• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

1000 yard shot at golf ball with 338LM

Rob90

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2010
Kansas
I just got a new Savage 110BA in 338 LM. I have been searching various forums to get an idea of where to start with my hand loads. I don't know if this was posted before but I would like everyone's opinion.

Texas long range

I do a lot of LR shooting with my 6BR and 6.5x47 Lapua but damn a golf ball at a 1000. I guess I should sell all my reloading equipment and have those do it for me.

Re: 1000 yard shot at golf ball with 338LM

Sorry. That's not me. Should of thought about what I was writing better. I did not want to sound like a douche and call BS from the get go. I had that very same thought furtaker. I have the very same NF scope as the shooter and there is no way in hell I could see a golf ball at a 1000

I know the shooter, range, and instructor. It happened as it is stated in the write up. They are not liars. That 338 was banging steel at 1760yds last saturday, as I was a witness. But yea seeing a Golfball at 1000 is very tough.

I beleive he did it. But the hole in the golf ball just seems too small for a 338 Lapua. You would think it would do more damage. It might be just the way it seems in the pic. And to do it with a factory rifle (or has it had work?) is great!! Was it a first round hit?

Golf seem to self heal when hit. The damage to them is pretty unimpressive.

But it is freakin sweet to see them zing off when hit!

With the golf ball being pretty much a rubber core inside the bullet goes through it and the outside stretches and returns back to its original size. From what I remember it was the first shot.

I wouldn't have even been in the same zip code. I don't plan on killing game farther out that 100 yards if I can help it, so shooting at something that small from that far away will never be an accomplishment for me.

I have a DTA 308 with the 338 conversion. I shoot just about every weekend. we have drilled small holes in the golfballs and tied orange bungee string to them. I consistently hit at 500 yards with my 308 allday long. the golfballs do seem to seal back up and leave a very small hole. I shoot out to 1K all day on steel and I believe I could do it but man it would be very very difficult to see the ball that far.

nice shooting. for a savage
wink.gif

Good shootin for sure, that ammo needs a round of applause as well. As for the golf balls we would beat the crap out of em with 308's at 100-200 and when we would go pull em there was just a bunch of little carbon ringed pinholes. That's also the first time that I've seen that rifle and it hasn't looked like a crew served weapon in someones hands.

The 110BA is freakin sweet. I had a chance to shoot one this weekend and really want one!

In fact the one linked to the range day in the original post is the one I got to shoot this weekend.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0sR1TVBvpfM"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0sR1TVBvpfM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I'm with most of you here.

I have certified 20/10 vision, and there is no way I could see a golf ball at that range. A tennis ball maybe, but not a golf ball.

Then, you get into the white on white target he is seen in front of.

I would have to see it to believe it. I don't care WHO vouches for the guy. I'm skeptical. No offense to any present company. That's just my nature.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm with most of you here.

I have certified 20/10 vision, and there is no way I could see a golf ball at that range. A tennis ball maybe, but not a golf ball. </div></div>

Well he wasn't shooting open sights so vision doesn't play a huge role.

And if you look closely there was no way to mount that golfball to the target he standing in front of.

The golfball is on that nice brown/black dirt.

You can see a golf ball at 1000 yards fairly easy when it's white against brown. If Jay said Branden hit it I believe him.

Good shooting Branden.

5.5-22x nightforce.... Thats how you see a golfball at 1k. With good visibility and 22x magnification, the golf ball would appear similar through the scope as it would with the naked eye at about 46 yards.

If you cant see a golf ball at 46 yards....

What's "certified" 20/10 vision? I never get a PCS when i get a vision test.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DDay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't have even been in the same zip code. I don't plan on killing game farther out that 100 yards if I can help it, so shooting at something that small from that far away will never be an accomplishment for me. </div></div>

Really? Bowling is pretty fun. Ever thought about that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5.5-22x nightforce.... Thats how you see a golfball at 1k. With good visibility and 22x magnification, the golf ball would appear similar through the scope as it would with the naked eye at about 46 yards.

If you cant see a golf ball at 46 yards....

What's "certified" 20/10 vision? I never get a PCS when i get a vision test. </div></div>

It means that you can discern clearly an object from 20 feet which a person with 20/20 vision can discern clearly from only 10 feet.
When I took my class 1-A flight physical, my vision was determined to be 20/11 . . . but that was a long, long time ago. Wish I still had that vision. Don't mind the bald head and gray hair, but DAMN do I miss my vision!!!!

As previously mentioned, the golf ball is usually positioned with a backdrop of brown dirt and sits on a black spray can top. While it is small, it's definently visible. I shot with the guys this last weekend as well and the savage is up to the task. I called Jay up to find the round count and the shooter connected on the 10th round on a .2 moa target.

I thought everyone had a .25 moa gun on the Internet so I don't see why people don't believe it.

Don't knock it till you try it! You can see a golf ball at 1000, granted you can't tell if it is a Pro V1 or a Top Flite. I wouldn't doubt it for a second that it could be hit! I ve seen a guy with an Sps Tactical.308 cold bore a Slazenger@750 in a 20 mph wind.....also watched a certain person cold bore a full size IPSC from 1780 with a .300wm.... both of said rifles wore NF 5.5x22 NXS's.

You guys believe what you want, I will believe what I've seen! Just because you have done it doesn't mean it cant be done.

Lots of tricky shit happens at that place:)

i was there when the shot was made and if anyone would like to pay for a day of training i will bring my 338lm and do it agian!!!!!! have a great day branden

Yes, the shot was made on a golf ball at 1000 yards with witnesses, and it was my 338 Lapua Mag ammo being used (see link). It was a 250 grain SMK loaded in Hornady brass. The hit happened on shot 10 or 11. It was not a first round hit. The rifle does shoot very well.

After shooting and reloading for many years, I've seen (and done a few) some very interesting shots on small targets at crazy distances. I never thought we could be making hits at 1780 yards (20 yards further than a mile) on a 22" target with a 300 Win Mag. I never thought you could actually shoot 1 3/8" groups at 600 yards. So, if you are a "na sayer" about certain things that can be done with a rifle, I'd suggest you buy a rifle, learn to reload accurate ammo, and go shoot. You might just learn a few things.

I was gonna throw up the BS flag but honestly, I've never tried to see a golf ball at 1000 through any optic and I have seen and even made a few pretty amazing shots so all I can say is... DAMN! That's the best shot I've ever heard of!!!

But the fact that it wasn't the first shot softens the blow to my ego considerably...
smile.gif

I bet that dude with the REPR that was shooting playing cards at 1,000 could give these guys a run for their money. His name escapes me but he was pritty legit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad, was this just some of your ordinary loads, or did you spend a special amount of time on them? </div></div>
It was my basic 338 ammo with 250 SMK and Hornady brass. No load work up was done with this rifle. However, I have worked with several 338 Lapua Mag's to develope a solid load that shoots very well out of all 338's we have tried.