• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Zeroing Question

2625fps

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2009
NC
For Christmas I picked up a preowned Remington .22 for my son's first rifle. It has Cheap varible 3-9 scope. The scope obviously has adjustment for zeroing purposes, but has no adjustment for elevation or windage after the fact.

First, at what distance should I have him zero the weapon? Since there is no adjustment for elevation, should the point of aim vs. point of impact be slightly higher when zeroing to compansate for the range of the weapon?

For example, at work we use M4's with Eotech's. We BZO them at 25 yrds with 1" dots. With that target we aim at a dot that is 1.5 inches above the impact dot. So when firing, the rounds impact slightly low until we get out to 100yrd + were point of aim / impact is the same.

Should I be using this same type of method with the .22, or am I missing something?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Zeroing Question

I assume the reticle is a cross hair / Duplex correct?

If so I would run a 50yd ZERO and call it even.

IF you go with a MIL-Dot reticle, I would run a 150yd ZERO due to the ability to hold 25yds to 200yds for holds.

Let me know when you get it and want to ZERO the rifle.

John

Hey John, yeah it's a cross hair reticle. I already picked it up. I was planning on zeroing it this Monday. I'll have the little guy this weekend, so I wouldn't be able to do it while he's here.

You are over thinking it. Point of aim and point of impact should be the same for whatever distance you zero at. If you are setting up your M4 to be 1.5 inches high at 25 yards and right on at 100 yards, then you are not zeroing it for 25 yards, it would be zeroed at 100 yards. That being said, I zero my .22 at 50 yards and it works well for me.

I like to zero a .22 at 50 yards/meters.
That puts 25 yards very close for poa=poi.
If the reticule is a duplex and scope variable power, you can then easily find a power setting at which the post is correct at 100 yards. Kind of a poor-man's BDC.