Status
Not open for further replies.

Centuriator

Dude...you're being very un-Dude.
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
I may have missed this here, but .... this is simply crazy amazing.

The target was 32 inches tall by 48 inches wide.

So before anyone says anything stupid (one so far) put up video of how well you shoot out to 3,000 yards and you will be qualified to criticize. MMMK?

Last edited:
@wildcats

Not it is not, if you had bothered to watch the video and read the description: "The target was 32 inches tall by 48 inches wide."

Don't be a freakin' jerk, ok?

Better yet, let's see your long range groups. Show us how you do at 3,000 yards. I'll spot you 2,000 yards. LOL.

Can't anybody take a joke this days....you sure took the bait on that one.
Lighten up a bit there friend.

btw ..that is some impressive shooting

Reactions: ScrappyPunkGreg
I had to take a trip last weekend and was on a very straight, flat stretch of highway. I paid attention to .10 mile markers and waited until I had gone 3.4 miles and then looked in the rear view mirror at the landmark I used where I began.

Yes, that is one heck of a very, very long shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: garandman
I had to take a trip last weekend and was on a very straight, flat stretch of highway. I paid attention to .10 mile markers and waited until I had gone 3.4 miles and then looked in the rear view mirror at the landmark I used where I began.

Yes, that is one heck of a very, very long shot.

You can count up to 34?
j/k man....j/k its a joke, homie..... :) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::p

The end of the vid.... it seems like the report of the rifle arrives at target about 4 seconds before the impact on target.

Am I missing somethinghere, or is that just editing?

Assuming ~2900fps at the muzzle, which lines up pretty well with a 17s flight time, it goes transonic at ~3 seconds at ~2000yd, subsonic at ~5.5 seconds at ~3000yd, and impacts the target at ~600 feet per second, a hair over half the speed of sound.

To word that differently, half of the distance and 2/3 of the time is below the speed of sound.

Reactions: garandman
Assuming ~2900fps at the muzzle, which lines up pretty well with a 17s flight time, it goes transonic at ~3 seconds at ~2000yd, subsonic at ~5.5 seconds at ~3000yd, and impacts the target at ~600 feet per second, a hair over half the speed of sound.

To word that differently, half of the distance and 2/3 of the time is below the speed of sound.

Pretty cool ! I was wondering if the first shot missed, then its rifle report arrive and then the second shot hit.

But your math works. 600 fps at the target would mean it doesn't have much more than a couple hundred yards in its max total distance, at that elevationof the rifle.

I just don't find it that "amazing". When you fire 17 shots to gauge the distance and judge the wind, it isn't that cool. It is like getting a zero on the rifle by walking it in on paper. It wasn't like it was a cold bore shot.

I just don't find it that "amazing". When you fire 17 shots to gauge the distance and judge the wind, it isn't that cool. It is like getting a zero on the rifle by walking it in on paper. It wasn't like it was a cold bore shot.

OK, so for you it is not amazing...please post video of you getting a hit at 3.4 miles so we can all agree with you that "it's no big deal."

Reactions: dttheliman
Sorry bro, I have interservice longrange rifle medals, distinguished badges, P100 tab and probably some good video of your old lady but no video of a hit at 3.4 miles.

Reactions: D_TROS
You're going to have to use a shinier bait if you want to catch this fish! I disagree with your simple view of things bro. Deal with it. There are dudes skydiving from space and you are impressed with someone sending a barrage of lead 3.5 miles and making contact with one of them. Mark and those guys do their thing but it doesn't trip my trigger.

Prove what claims? I never said i was going to do anything! I said I wasn't impressed. I don't have to pull my dick out to prove anything here. You're obviously triggered and offended. Don't worry little buddy, it will be ok.

These guys are pushing the boundary of what can be done with a shoulder fired rifle. Cool. But, what’s the pay off? The target is small for the distance shot, but it’s still pretty big. I mean, ~3ftx4ft is well larger than man sized, more like hitting a small car. Or an elk. So, if I had their skill and equipment, I could put 18 shots <near> a man sized target or one (potentially) on the wrong end of a horse sized target. In a military setting, I’m sure that if I really needed to hit a target at 3.4 miles I’d call in artilery or air support. And, if there was an game animal at 3.4 miles away that I really wanted to take, I could likely drive closer, then hike much closer and take that shot at a few hundred yards. Don’t get me wrong, I can’t make that shot (not even with unlimited sighters), I’m just missing the application.

think I might go on a banning spree here

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: seansmd
Prove what claims? I never said i was going to do anything! I said I wasn't impressed. I don't have to pull my dick out to prove anything here. You're obviously triggered and offended. Don't worry little buddy, it will be ok.
The nice thing about the internet is, if you don't like a post/thread, you have the option of just finding one you do like...Or, as your mother told you, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."...:) BTW, I'm happy shooting <1000, this is amazing technology...And expensive!!! Very nice.

Reactions: Centuriator
The nice thing about the internet is, if you don't like a post/thread, you have the option of just finding one you do like...Or, as your mother told you, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."...:) BTW, I'm happy shooting <1000, this is amazing technology...And expensive!!! Very nice.
The point I was making is that shooting 21 sighters and getting a hit isn't accuracy. My question is how much money did it take to get that impact and was it worth it? Like said before this doesn't have a practical application. Maybe after getting the dope from it, it will be repeatable but I doubt it.

Reactions: Vargmat
I will most likely never have the rifle or location to accomplish something like this. I am impressed, and appreciate it for what it was. I just found the bickering and attitude in the thread to be tedious. So now y'all can flame me for that.

I did read the first post and reminded others to do the same. You should play by the same rule and just ignore people like me. Let your first post speak for itself.

And here's another one...It reportedly took Poor just eight attempts to hit a 53-inch-wide target when he made his 3-mile shot.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/texas-man-nails-3-mile-shot-to-set-new-distance-record/

Texas-Man-Nails-3-Mile-Shot-To-Set-The-New-Distance-Record-2.jpg

I think it was a pretty amazing feat regardless of the number of shots.

I am assuming that the elevated scope mount shown in this photo has to do with being able to get enough elevation adjustment to the target??? Never saw that before. Most of these guys use Charlie Taracs

Reactions: Centuriator
So, honest question. What is the barometer for being impressed with something like this? It looks like they took 22 shots to hit it. If they'd stayed out there all day shooting 200 rounds to hit it, would you have still been impressed? What about 50 shots? 30?

Law of probability says if you get something that flies far enough and a target big enough and you take enough shots, you'll eventually hit it. I'm not saying these guys got lucky, but I am just asking an honest question.

Status
Not open for further replies.