• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

223 Redding Seating Die Bottoming Out

Afkirby

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2009
Mechanicsville, MD
I'm using a standard 223 Redding seating die, turning it down until I feel the crimp touch the mouth of the case, then backing it out 1/4-1/2 a turn. I've got the seating stem bottomed out and it barely makes it to 2.260 OAL with a 75 BTHP, and doesn't quite get to 2.220 with a 55 FMJ. Any ideas for a longer seating stem?

Thanks!

-Kirby

Sounds like you need a VLD seating stem .

How would a VLD seating stem help with 55gr FMJ? Are the VLD seating stems significantly longer or just have a different degree?

It sounds like something isn't adding up OP.... I doubt a seating stem will solve that.

What press are you using? Are you using an O-ring under the lock ring by chance? Have you screwed the die a little more down and actually checked if it did crimp or not? I run seating dies on my Dillon, which usually requires the most room given the big toolhead, and haven't had that problem.

Maybe post a picture of your setup as well... zoomed in on the die in the press

How would a VLD seating stem help with 55gr FMJ? Are the VLD seating stems significantly longer or just have a different degree?

It sounds like something isn't adding up OP.... I doubt a seating stem will solve that.

What press are you using? Are you using an O-ring under the lock ring by chance? Have you screwed the die a little more down and actually checked if it did crimp or not? I run seating dies on my Dillon, which usually requires the most room given the big toolhead, and haven't had that problem.

VLD stem ID is smaller,engages SOME bullets closer to the tip which seats the bullet deeper . I have run into this with a Redding 6 x 45mm seater before .

From Redding :
Redding also makes the following accessory VLD seat stems for use with many popular VLD style bullets. These bullets have a much shallower ogive angle and may actually bottom out in the standard seat plug. The VLD Seat plugs have a proper internal contact angle and generally a smaller diameter to engage a VLD bullet in a more effective position for proper seating.

Reactions: Gustav7
VLD stem ID is smaller,engages SOME bullets closer to the tip which seats the bullet deeper . I have run into this with a Redding 6 x 45mm seater before .

From Redding :
Redding also makes the following accessory VLD seat stems for use with many popular VLD style bullets. These bullets have a much shallower ogive angle and may actually bottom out in the standard seat plug. The VLD Seat plugs have a proper internal contact angle and generally a smaller diameter to engage a VLD bullet in a more effective position for proper seating.

I see, could remedy the situation. I still feel like something is missing though... Interested to see what his set up is like

From Redding :
Does Redding make this vld stem for a regular die like the op is using? They are made for the competition seater they offer. Redding does offer a vld micrometer addon for a reg die.

Take a case and run the seater down until you feel the crimp start to touch. If cases are trimmed to same length you don’t have to screw it out some arbitrary amount.

using a Dillon 550, cases are trimmed to 1.750". If I turn the body of the die down any further it begins to crimp the neck. No O-Ring, or any other shim under the lock ring. My RCBS seating die will essentially push a bullet all the way into an empty case by comparison.

Reactions: Gustav7
using a Dillon 550, cases are trimmed to 1.750". If I turn the body of the die down any further it begins to crimp the neck. No O-Ring, or any other shim under the lock ring. My RCBS seating die will essentially push a bullet all the way into an empty case by comparison.

Weird... not sure why that die would be that unforgiving. Without diagnosing anymore I would assume its the die's issue. Sort of annoying I feel like lol

I use a Forster Micrometer seater on my Dillon 550 and I love that thing.

Take a case and run the seater down until you feel the crimp start to touch. If cases are trimmed to same length you don’t have to screw it out some arbitrary amount.

Cases are all trimmed +/- 0.001 on a Giraud. I've experimented with backing it off the minimum amount to get the desired seating depths, and its getting close, or right at max oal with the two bullet types I have.

-Kirby

Just got off the phone with Redding, they're sending me a seating stem with a smaller hole so it will engage the bullets sooner. Hopefully that will work out.

-Kirby
Excellent news, glad you have it worked out . Must be they do offer VLD stems for their regular dies after all .

I'm using a standard 223 Redding seating die, turning it down until I feel the crimp touch the mouth of the case, then backing it out 1/4-1/2 a turn. I've got the seating stem bottomed out and it barely makes it to 2.260 OAL with a 75 BTHP, and doesn't quite get to 2.220 with a 55 FMJ. Any ideas for a longer seating stem?

Thanks!

-Kirby
1/4-1/2 turn is quite a large back out (~.018"-.035") try reducing it to 1/16-1/8 turn (~.004"-009")