• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

300 PRC

Willie16wild

WillieGunner
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
Mar 3, 2017
Punxsutawney, PA
I am posting this because i would like hear opinions on this cartridge, 300 PRC. I have lots seen great results out of the 6.5 PRC , but i want to know more about the 300 PRC. I plan on doing 300 PRC build this winter if i find a gunsmith that will chamber me one. I got turned onto this because i was talking to this one barrel maker and he said it shot like a lazer at a f class match he took it too. I know now your probably thinking that its only one guy. Well this guy that is a barrel maker and well renowned for what he knows and how good he is, I'm going to take his word on it. I also like it cause it doesnt have a belt.

Things i would like to know.

1. Is hornady selling brass for it yet?
2. Do you know a gunsmith that is chambering 300prc
3. Whats your thoughts on it.
4. Any info will greatly be appreciated about this cartridge.

1. Not yet. Some has been made, but for internal/small scale testing, not yet for public sale.
2. Dave Tooley is one I know of for certain, I'm sure a handful of others are, also.
3. Outstanding modern magnum. Not the biggest, not the fastest, but it's an efficient case design and it works well with available powders to produce pretty good velocity (better than 300wm) without going to real barrel burners and/or lapua bolt faces. Very similar to 30 Nosler, but without the rebated rim and a 30 degree shoulder vs. the Nosler's 35 degree shoulder.

4. I got to shoot one and I'm sold on it. If not this winter, next summer I'll likely piece one together. 225gr ELD @ 2940 out of a 26" barrel threw 10 shots into a ragged hole (.6-.7") at 100yd, 5 shots from myself, 5 shots from the owner. Would make a superb big game hunting caliber as well a 800-2000yd steel buster.

Reactions: Willie16wild
I’ve been debating a 7mm practical vs a 7mm LRM. I didn’t really want the belt on the 300WM cases but they would be cheap and readily available, also didn’t love that gunwerks was only brass supplier for 7mm LMR and necking down a ruger 375 case to 7mm seemed like a difficult jump for me (beginner reloader). This new 300PRC case necked down to 7mm seems to be excactly what I’ve been wanting!

You'll still may have issues with finding an appropriate powder to run a 7-300 PRC. Will be able to get speed but may not fill the case (positionally dependent MV/pressure ES/SD), or will be able to fill the case but not get speed.

Happy to sit back and see how it works for you though :)

Reactions: Willie16wild
I’ve been debating a 7mm practical vs a 7mm LRM. I didn’t really want the belt on the 300WM cases but they would be cheap and readily available, also didn’t love that gunwerks was only brass supplier for 7mm LMR and necking down a ruger 375 case to 7mm seemed like a difficult jump for me (beginner reloader). This new 300PRC case necked down to 7mm seems to be excactly what I’ve been wanting!

Pretty much exactly what I have been looking into. I was going to go with the 7mm practical, but basing it off the .300 PRC instead is sounding really interesting.

I got to shoot one and I'm sold on it. If not this winter, next summer I'll likely piece one together. 225gr ELD @ 2940 out of a 26" barrel threw 10 shots into a ragged hole (.6-.7") at 100yd, 5 shots from myself, 5 shots from the owner. Would make a superb big game hunting caliber as well a 800-2000yd steel buster.

Do you know the weight of the rifle you were shooting?
I am interested to see how it feels when shot out of a rifle in the 8 to 10 pound range as I'm looking for something really hard hitting that I can carry on long hikes / stalks but that won't make me flinch after a couple rounds at the range.

Looks like I'm not the only one thats already thinking 7mm-300 PRC! Checks a lot of boxes for sure....have a good selection of bullets and powders for a 7mm Wby to play with if I get one spun up.

Reactions: GTMANN
Do you know the weight of the rifle you were shooting?
I am interested to see how it feels when shot out of a rifle in the 8 to 10 pound range as I'm looking for something really hard hitting that I can carry on long hikes / stalks but that won't make me flinch after a couple rounds at the range.

Heavy. Accuracy International AX. Recoil was really mild for what it was but I can't say how it'd be on a lighter hunting rifle.