• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

5R Cut Rifled vs SS Match Barrels

Backshoot

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
Tried getting some feedback in my build thread but no replies as to this particular point. I'm looking at a Seekins upper and they offer two barrels (both Rock Creek blanks), the ss match barrel and a 5R cut rifle barrel.

I looked around and it sounds like 5R is basically rounding the rifling grooves in the barrel to lessen bullet deformation (increasing accuracy) and increasing barrel longevity by decreasing wear.

Is that impression correct? Is it worth the $200 difference? I have asked Seekins about the difference between their barrels but haven't been able to get a response.

Thanks

Re: 5R Cut Rifled vs SS Match Barrels

The 5r barrel only has 5 lands and grooves instead of 6. By having only 5, you don't have 2 lands directly across from each other. I am not an experts but I have heard (not personally seen or experienced) that if you take a Remington 5r and put it against it's equal with out the 5r rifling, the 5r is more accurate. I don't know exactly how it makes it more accurate but I am interested to learn cause I have a GAP-10 on order and I know they come with 5r rifling.

All other things being equal a 5R may not copper foul as much, may not deform the bullet as much, may create a better seal due to not having 90 degree corners. The most important thing is that the crown be concentric and hole in the barrel be straight. Doesn't matter if the "ss match" barrel is lapped to a mirror finish if the bore has a bow in it or the crown is boogered. Large shops with the money to buy and maintain new computerized deep hole drilling rigs will more often than not turn out barrels with straighter bores than small custom shops using 70 year old WWII equipt.

If both barrels are from Rock Creek, $200 sounds like a steep pay up for 5R. Go to Krieger's website and read what they say about the two. By the way, Krieger only charges $30 more for 5R. You may want to make sure you're comparing apples to apples with them the two Rock Creek options.

The SS match is probably the button rifled versions and the 5R is cut rifled. The SS Match are probably mass produced for companies and the 5R Cut Rifled are the custom match barrels. Just taking a guess on that one. Call Seekins if you want to make sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SS match is probably the button rifled versions and the 5R is cut rifled.</div></div>

What he said.

I would call them up and ask what sorts of groupings people have been reporting from the barrels and go from there (my guess is both sub moa with right load).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SS match is probably the button rifled versions and the 5R is cut rifled. The SS Match are probably mass produced for companies and the 5R Cut Rifled are the custom match barrels. Just taking a guess on that one. Call Seekins if you want to make sure.</div></div>

Exactly
smile.gif

I can tell a big difference in my remmy 5R vs the 6 groove in 308, both in accuracy, and fouling. this is the most accurate "box" rifle I have ever owned, and if you don't reload it puts 168SKMK's through same hole. Shot with my buddy using Fed SMK 168's
IMG_2725.jpg

This is what the 1st 3 shots of factory SMKs did @ 100 after 2 shot sighter/foulers.
ARP makes 5R for the AR15 I know in 6.8, I built one for a friend, and with factory Hornady I shot a .8", with handloads he's getting .5" groups.
However when I rebarrel which ever 700 is shot out 1st I won't opt for a 5R, it will be a
1 Krieger
2 Brux
3 Bartlein. I'm loving "cut rifle brrls) but I believe the "button" rifled brrls, shoot just as good. AKA Hart/Lilja

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bustin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Large shops with the money to buy and maintain new computerized deep hole drilling rigs will more often than not turn out barrels with straighter bores than small custom shops using 70 year old WWII equipt. </div></div>

Generally speaking, and I hang around a lot of machine shops all day long, I bet my money on a craftsman with pride running a seventy year old Leblond or Shipley verses some little tattood up dope smokin ipod junkie running a Haas or Mori Seiki we just uncrated fifteen minutes ago.

People with skill, and the willingness to do a job right can run cirles around brand new machines all day long, ask Paul over at Rock Creek how old his machines are.

Fresh new CNC machines have their place, but I'll take that WWII Hardinge in the corner over anything made in the last twenty five years myself.

sean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hofhine1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bustin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Large shops with the money to buy and maintain new computerized deep hole drilling rigs will more often than not turn out barrels with straighter bores than small custom shops using 70 year old WWII equipt. </div></div>

Generally speaking, and I hang around a lot of machine shops all day long, I bet my money on a craftsman with pride running a seventy year old Leblond or Shipley verses some little tattood up dope smokin ipod junkie running a Haas or Mori Seiki we just uncrated fifteen minutes ago.

People with skill, and the willingness to do a job right can run cirles around brand new machines all day long, ask Paul over at Rock Creek how old his machines are.

Fresh new CNC machines have their place, but I'll take that WWII Hardinge in the corner over anything made in the last twenty five years myself.

sean </div></div>
Since you brought it up that is why I said it. At one time I used Rock barrels until I received 5 6.5s in 2007 that were not straight. I ran them through the headstock and spider indicated each end and spun them at 360rpm. looked through the bore and it looked like a jump rope. One was to be a 6.5-08AI for F class, it never shot right so it was replaced with a Krieger.

For my purposes decided I couldn't justify the extra 200. If I want a cut rifled barrel i'll upgrade later, for now a good quality SS match barrel will suit me fine at the distances I get to shoot from

I've heard the same things about the 5R. Also, 4-groove & 3-poly also, benefit from the offset/ land to groove ratio that the 5R has. But, IIRC 5R is licensed From Boots Obermyer. That's why it is extra.

I just thought, I'd mention 'H' from ARP uses a 5R button. So, 5R can be a button.

That being said;
I'll agree with the others. Go with the 5R!

I have experience with two factory remington 5r's and I believe there is something magical about 5r rifling. I would spend the extra $200 in a heartbeat.

More then likely the $200 upcharge is not just for the rifleing, it's probably for the amount of time spent rifling the barrel. Single point cut rifling takes a substantial more amount of time then button rifling.

I prefer cut rifling.

Alright, kept reading these as they came in and you all bent my will (that and had some extra money from overtime). Called Seekins today and upgraded the barrel to the 5R cut rifled version. Looking forward to the finished product.

Thanks for asking the question, I just ordered a seekins and opted for the 5R barrel. Per Seekins, the 5R will give better accuracy if the shooter behind the rifle has skill. Otherwise not needed and any benefit would not be noticed.