• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

243 Ammo for AR 10?

Apexpredator65

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2012
I just picked up an AR10 in .243 and I'm looking for suggestions for ammo from some of you guys that may have one, or may have experience with them. I'm more interested in factory ammo than hand load info.

The information on the AR 10 is below:
Caliber: .243 Winchester
Barrel: 20" Inch Match Grade Chrome Moly Barrel, M-4 Feed Ramps
Rifling Twist: 1:10 RH
Muzzle Device: None
Front Sight Base: Picatinny Gas Block, Top of gas block is .398 (+/- .010) lower than top of receiver
Upper Receiver: Forged Flat Top Receiver with Picatinny Rail and Forward Assist 7175-T74 Aluminum

Re: 243 Ammo for AR 10?

Good advice from C Bass16, the 1:10 twist will not stabilize any of the heavies. Try some different ammo with 95gr or less bullets and see what it likes. Loads with the Berger 95's or lighter ballistic tip bullets are probably your best bet.

What brand? Armalite? Just curious.

Good luck!

Just shot a buddy's . He got best performance out of 75g Hornady match. The heavies, or hotter loads banged the buffer up pretty bad. I told him to get an adj. gas block. The book said nothing over 100g, due to excessive wear.

I scored a bunch of reloading supplies from a local guy that stopped reloading including 200 Berger 95G VLD and 200 Sierra 95G bullets, dies, brass, primers ect.

Now I just need some load advice from some folks that have shot the AR10 in 243. Don't want to waste too much of these expensive Bergers wouldn't you agree?