• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics šŸ‘€

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

2024 grip and grin

Punched my first tag of 2024. I've not had a buck shrink on me from 27 yards before, but he did. šŸ˜„

More than likely, I got a bit too excited with the new season jitters and tried to add 20" to him. Either way, he did me a favor of running from the woods and into a pasture to die. I lost him on the run, and then couldn't find him in the open pasture at first. Blood trail wasn't great as I buried the NAP Killzone into his offside shoulder. It was otherwise a great hit, went through both lungs and clipped the top/rear of the heart from a slight quartering away.

I started to worry when I couldn't find him out in the open. That would mean he'd have ran at least an additional 100 yards into the thickest of brush here at the ranch. Since he went out into the pasture, I couldn't hear him running/crash from my stand either.

Stood on my pond berm to get a better vantage point, and found him right below me at the water's edge. Went about 60-65 yards total.

Was thrilled that I didn't have to try to track this buck in the dark through that brush. I shot him about 50 minutes before sunset, and started my search 30 minutes later after I walked back to the house. My first ever doe here I shot during rifle season in the evening (many years ago), lost her in that same brush patch, and finally found her by luck early next morning only 15 yards in.

View attachment 8516737
View attachment 8516736

I have one stud that cruises through the ranch regularly this year (so far). I was hoping that it was this guy, but when I got up on him I realized that it wasn't even close.

Rookie mistake...my old ass got way too excited when I saw antlers. šŸ˜„ I've done that with a rifle several times, just not with a crossbow before.
If you donā€™t get a bit excited when you draw on buck, itā€™s time to hang it up, lol. A dead buck and full freezer is always a win šŸ‘

Reactions: Modoc