You just don't see rifles like this too often...

BookHound

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I've had a very long and, frankly, stressful day. So, figured I'd try to end on a positive by sharing pictures of one of the coolest rifles I've ever gotten to put my hands on. These pictures don't do it any justice either.

I am too tired to write up the details, so I'll do that later. But for now, I give you...SEXY COOL!!!!

Sorry for the dust on this one. That macro lens captures EVERYTHING! LOL.

Cheers all...

Mark

I just saw that on your FB page Mark. That is a very cool rifle. Top notch work from your shop as always.

I'm interested to hear what kind of wood that stock is made out of. It looks like a piece of curly sapele.

Last edited:
Wow! That does it for me, coming from a woodworking family. That is just about the baddest wood stock I've seen used on a practical rifle. Very Nice! I also like the bolt knob on it...classy.

Sweet Jesus that's a nice rifle! I was at AO last week and I saw a couple of other very cool builds. It's not just that they are exacting builders, they execute the ideas that are swimming around in the customers head, and they do it exceedingly well. I hope to get pics of the build I was picking up posted here soon.

Name it tiger fiddle back is a much tighter finer pattern tiger maple is awesome. At one point I had a chunk of quilted maple that was lake bottom recovery wood ad it was a deep silver almost black with an amazing quilted pattern

I have seen quite a few trap guns with would very similar to that but that's the first rifle with wood that beautiful! One of the best looking rifles I have seen but I would hate to shoot it for fear of scuffing it.

Looks like a Russo (sp?) stock. He, or whoever made this does excellent work!
-
That is exactly what my 1st thought was also on the Stock, (thought it was a Russo ) . This wood Stock looks real nice also .
I have fondled a Russo babinga wood and a curly maple like the one in the Pic. Those things are just badass sweet rifle wood .

I am throwing another guess in that it is a Joel Russo stock. He did my A3 stock for me, and his wood stocks are top notch. As fancy or as plain as you want them. He is a great guy with real reasonable prices.

I know that it is a piece of art, but that rifle begs to be shot. That curly maple is a hard wood and will take abuse. Plus, that rifle will distract all your competitors and they won't be able to concentrate after seeing it on the line. I'm so taken by that stock that I sent a picture to both my brothers for them to drool over too. We've all built wood stocks for our black powder rifles, but nothing at this level of art.

My Hawken style flintlock wears a walnut stock with a big stripe of white heartwood in it and is finished with linseed oil. So it's nice, but dull looking due to the oil finish. My Dad's flintlock wears a bird's eye maple two piece stock and it's also nice. So we enjoy a nice hardwood stock when we see one.

BTW, how does one contact Russo? Does he have a website?

Joel did one of his A5L stocks for me a few years ago - nothing as striking as the one here, but a very nice stock, nonetheless. Mine was done on a laminated blank, and was definitely the easiest laminated stock I've ever finished. His inletting was very good, needing very little additional work before I finished it using Devcon. Same goes for the exterior finish - it required minimal shaping & sanding before applying satin urethane varnish.

I went with a pretty basic stock, leaving off the adjustable cheekpiece & buttplate in order to keep it light, but if I were doing it again, I'd probably go with adjustable cheekpiece & KMW clampbar hardware. Very nice alternative to fiberglass stocks, and just as practical.