• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

300WSM Tikka T3 Lite or Savage 11 LRH?

mrgreentie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2010
Jacksonville,FL
www.gunzoo.com
I'm thinking of avoiding building a new hunting rifle altogether. I've narrowed it down to two rifles. I'll be hunting whitetail deer out to 500ish yards from a tree-stand.

Which would you choose?

Tikka T3 Lite 300 WSM

-or-

Savage Model 11 300 WSM Long Range Hunter (http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11LONGRANGEHUNTER)

The Savage weighs 2lbs more but it has a brake, karsten cheek-piece, accuStock and accuTrigger. It seems ready to roll? BUT, the Tikka is 2lbs lighter and 2" shorter which could come in handy when sitting 15ft in the air, on the side of a tree.

Thoughts?

Re: 300WSM Tikka T3 Lite or Savage 11 LRH?

I really like the tikka's, and every one I've been behind has been a pretty good shooter. The savage will be as well I'm sure but if it was my decision it'd go to the tikka every time

Steve

I don't own a Tikka but a couple of my friends have them and they are lights out. I don't think I need to tell you that the Savage will be. If it were me, I would go with what offers the most for the dollar. Like you said, the Savage has a lot of upgrades that would put the cost of the Tikka quite over a grand to have similar features. As far as barrel length, I could be wrong, but I believe Savage includes the Muzzle Brake in that, so you are really looking at the same length. If it were me and I wanted the cheapest and most ready to go rifle, I would get the Savage. If your gonna do some customizing, either will work if you can keep them in your budget.

A friend of mine has a 300wsm Tikka T3 lite. It shoots really good for a factory rifle but I have seen a lot of problems arise from the separate recoil lug used on them. Theres a thread here on the hide that goes into detail about this. I'll try to find it but be warned, my search fu is weak.

Found one: http://weww.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2145052

I went through the same process recently and picked up the Tikka. Couldn't be happier. BTW.. I also have 3 Savages to compare too and I like the Tikka bolt 100x better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW.. I also have 3 Savages to compare too and I like the Tikka bolt 100x better. </div></div>

What calibers are your rifles?

I'll admit, I'll be shooting this rifle out past 1k, for sh*ts and giggles, some as well and having the Savage already hooked-up with the accustock and brake is looking better and better. But dang, I really want a Tikka too. I just want to be good to go as soon as possible, ya know? The Tikka will require work.

On another note, I happened across a Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA and now it is in the running. I need to stop looking and start buying!

Look at the Kimber Montana and Win Extreme Weather SS and put them into your bag of choices as well.

Possibly some skim bedding, but otherwise two very capable and ready to go hunting rifles right there...if you like stainless.

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Top Cat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at the Kimber Montana and Win Extreme Weather SS and put them into your bag of choices as well.

TC </div></div>

I originally considered Kimber but there are quite a few negative reviews for their rifles. I take most negative reviews with a grain of salt but there seems to be a large volume of bad reviews for the Kimber rifle line.

As for stainless, yeah, I'd love one in stainless. I will hunt in snow, rain, or whatever and a stainless finish is what the doctor ordered. I'll take a blued barrel but just have to remember to clean a little more.

I vote for the Tikka T3 lite myself.
I had one in 300 win mag and I absolutely loved every aspect of it. They are great little rifles at an exceptional value(about 500.00).