• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

.243 vs 6mm cm

CJS-6.5

Full auto flintlock user.
Banned !
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2017
I have a wackload of 100 gn 243 interlocks and sold my 243 awhile ago. Am going to build a new bolt gun and want opinions on 243 win vs 6mm cm. Barrel life, powder usage, brass life, cost per round, everything...thanks in advance. Tactical/hunting with 22" barrel.

I have a wackload of 100 gn 243 interlocks and sold my 243 awhile ago. Am going to build a new bolt gun and want opinions on 243 win vs 6mm cm. Barrel life, powder usage, brass life, cost per round, everything...thanks in advance. Tactical/hunting with 22" barrel.

6CM designation for 6 comp match, you mean that or creedmoor?

Sorry. I should have been more specific. I meant 6mm Creedmore. I'll look into the comp match as well as the other 6mms.

I wouldn't. You can keep that fire forming. It's for the birds. Watched my team mates go through it back in 2004/2005 with their 6 Comp Match rifles.

As with everything there are always considerations. Fire forming doesn't bother me, and if I get a fast 6mm, I want enough capacity for h1000, or 7977{I went 243AI}. In all honesty I wouldn't go with either one, I would and did switch to a 6.5 Creedmoor. I kind of wish I would have went 260 since I have quiet a bit of 4831SC on hand.

There is also hydro-forming.

Sorry. I should have been more specific. I meant 6mm Creedmore. I'll look into the comp match as well as the other 6mms.

I've had about all the faster 6mm's. comp match, slr, 6x47, xc, and creedmoor, XC plug and play, right combo it's badass, but 6 creed just plain gets it done with a simple neck down.

As with everything there are always considerations. Fire forming doesn't bother me, and if I get a fast 6mm, I want enough capacity for h1000, or 7977{I went 243AI}. In all honesty I wouldn't go with either one, I would and did switch to a 6.5 Creedmoor. I kind of wish I would have went 260 since I have quiet a bit of 4831SC on hand.

There is also hydro-forming.

Hydro forming is even worse. You don;t even get to shoot. LOL

Try that H4831SC in the Creedmoor. I know some guys using it with good results.

CJS, either will get a 100grn going over 3000fps.

I shoot it in the Creedmoor. It does well, but my node is 2790 with 143 ELD out os a 26" criterion barrel. Nothing wrong with it really, just gives up some velocity vs other options. In all honesty I would rather use it, that is why I feel like the grass is greener. Wont probably ever know. The 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't leave me wanting much. Maybe a 6BR to go along with it. Would burn a lot less powder than my 308.

So the 6mm creed likes slower powders than the 6.5 creed? if so, great because I have lots of slo mo...

Sorry for the dumb questions. am only used to pistol reloading. Just getting into long range rifle loading. The biggest change is realigning my powder choice instincts...

So the 6mm creed likes slower powders than the 6.5 creed? if so, great because I have lots of slo mo...

No the 6.5 will work with the H4831 pretty well. You can try it in the 6mm but haven't heard any reports from people using it though.

I like the 243. I just don't get the creedmoor bandwagon, it pretty much does the exact same thing. I fell for the latest and greatest and spent more money on dies and brass. The only advantage is a shorter case which works better when you have a short mag length like with an ar10. You don't seat the bullet way down into the case. Fireforming isn't bad if you want the comp match, it's just more shooting you get to do.

If you are going to go away from the 243, I would suggest the 6mm Super LR. All you have to do is get dies and you have an improved case design by just resizing the brass you have. Winchester, Federal, and Remington brass all works in mine. There is a lot of info on the www about it.

How does the 6COmp match beat the 243AI at anything? I always wanted a 243AI to use reloder 26 in. 3400 in a 26" barrel should be easy with the 105s.
since we are talking about fireforming.
could the barrel life really be any different if both were using h1000 with identical speeds?

I have reamers for and have built rifles in 6mmRem, 243Win, and 6mmBR.
I like the 6mmBR. The RP and Lapua brass for the 6mmBR are better than I deserve.
It can kill antelope way out there with 29 gr IMR-4451 95 gr Nos Bal Tip 2800 fps. buck antelope 6mmBR Rem700 2016.jpg