• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

223 good bullets

dareposte

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
www.dop3.com
I've got a 1:9 twist AR that I usually just shoot wolf or green-tip through, but am starting to think about reloading for it.

I had a box of 60gr Sierra HP's that I tried a load out with using H335, it did better than factory but not what I would hope for.

I know for 308 there's several "standard" loads (4895, 4064, Varget, 168SMK's) but is there an equivalent load that most AR's just seem to like or at least shoot reasonably well? I'd like to get it under 1 moa.

I'd prefer to meter my charges for 223 instead of weighing them, but accuracy is king.

Re: 223 good bullets

25.5gr H335 under 52 Amax, 50 Vmax, 55 FMJ's, 55 Blitzking's

27gr BLC-2 under the same bullet selection

26.2gr BLC-2 under 75 Amax seated 0.010" off lands

23.8gr IMR4064 under 75 Amax seated 0.010" off lands (this is a trickle only load and compressed at my seating depths.

52SMK/26.0gr Varget. Not ideal for longer distances, but should work well for an AR at distances out to 200-300yd. I would think that 69gr at AR velocities and barrel lengths would be about as heavy as I'd like, and again I like the SMK. Somewhere around 26.5gr(C*) of Ramshot Big Game should bring it up to a decent performance level.

Greg

I have an AR and a bolt in 223 and both of them shoot the 60 gr. V-Max over 24.1 grs. of IMR 4064 and Wolf 223 primers very tight. Of course the 4064 doesn't meter so you'd have to weigh.

If you want to go to a heavier bullet, these guys have already given you some good options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcsniperone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ditto, or try 22- 23.5 0f benchmark and the 68 hornady, 69 sierra. </div></div>

You getting any pressure signs with those? Benchmark is a little fast for that heavy of a bullet isn't it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WASP7067</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcsniperone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ditto, or try 22- 23.5 0f benchmark and the 68 hornady, 69 sierra. </div></div>

You getting any pressure signs with those? Benchmark is a little fast for that heavy of a bullet isn't it?</div></div>

None, but I moly every bullet I own. I shot highpower for years using 24.8 grains of varget with a 75 grn. moly coated bullet with great results. Then when Benchmark came out around the year 2000 I tried that. I never went back. It meters like a ball powder and I'm getting around the same velocity as varget with over a grain less powder, which is around 2850fps with a 75 grain moly pill in a 24 in. tube.
I'm using 23.4 grains of benchmark and a 75 a-max in my f-class rifle and 23.5 in my AR-15 coyote whacker with a 60 grain V-max.
Its the only powder I use in the .223 now for the past 10 years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcsniperone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WASP7067</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcsniperone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ditto, or try 22- 23.5 0f benchmark and the 68 hornady, 69 sierra. </div></div>

You getting any pressure signs with those? Benchmark is a little fast for that heavy of a bullet isn't it?</div></div>

None, but I moly every bullet I own. I shot highpower for years using 24.8 grains of varget with a 75 grn. moly coated bullet with great results. Then when Benchmark came out around the year 2000 I tried that. I never went back. It meters like a ball powder and I'm getting around the same velocity as varget with over a grain less powder, which is around 2850fps with a 75 grain moly pill in a 24 in. tube.
I'm using 23.4 grains of benchmark and a 75 a-max in my f-class rifle and 23.5 in my AR-15 coyote whacker with a 60 grain V-max.
Its the only powder I use in the .223 now for the past 10 years. </div></div>

thanks, I'll have to give it a try. When I got into reloading 5.56, I bought 2 kegs of Benchmark just from reading people's opinions and because of availability at the time. After I got it, I wished I had gotten Varget for heavier pills because it was a slower powder (well that and I could use it for all my .308 loads). But it's good to hear someone else is having success with heavier bullets/benchmark. I wasn't even going to try it for anything over 55gr.