• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Your Feedback on My Decision, Please

Jonny Quest

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2011
Houston, TX
Howdy from Texas. I'm new to this forum. Long time shooter here.

I've got a Remington 700 Stainless Special 5-R Milspec Barrel .308 cal that needs glass. I'm a little short on ca$h right now, so I put a limit of $1,200 for optics.

I really wanted to go with the NightForce 5.5-22X50 but that was too close to $2,000. So I decided to go with the IOR/Valdada 4-14x50 with the illuminated MP8 reticle. I believe that is a 30mm tube. I'm thinking about using the NightForce Direct Mount for the Remy 700.

Any other suggestions in the $1,000 range (+/- $200)? The other offerings that I considered were: Leupold Mark 4 Tact ical, Nikon Monarch X Tactical, and the Super Sniper 3-9X42.

JQ

Re: Your Feedback on My Decision, Please

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> wait a month for the new SWFA SS 5-20x</div></div>

+1000. Chances are that it might be a little out of your price range but it definitely worth a wait. Hell, even if it is a little expensive for you you'd probably be wise to save a little extra. The SS HD's have really nice glass, turrets, reliability.....and the new 5-20x model has a ton of extras that will place it in the same playing field as scopes costing a lot more. Be patient my friend.

Welcome to the Hide Jonny. You didn't mention the distance you'd like to shoot, but that is a great rifle for whatever you want to do. I have an IOR 2.5-10 on my GAP SCLE and am very happy with the quality of the glass and accuracy of the tracking. You could also look at some of the Vortex models depending on what exactly you want. Vortex is competing with the high-end companies at a much lower price while still having excellent services.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> wait a month for the new SWFA SS 5-20x</div></div>

+1000. Chances are that it might be a little out of your price range but it definitely worth a wait. Hell, even if it is a little expensive for you you'd probably be wise to save a little extra. The SS HD's have really nice glass, turrets, reliability.....and the new 5-20x model has a ton of extras that will place it in the same playing field as scopes costing a lot more. Be patient my friend.</div></div>

bet w/ the "hide pricing" it won't be out, considering he said $1000 +/- 200... I read that as $1200

I think you'll love the IOR, the reticle rocks and the glass is some of the very best you can buy. That particular scope is SFP, I believe.

You have a mixture of FFP and SFP scopes in your list, first decide what features you MUST have, then ones that are nice to have, but not required.

By all accounts, the SS 3-9 is a good scope, I prefer more magnification. It is a no nonsense FFP scope, built to military standards.

Other scopes worthy of consideration:
Weaver tactical 3-15x (ffp)
Vortex PST (ffp OR sfp)
Sightron (sfp)
Bushnell elite tactical (ffp)
and the Nikon Monarch X (sfp), which you are already considering

I like your choice of the IOR and have also considered it. However with the new SS available in the not to distant future I have decided to wait and see it and look through it before buying a new scope.

I made the decision to wait after consulting with Race Bannon.