerobatic multi engine airplanes (excluding jets) and almost all aircraft certified aerobatic are centerline thrust. Single engine or centerline thrust jets. It’s just not a situation you want to find yourself in on accident.
So he should not have attempted that lomcevak in a 72?

The tail isn’t what recovers, an aircraft stalls at the wing not the tail. Any aircraft can be stalled at any speed. It’s an angle of attack equation. In commercial aircraft, and probably all aircraft, we’ve changed the way we train recovery from a stall. When I first started we would train to power out of a stall. Throw the thrust levers to the fire wall and power out. Now in many cases we just lower the angle of attack to get the wing flying again. Many times we don’t even touch the thrust levers. If icing was the culprit here, there’s very little ability to recover especially at low altitude because to lower angle of attack you almost certainly will give up altitude. Then there’s secondary stalls in a recovery which is usually where a spin occurs.
Agreed, same thing I said earlier in the thread. My point here was that I thought I’d heard that Ttail’s could also stall a tail and become unrecoverable because of the dirty air coming from the stalled wings, essentially blanking out the tail.

Well, except for this guy....saw him at an airshow in Daytona when I was at Embry Riddle...oh, at least a century ago! haha

View attachment 8478074
View attachment 8478075
My favorite pilot of all time. Much better than Yeager, in my opinion, and much more humble and likable. He could pour tea from a pitcher into a glass set on the instrument panel with one hand, while performing a roll with the other and never spill a drop. His finale was to shut the engines down, perform a loop and a roll dead stick into a landing, and coast up to show-center and stop right in front of the crowd. Incredible.

Agreed, same thing I said earlier in the thread. My point here was that I thought I’d heard that Ttail’s could also stall a tail and become unrecoverable because of the dirty air coming from the stalled wings, essentially blanking out the tail.
aka "Traumahawk"

Perhaps my description of the technology was off.......is this fake news or since been found false......?

Both crashes were linked to the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS), a new automatic flight control feature. Investigations into both crashes determined that Boeing and the FAA favored cost-saving solutions, which ultimately produced a flawed design of the MCAS instead.

In 2016, the FAA approved Boeing's request to remove references to a new Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) from the flight manual. In November 2018, after the Lion Air accident, Boeing instructed pilots to take corrective action in case of a malfunction in which the airplane entered a series of automated nosedives. Boeing avoided revealing the existence of MCAS until pilots requested further explanation. In December 2018, the FAA privately predicted that MCAS could cause 15 crashes over 30 years. In April 2019, the Ethiopian preliminary report stated that the crew had attempted the recommended recovery procedure, and Boeing confirmed that MCAS had activated in both accidents.[5

My favorite pilot of all time. Much better than Yeager, in my opinion, and much more humble and likable. He could pour tea from a pitcher into a glass set on the instrument panel with one hand, while performing a roll with the other and never spill a drop. His finale was to shut the engines down, perform a loop and a roll dead stick into a landing, and coast up to show-center and stop right in front of the crowd. Incredible.
He did the loop to dead stick at the show I saw. And…can’t remember where or how… but his trick was doing a loop with a glass of OJ on the dash and he kept the g’s so constant it never moved or spilled a drop. He was incredible.

Cheers

Perhaps my description of the technology was off.......is this fake news or since been found false......?

I guess I dont really know the point you are trying to make vis a vis this crash to the 2 Max crash's... I dont see any similarities between the two honestly...

I thought it was actually the correct procedure but the Boeing system deactivated the powered assist which made it impossible to recover from the dive manually.

No. You cant manually re-trim the aircraft when its going north of 400kts(its basically impossible north of 250kts)... but the crew in Africa had their heads so far up their asses they had no clue what state the aircraft was in because when shit went south the Captain was basically single pilot trying to fly the airplane and assess the problem as the FO was so inexperienced to be basically useless at that point.

Reactions: Im2bent
No. You cant manually re-trim the aircraft when its going north of 400kts(its basically impossible north of 250kts)... but the crew in Africa had their heads so far up their asses they had no clue what state the aircraft was in because when shit went south the Captain was basically single pilot trying to fly the airplane and assess the problem as the FO was so inexperienced to be basically useless at that point.
that's what I said... they needed to deactivate the MCAS system which was crashing the plane, but once they did they, they also lost power assist. It was a design flaw in the Boeing flight software.

Reactions: pmclaine
that's what I said... they needed to deactivate the MCAS system which was crashing the plane, but once they did they, they also lost power assist. It was a design flaw in the Boeing flight software.

had they not left the power at the stops and been accelerating to somewhere north of 400kts when they hit the ground, they could have manually re-trimmed no problem. We practice manual trimming, jammed flight controls, runaway trim, etc...

I fly the Max so I think I understand how it works...

Reactions: BoilerUP
??? Not sure I understand...his Shrike was not stock...is that what you are saying? Mods to it for aerobatics wouldn't surprise me but I dunno anything about his aircraft.
Bob Hoover commander 500RA was not certified for aerobatics. But Hoover being Hoover he did it anyway. I believe it was experimental due to some modifications but don’t quote me on that

So, this should be familiar then?

Boeing has unveiled software changes that should make erroneously engaging the system less likely, and less challenging for pilots if it ever does happen. They are awaiting certification for the changes after “hundreds of hours of analysis, laboratory testing, verification in a simulator and two test flights, including an in-flight certification test with Federal Aviation Administration representatives on board as observers.”

• The system will compare data from both sensors to avoid inaccurate readingsinstead of relying on one sensor at a time. If inputs are off by more than five and a half degrees, MCAS and the speed trip system will be inhibited for the rest of the flight.

• MCAS will drop the plane’s nose only once each time it detects a high angle of attackinstead of doing so persistently.

• Nose down movement will be easier to overcome by pilotsin order “to override MCAS input with sufficient manoeuvring ability that the aircraft can still climb.”

• Better training on the differences between earlier generation 737s and the MAX.

So, this should be familiar then?

That software was about to be released shortly after the first crash... then the second crash occurred a few weeks later and...2 fucking years later...politics got in the way... Not that Boeing didnt really shit the bed in all this, but the FAA wasnt clean either, although they continue to act like it... They allowed Boeing to do all the shit they did. They allow lots of shit to go on that shouldnt all the time and then when its exposed/they get caught, they want to attempt to drop the hammer on the "perpetrator" who usually has evidence that "the FAA signed off on us doing it this way"... and things go away.

And ill be honest the "re-training" for return to service wasnt anything to write home about...but then again, here in the USA we tend to not be a bunch of fuckwits flying transport category aircraft...

BUT again, what does the Max shit have to do with the ATR crash??? Nothing but people trying to continually dredge up old tired shit thats been dealt with and trying to keep making Boeing look bad.... "oh my god a tire fell off a 757, that Boeing hasnt touched in 35 years, what a piece of shit Boeing is putting out"... LOL

Reactions: Im2bent and Baron23
BUT again, what does the Max shit have to do with the ATR crash??? Nothing but people trying to continually dredge up old tired shit thats been dealt with and trying to keep making Boeing look bad.... "oh my god a tire fell off a 757, that Boeing hasnt touched in 35 years, what a piece of shit Boeing is putting out"... LOL
I think it was a spin-off discussion about how/when pilots are/aren't doing the correct actions to save the plane and if it's even possible.
Damn, untwist those panties.

Reactions: LeftyJason
I think it was a spin-off discussion about how/when pilots are/aren't doing the correct actions to save the plane and if it's even possible.
Damn, untwist those panties.
problem is nobody knows WHAT HAPPENED to cause this ATR to get into a flat spin... so discussion on what this crew did or did not do in this situation has zero meaning since we have no clue what they did... We cant say "they did this right" or "they did that wrong" or whatever...

Accident investigation 101 is not to speculate...

That software was about to be released shortly after the first crash... then the second crash occurred a few weeks later and...2 fucking years later...politics got in the way... Not that Boeing didnt really shit the bed in all this, but the FAA wasnt clean either, although they continue to act like it... They allowed Boeing to do all the shit they did. They allow lots of shit to go on that shouldnt all the time and then when its exposed/they get caught, they want to attempt to drop the hammer on the "perpetrator" who usually has evidence that "the FAA signed off on us doing it this way"... and things go away.

And ill be honest the "re-training" for return to service wasnt anything to write home about...but then again, here in the USA we tend to not be a bunch of fuckwits flying transport category aircraft...

And yet when you ask, any pilot what aircraft they want to fly, they all say the 757