50 cal bullet (Slipstream)

Re: 50 cal bullet

ELR Researcher: This is a real bullet. Alot of 1000yd benchrest shooters used it in early 2000. I am trying to find some and also some info. We are always trying to come up with something new. I have designed quite a few wildcats cartridges also.

excaliber:

Hm...

OK, today (Saturday, March 17, 2012) I received the VHP issue you mentioned. [Happy St Pat's Day!]

Perspective - you previously noted, "Similar in design to the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Scorpion</span></span>." So here is a picture of the Scorpion:

DSC_0626.jpg

As previously advised, I have no scanning capability, so cannot provide a pic of the Slipstream. So I'll describe...

1. There is one photo of the projectile - in a full page ad.

2. The projectile is described as/the ad reads (EXACT quotes, parenthesis and all, right below the pic, top to bottom on the page):

"The 1000 yd and beyond projectile"

"Especially designed for bench rest competition"

"EELR (Effective Extended Long Range) with Dispersal Control".

"Special boat tail - reduces yaw at all speeds (less dispersion), Increases range."

"Center of gravity - 60% from tip reduces the effect of Magnus Moment, for better stabilization at distance."

"Longer overall length - reduces gun tube balloting."

"No special throat or chamber required!!!"

Address, phone and e-mail - no company or individual's name. [IGoogled the e-mail address - zero results. I Googled the address - in Bolingbrook, IL - and several real estate hits and a pic - 1211 SF, one bath, residential house. I Googled the phone - several reverse directory sales pitch listings, some noting with a company name of Eelr and type as "Mfg Ammunition".

Enough already...THE PIC!!!

Poor quality photo:

Top - blurred end of a metric ruler, not positioned at any particular point on the projectile.

Pic of the projectile.

Pic of another projectile for comparison.

Caption below the photo, "EELR recovered from berm at Raton, comparison to mil boat tail."

I'll now do my best to describe this admittedly "recovered from a berm" projectile.

1. Yes, is does look somewhat like the Scorpion IF you could be sure of the shadowed "smear" starting about 2/3rds back - immediately ahead of it is what appears to be a groove impression from the barrel.

2. The "smear" appears to be similar in shape to one of the cut-aways in the Scorpion but about 1/2 the width at the rear and more pointed at the front.

3. The bullet otherwise shows two rifle barrel groove impressions.

4. It appears, probably 7-8 grooves.

5. There is VERY little taper to the rear of the body and boat tail. Could easily be assumed to be a long flat base. Butt end looks to be totally flat BUT not round - "smear" appears to be a VERY shallow concave, possibly not even a full radius.

6. The front end is nothing special, no indication of a hollow point - though the mil comparison projectile appears to be a hollow point.

7. Given the position and lighting, only one "smear" is visible. IMHO, there could be no more than two (2) "smears" - and those nowhere near as pronounced as the Scorpion's.

There was only one match equipment list in this issue og VHP and there were no "slipstream" or EELR or unrecognized brands listed. I did not read through any narrative match reports.

Save for a pic of a large field piece and the caption "My ultimate gun", that is the ENTIRE content of the ad - no caliber, no projectile weight.

My conclusion - "lost in time" and possibly forever. [The last based on my prior Googles where there were NO hits other than the D&D.]

Your thread from here, excaliber.

Maybe a bad idea. If the base was changed to a boatail and change the ogive, maybe we would have something. But what about the Magnus moment. Then center of gravity would change also. But with enough money, just maybe, we could perfect it. Maybe. I am still drawing up ideas, I think the Scorpion style might work but it needs something we just can`t figure out yet. Do you remember the 50 cal bullet that the military used that had a steel 4blade boatail,blue tip, if you want to call it that. Was mainly designed to go about 1000yds only. I can post pics as I have one. The problem I see is a chopping effect like the EELR and the Scorpion. What do you think?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ELR Researcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">excaliber:

Hm...

OK, today (Saturday, March 17, 2012) I received the VHP issue you mentioned. [Happy St Pat's Day!]

Perspective - you previously noted, "Similar in design to the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Scorpion</span></span>." So here is a picture of the Scorpion:

DSC_0626.jpg

As previously advised, I have no scanning capability, so cannot provide a pic of the Slipstream. So I'll describe...

1. There is one photo of the projectile - in a full page ad.

2. The projectile is described as/the ad reads (EXACT quotes, parenthesis and all, right below the pic, top to bottom on the page):

"The 1000 yd and beyond projectile"

"Especially designed for bench rest competition"

"EELR (Effective Extended Long Range) with Dispersal Control".

"Special boat tail - reduces yaw at all speeds (less dispersion), Increases range."

"Center of gravity - 60% from tip reduces the effect of Magnus Moment, for better stabilization at distance."

"Longer overall length - reduces gun tube balloting."

"No special throat or chamber required!!!"

Address, phone and e-mail - no company or individual's name. [IGoogled the e-mail address - zero results. I Googled the address - in Bolingbrook, IL - and several real estate hits and a pic - 1211 SF, one bath, residential house. I Googled the phone - several reverse directory sales pitch listings, some noting with a company name of Eelr and type as "Mfg Ammunition".

Enough already...THE PIC!!!

Poor quality photo:

Top - blurred end of a metric ruler, not positioned at any particular point on the projectile.

Pic of the projectile.

Pic of another projectile for comparison.

Caption below the photo, "EELR recovered from berm at Raton, comparison to mil boat tail."

I'll now do my best to describe this admittedly "recovered from a berm" projectile.

1. Yes, is does look somewhat like the Scorpion IF you could be sure of the shadowed "smear" starting about 2/3rds back - immediately ahead of it is what appears to be a groove impression from the barrel.

2. The "smear" appears to be similar in shape to one of the cut-aways in the Scorpion but about 1/2 the width at the rear and more pointed at the front.

3. The bullet otherwise shows two rifle barrel groove impressions.

4. It appears, probably 7-8 grooves.

5. There is VERY little taper to the rear of the body and boat tail. Could easily be assumed to be a long flat base. Butt end looks to be totally flat BUT not round - "smear" appears to be a VERY shallow concave, possibly not even a full radius.

6. The front end is nothing special, no indication of a hollow point - though the mil comparison projectile appears to be a hollow point.

7. Given the position and lighting, only one "smear" is visible. IMHO, there could be no more than two (2) "smears" - and those nowhere near as pronounced as the Scorpion's.

There was only one match equipment list in this issue og VHP and there were no "slipstream" or EELR or unrecognized brands listed. I did not read through any narrative match reports.

Save for a pic of a large field piece and the caption "My ultimate gun", that is the ENTIRE content of the ad - no caliber, no projectile weight.

My conclusion - "lost in time" and possibly forever. [The last based on my prior Googles where there were NO hits other than the D&D.]

Your thread from here, excaliber.

</div></div>
Don't have my VHP magazine, should go to the mailbox, but that projectile looks similar to the short range round. It was designed to decay in speed VERY rapidly. I can't see a very aggressive shaped boat tail as being aerodynamic.