• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Your opinions on first scope

Hatley

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2011
Fort Worth TX

I am a new member but I have been lurking for a while. I have read through many pages of posts to learn as much as I can before posting a question. I am much more familiar with scopes and am ready to make a purchase but I would prefer your opinions before doing so.

1. I am going to build a 22 trainer with a CZ452 varmint. I am considering either a PST 2.5-10x44 or a SS 3-9x42. I considered a SS 10x42 but I found it does not focus    well below 50M which would hinder my training.  I know these may be overkill for a 22 trainer but I want the scope to be similar to what I will use on a long range platform and I could always move the scope to a different platform.  Your thoughts please.

2. I have had a Tikka T3 tactical 223 for a while but have done nothing with it. I am considering a PST 4-15x50, SS 10x42 or your recommendations in the same price range.

I should probably do my homework before asking this question but here goes.

The Tikka has a factory flat base. After I have completed my training with the 22 if I decide to shoot to 600 yds or beyond will I have to replace the base with a 20 moa for the scope to have enough travel for these distances?

Thanks for your help and I appreciate all of the training stickies.

David

Re: Your opinions on first scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pending</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 
I am a new member but I have been lurking for a while. I have read through many pages of posts to learn as much as I can before posting a question. I am much more familiar with scopes and am ready to make a purchase but I would prefer your opinions before doing so.

1. I am going to build a 22 trainer with a CZ452 varmint. I am considering either a PST 2.5-10x44 or a SS 3-9x42. I considered a SS 10x42 but I found it does not focus    well below 50M which would hinder my training.  I know these may be overkill for a 22 trainer but I want the scope to be similar to what I will use on a long range platform and I could always move the scope to a different platform.  Your thoughts please.

2. I have had a Tikka T3 tactical 223 for a while but have done nothing with it. I am considering a PST 4-15x50, SS 10x42 or your recommendations in the same price range.

I should probably do my homework before asking this question but here goes.

The Tikka has a factory flat base. After I have completed my training with the 22 if I decide to shoot to 600 yds or beyond will I have to replace the base with a 20 moa for the scope to have enough travel for these distances?

Thanks for your help and I appreciate all of the training stickies.

David </div></div>

David,

IMHO, neither of the two scopes you have selected is ideal for a 22 rimfire, because of focus/parallax issues below 100 yds.

In the same price ranges:

Falcon Menace 4-14x44mm FFP MIL/MIL clear focus down to 10yds. $385.

and if you can still find them:

Bushnell 4200 3-12x44mm FFP MIL/MIL clear focus down to 20 yds and under $600 on closeout.

Also look at the Bushnell SFP and FFP 4200 6-24x50mm Tacticals, but they will run more $.

As to base changing, you can also use the Burris Signature Zee rings to get 10 or 20 MOA of cant without changing your base.

For the Tikka, the 4-16x50MM PST Vortex is a excellent choice.

Bob