• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

308 zero for hunting

Why are credentials so important?
According to all the "experts" Hillary Clinton is qualified to be President but Donald Trump is not, because she has "credentials".
Again, if a guy has a 40 dollar 3-9 power duplex scope, telling him to zero at 100 and know his come-ups for given distances and dial a solution isn't really going to work for him.
Your advice to practice and practice shooting at distance is spot on.
Credentials don't mean shit to actual application.

I am not sure if you are being snowflakey or what.. it's just weird.

Wade answered, it was good knowing he seemed to have some experience.

I've shot with way more Hide people than I can count, some I continue to. Many of those that I have not shot with, a buddy of mine might have or I know them through other accomplishments etc. Of course, there are many many I do not know or do not know me. Wade and I have never shot together, asking what (let me use another word) "history" he has to counter most every LR PR instructor seemed appropriate. He responded, nothing was challenged. Why are you still so bent?

Simply things to remember:
1. This is a LR PR forum AKA Sniper Hide​
2. Someone looking to learn to extend their range, is in a different space than someone who has been shooting for years and has their system baked in already.​
3. More than several offset PBZ suggestions mention 300 or longer, even though the OP takes 100, 150 and then max later 250?.​
4. Field shooting unsupported etc under hasty conditions, is much harder target shooting from a bench. Most people shooting 1MOA from a bench once standing or supper hasty, have a very hard time consistently hitting a 4" or 4MOA at 100. Sure this still works for 100-200. But, many will miss several in 10 rounds on an 8MOA target once emotions are up.. Still might work most the times at 200... (Yet I have seen misses even at 200). Doing the math even a tiny 4" hasty group, is 12"+ at 300 - plus wind and the backed in error stack . Again, it is not that it can't be done, but that all needs to be truthfully added in. Error stacking does not help.​
5. There are fast ways to learn and slower ways. Just like learning high end photography, If someone said, "you should use film like Ansel Adams" wouldn't you question the advice?​
FWIW- I believe that one can hunt with a knife. Hell, I will be out there with my bow. But I also believe, that we should practice, use the best gear for the job and stay withing a range that our certainty is WAY higher than shooting at a piece of steel.

Last edited:
I am not sure if you are being snowflakey or what.. it's just weird.

Wade answered, it was good knowing he seemed to have some experience.

I've shot with way more Hide people than I can count, some I continue to. Many of those that I have not shot with, a buddy of mine might have or I know them through other accomplishments etc. Of course, there are many many I do not know or do not know me. Wade and I have never shot together, asking what (let me use another word) "history" he has to counter most every LR PR instructor seemed appropriate. He responded, nothing was challenged. Why are you still so bent?

Simply things to remember:
1. This is a LR PR forum AKA Sniper Hide​
2. Someone looking to learn to extend their range, is in a different space than someone who has been shooting for years and has their system baked in already.​
3. More than several offset PBZ suggestions mention 300 or longer, even though the OP takes 100, 150 and then max later 250?.​
4. Field shooting unsupported etc under hasty conditions, is much harder target shooting from a bench. Most people shooting 1MOA from a bench once standing or supper hasty, have a very hard time consistently hitting a 4" or 4MOA at 100, many will miss several in 10 rounds on an 8MOA target once emotions are up.. Doing the math even a 4" hasty group is 12"+ at 300 - plus wind and the backed in error stack. Again, it is not that it can't be done, but that all needs to be truthfully added in.​
5. There are fast ways to learn and slower ways. Just like learning high end photography, If someone said, "you use film like Ansel Adams" wouldn't you question the advice?​
Not sure where the disconnect is.
If you were to read my response to the OP's question, I spoke to him concerning MPBR, as I went with the assumption (which may be wrong) that he is shooting a factory configured hunting rifle.
I ALSO explained to him that he came to a forum primarily concerned with long range tactical shooting in mind and that the answers he was getting were geared that way.

My response to YOU was that you seem to be of the notion that no one here can give advice, unless they have bonafides as a competitor. I disagree with that position.

Just be aware, rifle shooting does not revolve around the world of Sniper's Hide.
There are MANY accomplished shooters that have never graced the site. There are more ways to skin the cat then what is done here.

Not sure where the disconnect is.
If you were to read my response to the OP's question, I spoke to him concerning MPBR, as I went with the assumption (which may be wrong) that he is shooting a factory configured hunting rifle.
I ALSO explained to him that he came to a forum primarily concerned with long range tactical shooting in mind and that the answers he was getting were geared that way.

My response to YOU was that you seem to be of the notion that no one here can give advice, unless they have bonafides as a competitor. I disagree with that position.

Just be aware, rifle shooting does not revolve around the world of Sniper's Hide.
There are MANY accomplished shooters that have never graced the site. There are more ways to skin the cat then what is done here.

Well I'll not disagree, except that this is Snipers Hide.

Again, I never said one has to be a competitor, I just used an example. You are reading way to much into my question to Wade, who said "anyone recommending a 100 yard zero is a bone head". Again, Wade answered and we went on with the discussion. It seems you somehow personalized the question, then came back with 100 year old examples of people other than yourself for a question not even asked of you.

There was a lot advice given and I think and read post #24 you see that I am clearly saying people are here to help. Great examples from @sandwarrior @Skookum @Greg Langelius * @morganlamprecht @TxWelder35 they contextualized the information etc.

Again written by the OP "I would like to be confident in taking a 300-350 yard shot on an animal if I had the shot" . So ya, this is a long shot with a duplex and 308. Regardless of the OP saying he has no interest in 500-600 yards shots, practicing past were one is hoping to be proficient is a key ingredient in the learning curve.

Were Wade and I are disagreeing is simply where to cut the line with a duplex for a shooter wanting to learn longer range hunting (see above) with very little knowledge of zeros, BCs or trajectories. Wade thought I was talking about dialing some tactile scope- I was not. While the old 1" and 200 might be acceptable, I am jumping in and saying that the newer 2" for 300y camp with a duplex and non-experience longer range hunter is not a good strategy for cases like this. And I am saying he almost owes it to the animal and his learning curve to use something with subtentions, even a cheap BDC reticle if that is all he can afford and continue to learn a bit about the process..

Well I'll not disagree, except that this is Snipers Hide.

Again, I never said one has to be a competitor, I just used an example. You are reading way to much into my question to Wade, who said "anyone recommending a 100 yard zero is a bone head". Again, Wade answered and we went on with the discussion. It seems you somehow personalized the question, then came back with 100 year old examples of people other than yourself for a question not even asked of you.

There was a lot advice given and I think and read post #24 you see that I am clearly saying people are here to help. Great examples from @sandwarrior @Skookum @Greg Langelius * @morganlamprecht @TxWelder35 they contextualized the information etc.

Again written by the OP "I would like to be confident in taking a 300-350 yard shot on an animal if I had the shot" . So ya, this is a long shot with a duplex and 308. Regardless of the OP saying he has no interest in 500-600 yards shots, practicing past were one is hoping to be proficient is a key ingredient in the learning curve.

Were Wade and I are disagreeing is simply where to cut the line with a duplex for a shooter wanting to learn longer range hunting (see above) with very little knowledge of zeros, BCs or trajectories. Wade thought I was talking about dialing some tactile scope- I was not. While the old 1" and 200 might be acceptable, I am jumping in and saying that the newer 2" for 300y camp with a duplex and non-experience longer range hunter is not a good strategy for cases like this. And I am saying he almost owes it to the animal and his learning curve to use something with subtentions, even a cheap BDC reticle if that is all he can afford and continue to learn a bit about the process..
So, now I have to be personally invited by you to respond to a forum post?
I believe the OP posted for general feedback, which I provided.
The simple duplex reticle is quite serviceable, even for shots to 400 yards.
Yes, you do need to practice and learn.
Yes, you should practice in field shooting scenarios.
You are the one that posted a demand for bonafides, I provided examples that came immediately to mind of folks that were quite successful without the bonafides that you seem to place such importance on.

Suffice it to say, we don't actually disagree that he needs experience and practice.
You just seem to have taken offense to the fact that I suggested that there are other folks that can provide insights besides you.

News flash: Men can be arrogant pricks!
It is not the first or last time an alpha male has acted like an arrogant prick.
In fact it is completely normal and absolutely expected when a bunch of alphas get together. In person or on the internet, if an ego is easily bruised then they are not going to enjoy the experience of hanging out with a pack of alphas.
The OP is still here (I checked) and probably does not really give a shit about how rude he was treated. He is probably a lot better hunter than most of the "competitors" on this site.
The OP question involved hunting. Many of us here know a thing or two about hunting, tracking and long distance shooting. There are very few places where I would take a long shot at live game but this has nothing to do with the distance of the shot. The limitation is finding the animal after it runs out of sight and hides somewhere to die. Dropping a deer in it's tracks is not all that common and just trying to find the place where the deer was when it was shot or where you lost sight of it can be very difficult when it is many hundred yards away. In most any kind of decently thick forest a 200 yard shot is very risky, even one hundred yards can be asking for trouble.

Thanks everyone .... I’m going to sort through all of this and try to learn what I can . Lots of very educated people on this forum who know more than I ever will about shooting.

I think everyone appreciates your style in this thread ~

While I shoot all over, I've never shot in Kentucky.. That said, if you ever find yourself considering shooting in the West, send me a PM. We are based in Central CA and can get you out on our range @ N/C (just pay for your ammo). If the timing is right BLM in CA, Nevada. A few of the Hide guys I am sure would join. Summers usually best, but can almost always make something happen. With a house in Wyoming late October thru November are tight for me and I bet will be tight Months for some of the other guys that are applying any free time to hunting. Just tossing out the idea..

Jim

I think everyone appreciates your style in this thread ~

While I shoot all over, I've never shot in Kentucky.. That said, if you ever find yourself considering shooting in the West, send me a PM. We are based in Central CA and can get you out on our range @ N/C (just pay for your ammo). If the timing is right BLM in CA, Nevada. A few of the Hide guys I am sure would join. Summers usually best, but can almost always make something happen. With a house in Wyoming late October thru November are tight for me and I bet will be tight Months for some of the other guys that are applying any free time to hunting. Just tossing out the idea..

Jim
Thanks! I appreciate the invite. I will get a hold of you if I’m ever out that way for sure !

Reactions: Diver160651