• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing $50 Hillbilly Gun Oven

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri
Round up the following parts..

One $20 hotplate from Wally World

2 each 24" sections of 8" galvanized warm air pipe

One 8" warm air cap

Roll of 1/2" thick fiberglass pipe wrap insulation

2 rolls of 2" wide Aluminum tape

1/8" thick by 1" wide steel bar about 3 ft long (cut into 3 pieces to make legs)

All the above stuff can be bought at Lowes for about $30

Make this.........

DSC04934.jpg

DSC04936.jpg

DSC04939.jpg

DSC04938.jpg

Note that the hot plate DOES NOT touch the oven anywhere, there is an air gap of about 3/4" all around. This is the trick to even temps, I tried it several different ways and this gives the most even temps.

Also note the 1.5" hole in the side to take temperature measurements.

Now go to Harbor Freight and buy a $15 digital temperature gun. That way you can adjust everything to the right temp.

I tested this on a piece of 1.5" dia. pipe 3.5 ft long and there is less than 25 deg difference in metal temp from top to bottom when you pull it out and check it.

I can run this one to about 400 deg, I have to turn it down some to keep it around 325.

Cooked my 40X and it worked perfect..

While you are at Wal-Mart, buy a $20 toaster oven to cook all the little stuff in, just don't trust the temp marking on the oven, use your new HF temp gun to check the parts.

Re: $50 Hillbilly Gun Oven

Great idea! The one I have been working on has been a reall pia. I am so thick, I've never even thought of a toaster oven for the little stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deputy1505</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great idea! The one I have been working on has been a reall pia. I am so thick, I've never even thought of a toaster oven for the little stuff. </div></div>

Same here, I was like DOH! So simple.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

While you are at Wal-Mart, buy a $20 toaster oven to cook all the little stuff in, just don't trust the temp marking on the oven, use your new HF temp gun to check the parts. </div></div>

i did this but have since retired the toaster oven to my kitchen for eggos and the occasional rotisserie pork or beef roast
grin.gif

latheresto34.jpg

latheresto35.jpg

great idea for the hillbilly budget gun oven!

I talked to the Cerakote guys at Shot Show about setting up an oven with infrared space heaters. This is so much better and cheaper. Thank you.

just want to say thanks i built mine today and total cost was 62.00. then i tried it out. worked great i think i did for my first time coating.

thanks again
toby

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tjonh2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just want to say thanks i built mine today and total cost was 62.00. then i tried it out. worked great i think i did for my first time coating.

thanks again
toby </div></div>

My Lowe's must be cheaper than yours! Actually I just guessed at the cost of the parts, as I had most of it laying around the farm!

Glad it worked well for you.

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">
Thank you sir! I saw this yesterday and just got finished building mine. I went with a 10" piece of duct to have a little more room inside. The hot plate was the hardest thing to find. Three of Wally World's finest <span style="font-style: italic"> <span style="font-weight: bold">ass</span> </span>ociates told me that they did not carry hot plates any more. Finally found a guy in the paint department that gave a s#!t and he found one for me over in the cookware section. Got the last one. I have three projects that I'm just getting ready to spray and bake. I was going to try the infrared drying booth at a friend's auto body shop, but this will be much better. Thanks again for sharing your idea.

Bob
</span> </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bobcape</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">
Thank you sir! I saw this yesterday and just got finished building mine. I went with a 10" piece of duct to have a little more room inside. The hot plate was the hardest thing to find. Three of Wally World's finest <span style="font-style: italic"> <span style="font-weight: bold">ass</span> </span>ociates told me that they did not carry hot plates any more. Finally found a guy in the paint department that gave a s#!t and he found one for me over in the cookware section. Got the last one. I have three projects that I'm just getting ready to spray and bake. I was going to try the infrared drying booth at a friend's auto body shop, but this will be much better. Thanks again for sharing your idea.

Bob
</span> </span> </div></div>

Bob, be sure and do some test runs on a scrap piece of steel first, as the larger (10" pipe)area will require more heat, it may just take a little longer to get to temp, but be sure and check it before you paint your gun!

You might also have to raise or lower the legs to modulate heat a little, as the air gap is important to the muzzle not getting too hot and even temps top to bottom.

If top and bottom on your test part will stabilize within 25-35 deg. or so you will be good.

If the air gap is too big, the lower part will be colder and vice-versa.

Also, keep your end closest to the burner at least 4" or so (higher the better) from the burner element.

If you do have trouble, buy an 8"-10" warm air adapter and put it on the bottom by the hot plate.

Remember not to let the hot plate touch anything and let air get to the plate base for safety and long life of the hotplate.

so are you guys going for a air temp in the tube or are you testing the barrel temp. im useing gun cote and it wants to be cooked at 300 so can i just use air temp?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tjonh2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so are you guys going for a air temp in the tube or are you testing the barrel temp. im useing gun cote and it wants to be cooked at 300 so can i just use air temp? </div></div>

You have to have the PART at temp, with a 300 deg AIR temp, your part might take anywhere from 10 min - 1 hour to get to the proper temp, depending on how much mass and metal type is involved.

In other words, an aluminum trigger guard might take 10 minutes and a very heavy steel barreled action might take 45 minutes just to get the PART to 300.

I believe the only way to know for SURE is to shoot the temp of the PART, and when it gets to temp, then start the cooking time.

After you do it a few times, then you should have a good feel for how long things will take.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bobcape</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">

Bob
</span> </span> </div></div>

Bob, be sure and do some test runs on a scrap piece of steel first, as the larger (10" pipe)area will require more heat, it may just take a little longer to get to temp, but be sure and check it before you paint your gun!

You might also have to raise or lower the legs to modulate heat a little, as the air gap is important to the muzzle not getting too hot and even temps top to bottom.

If top and bottom on your test part will stabilize within 25-35 deg. or so you will be good.

If the air gap is too big, the lower part will be colder and vice-versa.

Also, keep your end closest to the burner at least 4" or so (higher the better) from the burner element.

If you do have trouble, buy an 8"-10" warm air adapter and put it on the bottom by the hot plate.

Remember not to let the hot plate touch anything and let air get to the plate base for safety and long life of the hotplate.

</div></div>
<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">

You are correct sir. After testing I was not getting the temps that I wanted. I added the 10" to 8" adapter on the bottom and now it's working fine. I hope to bake my first barreled action this weekend. Thanks again.

Bob </span> </span>

this is very inventive and very well made. Having seen it in person I think one could bake a good size piece in it.

Also it's quite funny to look at the shop and see lathe, drill press, 220v welder, oxy/acy torch, toaster oven, IR compressor... wait was that a toaster oven?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">now the wife's cooking wont be burnt AND smells like paint. </div></div>

I wouldn't hold my breath...

My Grammy had rigged up something like this back in Louisiana, called it her "Snake-Baker". Or was it a "Bake-a-Snake"? EZ-Bake SNake Oven? Shit I can't remember

FYI: Gramma was a liar and a drunk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if you want to change colors down the road? Do you just sandblast and respray and bake? </div></div>

As far as I know, about everything except Cerakote will strip off with paint stripper and a Brillo pad.

Cerakote will require blasting, it's very tough stuff.

absolutley perfect... thank you thank you

cost will not be less than 50 bux... bc now i have to buy my own cerakote, blasting equipment, and spray gun

laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dcskater602</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what are you using to hang the gun? </div></div>

I tie a thin steel wire through one of the action screw holes, and handle the gun only by this wire. Make a loop in the wire to hang the gun.

I stick a thicker wire (coathanger size) through the 2 holes in the top cap and tie it back on itself, make a hook in it. Hang the gun on this hook and then handle everything by holding the top cap.

Carefully lower the gun down into the tube and set the cap in place.

I have the oven preheated first.

I suggest you do a dry run of the whole procedure before you get the paint applied.