• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.338 Imperial Magnum hunting rifle caliber

Gert Odendaal

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2013
Witbank/South Africa
Good day to all members. I believe all is well and good on your side. Members are there any members who owns a .338 Imperial Magnum hunting rifle ? This caliber was designed by Aubrey White of Canada . I am in need of reloading data , as well as a set of re-loading dies . I really would appreciate it if some member can assist .

Isn't that pretty much the same as the 338 Edge?
If not, it's close and Shawn Carlock would be the guy I'd ask about it. I am sure he can help you out.

As for dies, send fired brass to Whidden. Other die makers, including Hornady, will also make dies for you. MANY gunsmiths will also make you a set of dies. But I'd be contacting Mr. Carlock before I did anything.

Reactions: Gert Odendaal
I did a little research and looks like it's a bit different dimensions than an Edge but so close you could use that load data or 338 RUM.
Are you totally set on sticking with that chambering? looks like you could have a smith run a 338 edge reamer in there, be much easier to get dies.

Reactions: Gert Odendaal
Isn't that pretty much the same as the 338 Edge?
If not, it's close and Shawn Carlock would be the guy I'd ask about it. I am sure he can help you out.

As for dies, send fired brass to Whidden. Other die makers, including Hornady, will also make dies for you. MANY gunsmiths will also make you a set of dies. But I'd be contacting Mr. Carlock before I did anything.
Unfortunately I only have a finishing reamer, go/no go gauges/100 x head stamped brass and the rifle is not yet build. So I do not have fire formed brass from the chamber currently to send to Whidden , maybe if I can get hold of a owner of a .338 Imperial Magnum that will be able to give me fired brass it might just work.

I did a little research and looks like it's a bit different dimensions than an Edge but so close you could use that load data or 338 RUM.
Are you totally set on sticking with that chambering? looks like you could have a smith run a 338 edge reamer in there, be much easier to get dies.
No, I do not want the .338 Edge , these .338 Imperial Magnum components I bought from the originator of the Imperial Magnum, Aubrey White from Canada. He passed away a few years back . This Imperial Magnum brand were started in 1983 long before Remington, Winchester and the .338 Edge was designed /manufactured..I bought these components due to the history and story behind the Imperial Magnum brand

Attachments

• 338 IMC Load Data Frans.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • History IMC Page 1.pdf
    924.7 KB · Views: 3
  • History IMC Page 2.pdf
    980.6 KB · Views: 3
  • History IMC Page 3.pdf
    943.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Imperial Magnum Dimensions velocities Frans etc.pdf
    692.8 KB · Views: 4
  • thumbnail_Canadian Magnum Cartridges 001.jpg
    thumbnail_Canadian Magnum Cartridges 001.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 9
Unfortunately I only have a finishing reamer, go/no go gauges/100 x head stamped brass and the rifle is not yet build. So I do not have fire formed brass from the chamber currently to send to Whidden , maybe if I can get hold of a owner of a .338 Imperial Magnum that will be able to give me fired brass it might just work.
A set of dies should be able to be created based upon the dimensions of that finish reamer. Give Whidden and Carlock a call and discusss options.

I have no idea regarding your options there in South Africa. Aren't there some superb rifle builders there?

Good luck!

The smith you have do the barrel work should be able to make a set of dies from die blanks.

newlon precision
Cortina
LE wilson also sells a blank die

Looks like you already have some good tips on reloading data.

post a pic of the rifle when it is finished!

If your stuck on the case that's fine just makes dies more expensive and harder to get.
Last I heard Whidden isn't doing custom dies anymore which is super sad. Hornady will do dies off fired brass. Neil Jones I think is still doing custom. also maybe CH4D.

Whidden used to cut them off the reamer print not sure if anyone else is doing that or if they all need fired brass...

The smith you have do the barrel work should be able to make a set of dies from die blanks.

newlon precision
Cortina
LE wilson also sells a blank die

Looks like you already have some good tips on reloading data.

post a pic of the rifle when it is finished!
This right here. Your smith that is putting the rifle together should be able to get you a custom set of matching dies for the chamber. Hornady, RCBS, and Redding all provide this as a service. There are other die makers as well.

Good luck, it looks like an interesting and fun project.