• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.260 and VLDs vs. CM and x47

Hondo64d

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 12, 2006
The Big Country
I just don't get it. I read all over the place that the CM or 6.5x47 are better than the .260 in a SA because if you run a VLD in a .260 at magazine length, you loose powder capacity. True enough. I understand that. What I don't understand is how that makes the CM or x47 better. They, from the get-go, have less powder capacity than the .260. Worst case, seating a VLD in a .260 case to SA magazine length, is not going to give the .260 less capacity than a CM or x47. Not physically possible. Assuming same pressures, the one with more volume wins in the velocity race.

The only possible downside I can see for the .260 in a SA would be if to get it to fit in the magazine, you had to seat a VLD so deep that the ogive was below the case mouth. Is that what the real problem is?

Someone help me out here...

John

Re: .260 and VLDs vs. CM and x47

If you seat the rounds to the same OAL, the 260 will have more of the bullet in the case. Simple. So, if that additional internal case volume is being wasted by the bullet taking up more realestate, why have it. The creed is the best of the 3 based on the case design when seating to 2.8"

I own a custom 6.5x47 lapua rifle.My buddies shoot the 6.5cm and the 260.We are out on a regular basis and compete almost evry weekend.I would say it really comes down to prefrence.(its like saying a Lamborgini is better than a Ferrari)As far as performance they are very comprable.All three shoot 1/4 moa all day out of our Sticks at 100m.We have shot all three of these calibers out to 1Mile with very similar results.About a 20% hit ratio on a 25x15 inch IPSC Steel target.We have even scored 1st round hits with all three.So is one better than the other?Its your call buddy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you seat the rounds to the same OAL, the 260 will have more of the bullet in the case. Simple. So, if that additional internal case volume is being wasted by the bullet taking up more realestate, why have it. The creed is the best of the 3 based on the case design when seating to 2.8" </div></div>

I guess I can see the "wasted space" argument, but it really doesn't hurt anything, and wasted space or not, the overall volume will still favor the .260. Unless loaded to higher pressures, the CM or x47 still won't out perform it all other things being equal. Seems much ado about nothing to me. Like I said before, I think my only concern with the .260 would be if loaded in a SA, the ogive of a VLD would be below the case mouth.

The rig I'm having put together will have a Wyatts box, so I'm not really worried about that either...

Don't get me wrong. I could just as happily shoot a CM, but I already had a bunch of .260 brass. Everyone knows that's reason enough to build a rifle!
grin.gif
grin.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hondo64d</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Don't get me wrong. I could just as happily shoot a CM, but I already had a bunch of .260 brass. Everyone knows that's reason enough to build a rifle!
grin.gif
grin.gif

John </div></div>

That is certainly reason enough.

6.5x47, 6.5CM, .260Rem: Three peas in a pod. Nothing to argue about except to hear yourself talk.

I can jam VLD's .010 in and still have plenty of room in my mags to grow in my 260, after 1450 rounds a 139 Scenar touching the lands is 2.820 COAL, my 260 started life with a very short chamber, 2.150 was my Ojive length when new.

Did you have a custom reamer ground to get that short a throat, or did your smith use a separate throating reamer? My smith says the freebore on his .260 reamer is .060" and seemed to think that was plenty short to be able to chase the lands and still have magazine function.

John

.260 and 6.5x47mm benefit from excellent Lapua brass, expensive but usually worth the cost. The Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass isn't bad and I look forward to checking out the new stuff. They have been annealing the necks (I've never had neck tension problems).

To the OP, if mag length is a problem and you are running aics style mags the morta alpha 2 mags measure 2.985. This would allow more room for powder. Maybe some of the 47L and creedmore guys can speak up but velocity in the 2800 range with the 140 class and 3000 with 123-130 shouldn't be hard to obtain. This is my experience with the 260. Barrel length at 22.5 inches. These loads aren't on the ragged edge either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hondo64d</div><div class="ubbcode-body">427,

Did you have a custom reamer ground to get that short a throat, or did your smith use a separate throating reamer? My smith says the freebore on his .260 reamer is .060" and seemed to think that was plenty short to be able to chase the lands and still have magazine function.

John </div></div>

He used a separate throating reamer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> They have been annealing the necks (I've never had neck tension problems) </div></div>

They have always annealed the necks but they have stopped giving the match brass the final wash. With the final wash you sometimes have a small burr form because of the tumbling of the case. They are working on a new way to wash but for now they are just leaving it as you see it so as not to effect accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> They have been annealing the necks (I've never had neck tension problems) </div></div>

They have always annealed the necks but they have stopped giving the match brass the final wash. With the final wash you sometimes have a small burr form because of the tumbling of the case. They are working on a new way to wash but for now they are just leaving it as you see it so as not to effect accuracy. </div></div>

I guess that explains why I've never had neck tension problems. Rob is the new jacketing system used on the Superformance ammo going to be used on all Hornady match bullets? HPBT and A-Max

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rthur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe some of the 47L and creedmore guys can speak up but velocity in the 2800 range with the 140 class and 3000 with 123-130 shouldn't be hard to obtain.</div></div>

My 6.5x47mm (which has a chamber designed for the Berger 130gr) provides accurate velocity at 2750fps and 2850fps with 140gr and 130gr bullets, respectively. I have shot 130s over 3000fps without pressure signs, but it was not accurate, e.g. 1 MOA.

My 47L w/ 26" Hart barrel reamed w/ .175 freebore moves a 140gr Berger LR-BT at 2865fps (12' from muzzle) w/ 38.2grains of Reloader-15, sub 0.50moa. I have put in upwards of 38.6grains with just the smallest hint of an extractor mark (no velocity data on the 38.6grains).

I have a buddy with a beautiful 260Rem and its a shooter. He is a better marksmans than me, so he beats me in the field, but I don't think its because of the difference in the two rifles. We could swap rifles and he would outshoot me.

I have another buddy with a 47L who shoots the 130gr Berger VLD with H4350. He is also at 26" barrel (same reamer as mine). He is getting 3050fps (12' from muzzle), also sub 0.50moa.

All three are super cartridges.