• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Zeiss 6-24x72 or 56 is there really a difference?

jeffersw

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
Guru's
I'm in the processing stages of purchasing a new scope for my Rem 7 .300 Ultra and was courious what you guys thought of the scopes listed. Is there that big of a differnce in the 56 vice the 72? I hunt Elk, Deer, Bear, Moose and Caribou. I like the low light factor and the range the scope provides but just not sure if the 72 is too much scope for the rifle? The cost is relativly the same minus mounting hardware which is negligible at this price point.

Re: Zeiss 6-24x72 or 56 is there really a difference?

Yep. This is my first post on this forum.

Anyway, the 72 was designed and specced for hunting by moonlight - Legal and the norm in many countries in Europe.

You wont go wrong with the 56 in the USA for daytime hunting. If you do ALL your hunting in the last few minutes of daylight, or you hunt by moonlight and cant afford thermal, then go for the 72.

Chris

Chris - Thanks for the info and that was one of the reason's why I was looking at the 72 to begin with. I enjoy hunting in those early parts of the morning and late evenings where other hunters aren't able to. I've missed out on more opportunites where I wasn't able to focus on an amimal at those hours and had to let it walk. I just wasn't sure if it's actually too much scope and feel akward while shooting. Do you have experience shooting with it NZ?

OFFDAGLASS I have been researching this topic for myself. I am not going to be using it for hunting but for "target" shooting. I too enjoy being able to engage targets when others have to go to NV or just give it up. From what I have found (I have been looking in to Hensoldts) is the 72mm is worth the more money and size. Thats proably the one I will go to. I had a Diavari 6-24x56 and was able to extensively compair it to my NF 5.5-22x56 and wasnt able to see very much difference at all (in low to no light conditions). I ended up keeping the NF b/c it had a illuminated reticule. I hope this helps.

I have a Zeiss 4-16x50 Diavari FL & the glass is the best I have ever seen (and I'm a Schmidt & Bender guy)!!!

The 4-16x50 would be an excellent choice if you are going to use on a hunting rifle - fairly sleek for that size of scope - look at it, you'll be impressed!!!

Jbell - I'm prob going to end up buying the 72mm as their isn't much of a price difference between the two. I really like the low light ability of this optic compared to others.

Buckey - I will check into these as well before I make the purchase. I want to see the scope over the gun so I can get a look at what I'm in for.

Pilot - I've been talking with dealer here and I'm going with the Bager Ordinance Pica M700 rail and 34mm USMC SASR Extra high rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 72 is going to requre pretty high rings and is going to sit up there quite high. You will probably need a cheek piece. </div></div>

negative, the Hensoldt 6-24x72 does not require much higher rings than every one thinks. I had them in a set of Badger USMC rings with plenty of clearance.

I have three 6x24x72 scopes and if you are a hunter and you want low light get the 72mm. HDC-Deadly is right they do not require much more height to make them work.They have no equal in low light period.That includes all the Big name glass.I know because I have tried them all.

HDC - I want to install the scope on Badger Ordnance Picatinny Rail M700 Right Hand Long Action 20 MOA with Badger Ordnance 34mm USMC M107 SASR Extra High 1.49" Steel Ring Set. Is that how you had your setup.

i am thinking about getting either the 56 or the 72 to put on top of a mini-windrunner. with the profile of the gun i am not sure i'll need rings that are quite as tall as those on a 700. either way I have a bit of time since i have an awful lot of saving to do to be able to buy the scope.
wink.gif

I mortgaged my left kidney and purchased the 6-24x72 Hensoldt. It is by far the best low-light scope I have ever used, and I've owned two or more of the ALL top end scopes over the last decade. I haven't run the elevation up and down to check tracking, nor have I shot the box. I have it in a Near Alpha mount on a Near 30 MOA base. Just my $0.01 worth.

I got the 72mm Zeiss Diavari. With an AMU contour barrel, the scope bell would just touch the barrel so I had to go with higher rings (in the 1.40"+ Near and Badgers). Anyone with a thinner contour should be fine.

The 72mm definitely has the ability to peer into dark areas that other scopes can't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...The 72mm definitely has the ability to peer into dark areas that other scopes can't. </div></div>
...and then some.

Re: Zeiss 6-24x72 or 56 is there really a differen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFFDAGLASS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chris - Thanks for the info and that was one of the reason's why I was looking at the 72 to begin with. I enjoy hunting in those early parts of the morning and late evenings where other hunters aren't able to. I've missed out on more opportunites where I wasn't able to focus on an amimal at those hours and had to let it walk. I just wasn't sure if it's actually too much scope and feel akward while shooting. Do you have experience shooting with it NZ? </div></div>

Unfortunately I havent shot this scope in NZ or anywhere. A 50mm objective suffices for most of my shooting, as the deer are elusive so im giving up on them until the roar.

I dont think youll have a problem with the awkwardness, as the 56 is quite big anyway. If you want to make that last shot and not loose the trophy, there are certain sacrifices you have to make!

From my research, there is $1000 USD difference in the above scopes, if its worth it, its worth it, but for me the S&B is perfect for my shooting.

If that helps?

Chris

No difference in glass, big difference in price. I've tried the 72mm but ended up with the 56mm wich is also a great scope and also more versatile for hunting. Don't know what kind of rifle you guys use but the 72mm diavari requires pretty high rings at least on my a-bolt.The 56mm is now mounted in QR-rings with only 3mm between barrel and scope. Dont get me wrong, the 6-24x72 is a mighty scope but I like the smaller 6-24x56 better and I do a lot of nighthunting (hogs) and it works great.

I have the Zeiss Victory 56 FL illuminated on a Remington 5R 308 and its good enough for full moon. Its plenty enough scope without swamping the rifle and can be carried up hill as the whole package comes in at 13 1/2 lbs. The 72 is as good as it gets but without a clear night and loads of moonlight there just isn't going to be enough definition to work with. For the few nights that there is enough light then the 56 will work fine too. For the rest of the time 72 is just excess weight and bulk imho.

If you have plenty of money and can have a dedicated, medium to heavy, rifle for the 72 then go for it. But with limited funds then a 56 will be the much better option.

Lastly I love the 60 ret on mine.

72mm/24x = 3mm of light
56mm/24x = 2.33mm of light

This is close to a 29% increase in light transmission. The human eye on a really bright day will be able to take in 3 + to 4+ or – millimeters of light.

In short it does help.

Mike @ CST

I've had my Hensoldt 6-24x72 in a side-by-side comparison with a buddy's Zeiss Victory Varipoint 6-24x56 on a semi-overcast night. There was a difference. Was it enough for the Varipoint owner to wish he had my Hensoldt? No, at least not for my buddy. He felt the trade-off in size/handle-ability more than off-set the image difference. I don't have any trouble handling my rifle, so naturally, I disagreed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mm of light? mm is a measure of distance, usually. Do you happen to know what this means?</div></div>

Exit pupil in millimeters.

Mike @ CST

Ok, thanks Mike.

BTW, you're doing a great job in your instructional videos. You come across as sincere and knowlegable and able to speak without a script. Way to go!

Guys - Thanks for all the responses as it's been very helpful in determining which scope to purchase. I was able to view the scopes side by side to do a comparison of the 2 both in low light and normal shooting situations. While I think the 72mm is a sexy looking scope on the rifle it is a lot of glass to protect. I went with the 56mm for a couple reasons. It was a bit smaller and a little more managable than the 72. During the low light testing both performed extremely well. Much better than the Swaro I have now. There seemed to be a little more glare in the 72 in low light versus the 56 but nothing major.

Thanks again for all the great info.

I'm glad you like them.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3EEBk40b1M8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3EEBk40b1M8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Mike @ CST

There is a big difference in the two scopes when you turn up the power in low light.The 6x24x56 scope is a great scope but when you crank up the power past 14 in low light it tends to black out and with the 72mm its not a problem.I tend to shoot long range on wheat fields in last light for big bucks and I use the extra power almost like a spotting scope.Im sure on 6 power there would not be that much difference but that is not how I use mine. The 72mm is worth it for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joycey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">during the middle of the day, on a sunny day, does the 6-24x72 bring in to much light? that it nearly makes it to hard for your eye to focus? </div></div>
When there is "too much" light in bright daylight, your eye pupil will limit the amount of light entering your eye, so there is no difference in brightness between scopes with different objective diameters.