• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

40x is here....now some questions!!!

ker2222

Minuteman
Sep 3, 2004
Hastings, MN
CMP 40x showed up this morning......here's the pics:

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0431-1.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

over all, I think it looks good, The bore is very clean with sharp rifling and no pits or any frosting. The chamber also looks good. The bolt has a bit of surface gunk but the bolt face looks good. It is most definately a 700action....

I had a few questions I hoped some of the more experienced 40x collectors and shooters could help me out with: This rifle is going to be a shooter and a trainer so I am not really worried about the collectibility just the functionality and safety.

1. How worried do I need to be that the bolt doesn't match the rifle. The electro-penciled # on the bolt is different. There are two vertical "lines" on the bolt face and chamber face that match up....I think they can be seen in the pics.

2. What is the best trigger adjustment process. Trigger is nice and crisp with very little over travel but is a bit heavy. Should I just adjust the weight with the screw in the trigger shoe or do I need to start from scratch and back out all the adjustments??

3. My intent is to sell off the stock that came with it and find an A5.....Any surprises anyone can warn of about in terms of bedding, barrel channel, ect ect???

pretty excited to get this thing up and running!!

Re: 40x is here....now some questions!!!

CMP would have correctly headspaced the bolt to your receiver/barrel however for your own piece of mind you could have it checked.

Go to rimfirecentral, click on forums and then click on Remington. There is a sticky at the top in color that has a 'how to' on adjusting the 40-X triggers. If you still aren't happy with it replace it and sell me the old trigger cheap
wink.gif

Don't know what the marks are from?

You can either order an ADL stock and use an ADL triggerguard or order a BDL and use a floorplate. That way if you change plans down the road the A5 will be more usefull or easier to sell.

Someone did a poor job of correctly cutting off that stock and adding the adj. buttplates!!!

Mine isn't here yet, supposedly before 4:30, so really anytime today. Hoping it is new with matching numbers and they just threw on a beater cutoff stock to make it "complete".
smile.gif

The rifle should have been headspaced by the CMP. Many of these have mismatched bolts. The rifle should be a drop in for any RH 700 SA stock. The only hang up will be if it has the older style safety. It sticks out to the side alittle farther than the new style so you may have to remove a 1/8 or so of matterial on the right inside of the stock.

Here's the info on the trigger. Make sure the bolt is uncocked. If you try to turn the screws with the action cocked it preloads the trtigger and you will strip out the threads.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56489

Probably a long shot, but there is a thread running on the CMP forum where everyone with a mismatched bolt is listing their number in hopes to work out a swap.

The heaver barrel models went for $475, but the one the op has pictured is the "short stocked" model and they went for $400. Not too shabby huh? I have one on the way soon too!!

When they posted them for sale on the CMP, one of the guys here saw them and posted here about it. That was how I found out about them.

Damn, wish I would have knew about it. I would have ordered one myself. I have always wanted one but couldn't justify $1000 for a .22 that I probably wouldn't shoot too much.

Kind of the same boat I was in. I wanted a 40x for a LONG time, but couldn't justify spending more than my work rifle for one. When these came up I had to jump on one. I told my wife it's an investment
wink.gif

Really it will be because once these have all found homes the price gouging will begin. Give it six months and I bet they go back up to $1000 a pop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kind of the same boat I was in. I wanted a 40x for a LONG time, but couldn't justify spending more than my work rifle for one. When these came up I had to jump on one. I told my wife it's an investment
wink.gif

Really it will be because once these have all found homes the price gouging will begin. Give it six months and I bet they go back up to $1000 a pop. </div></div>

just for giggles.....I checked our EE, the EE on AR15.com, gunbroker and RFC.....they are already popping up. Looks like 700-900 is the going rate already. NOt to start a flame war, but IMHO that's too bad as the whole point of the CMP was to get rifles into the hands of civilians who wanted to become marksman. We all have the right to sell out property and times are tough. But, people who ordered 3-4 rifles or more just to resell them I think went a bit beyond the pale....IMHO.

lonewolf and others still waiting.....I hope yours comes soon!!!

I do think it's sad, but that's capitalism for ya!

Now if I had to choose between my family eating and my shiny 40x, then down the road it would go for as much as I could get for it.

I wish I had the cash to have bought two more (one for each of my boys), but they will just have to play with mine and decide between the two who gets it when I end my tour of duty.

True, it is capitalism but that's not CMP's intent in selling them. When I was a kid and it was still called DCM IIRC when you purchased a Garand there was a form you signed saying you wouldn't sell the rifle or if you did it would not be for a big mark up.

I wish I could have bought a second one myself. That way I could take the worse of the two and mimic my LTR. The one I have is so nice I've decided to just mount my SS10X and just shoot the hell out of it.

The goal of the CMP now is to promote junior marksman PROGRAMS. To do this, they sell surplus to get the money to have clinics, matches and be able to help shooting clubs with ammo. The money from sales, lets them do this. The CMP works with the government, it is no longer part of it like the DCM was. At one time all the rifles that the DCM or CMP sold, were competitive. Now hey are also ran. Other platforms have the edge, if only a small one, in matches. The 40X and $0XB were fine rifles in their day, now Anschutz rules the roost. You could spend a lot of money making the 40X and 40XB competitive, or you can buy an Anschutz and with the extra money, buy ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: n64atlas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The goal of the CMP now is to promote junior marksman PROGRAMS. To do this, they sell surplus to get the money to have clinics, matches and be able to help shooting clubs with ammo. The money from sales, lets them do this. The CMP works with the government, it is no longer part of it like the DCM was. At one time all the rifles that the DCM or CMP sold, were competitive. Now hey are also ran. Other platforms have the edge, if only a small one, in matches. The 40X and $0XB were fine rifles in their day, now Anschutz rules the roost. You could spend a lot of money making the 40X and 40XB competitive, or you can buy an Anschutz and with the extra money, buy ammo. </div></div>

bite your tongue.........
crazy.gif

.................just kidding

I know there are more competitive models out there.....but none that has this history or name. More importantly, none that I can so easily and nearly perfectly set up as a trainer for my other rem 700 rigs.....