• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting & Fishing 6.5 Gendel, enough for deer sized game?

Buzzsaw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2006
Frisco, Texas
I have a pretty accurate bolt action 6.5 Grendel. I had it built to be my deer gun here in Texas, maybe 200# on the hoof and that's a BIG one. Hogs and Axis deer.

My main reload is 28.0 Gr. VV540 with the 130 gr.Berger VLD , I am getting 2400 FPS. I also am shooting the Barnes 120 gr. Tipped Tripleshock to 2500 FPS

Is this "enough gun" given a well placed shot out to 300 +/- yards???

Your thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Re: 6.5 Gendel, enough for deer sized game?

I've got an upper on order with Specialized Dynamics that I plan on using as my deer gun. I can't speak from experience, but I know there are several folks on here that use the cal for deer. You should be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a pretty accurate bolt action 6.5 Grendel. I had it built to be my deer gun here in Texas, maybe 200# on the hoof and that's a BIG one. Hogs and Axis deer.

My main reload is 28.0 Gr. VV540 with the 130 gr.Berger VLD , I am getting 2400 FPS. I also am shooting the Barnes 120 gr. Tipped Tripleshock to 2500 FPS

Is this "enough gun" given a well placed shot out to 300 +/- yards???

Your thoughts and opinions are welcome.</div></div>

It will kill it if you hit it in the right spot. 300 yds puts my 123 scenar at just over 1100fpe and I have heard over 700 is what you want to be "ethical".

2400fps sounds slow to me especially for a bolt gun. My AR Grendel is at 2585 with the 123gr, but in a bolt I'm sure I could push it further. No idea on accuracy though I guess.

Paging Badmojo...
laugh.gif

Him and his brother "Smack" have some good sized Mulie's running around their parts that should fear the Grendel...hahahaa!

IMG_0304_3.jpg

IMG_0268-1.jpg

Here's a link to their thread....It has some load info in it that you may be interested in.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...387#Post2126387

Good luck,

-Pat

.30-'06, yep.

6.5 Grendel, I don't really think so; but you can do the math... I'd hate to say 'yep' and be the one you blame when it ain't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.30-'06, yep.

6.5 Grendel, I don't really think so; but you can do the math... I'd hate to say 'yep' and be the one you blame when it ain't. </div></div>

Huh?

Well according to my “math,” a 24” barreled Grendel will hit the chest of any critter I see fit too shoot with over a 1,000lbs of energy out to 400 yards using factory Hornady ammo (w/123grn AMAX)…..971lbs @ 300 yards with a 16” carbine…. Oh, and if shooting paper is your game; an 18" barreled stick will keep that puppy with it's .510 B.C. supersonic past a 1,000yards.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it Greg….Hahahahahaa!
wink.gif

-Pat

No problemmo.

I just have this thing for hunting and the .30-'06 ("...and there aren't many things as can't be fixed with $700 and a thutty aught six..."; reputed to Cooper, but I think it actually was a quote supposedly relayed by a relative of his.).

Better to have the 'Whack" amd not need it all, than to need it and come up short. Sometimes the extra comes in handy. To me, when there's question about having enough gun, I prefer to err on the side of excess.

The '06 case capacity is about the limit of what I can handle, which is why I shy away from magnums. Actually, lately I cheat a bit, siding more and more with the .280 Rem (flatter for farther, same great "Whack").

Haven't smoked a pipe for a little over 35 years.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No problemmo.

I just have this thing for hunting and the .30-'06 ("...and there aren't many things as can't be fixed with $700 and a thutty aught six..."; reputed to Cooper, but I think it actually was a quote supposedly relayed by a relative of his.).

Better to have the 'Whack" amd not need it all, than to need it and come up short. Sometimes the extra comes in handy. To me, when there's question about having enough gun, I prefer to err on the side of excess.

The '06 case capacity is about the limit of what I can handle, which is why I shy away from magnums. Actually, lately I cheat a bit, siding more and more with the .280 Rem (flatter for farther, same great "Whack").

Haven't smoked a pipe for a little over 35 years.

Greg </div></div>

Hard to disagree with anything said there Greg. There's probably more 06's in the homes/collections of people I know, than any other high power caliber I can think of. Simply a great all around cartridge.

<span style="font-style: italic">"Haven't smoked a pipe for a little over 35 years."</span>

Well Greg, we just happen to have a little city around here we call San Francisco...AND...today happens to be 4/20/11. I'm guessing the good folks of that town maaaay be able to help....hehehehhahahaa!

-Pat

I'll find out for myself this fall... Last 600 yard F class practice I ran 5 rounds of 120 NBT through my rifle, and it was holding the 10 ring with an X or 2. With that kind of accuracy I would think that I would be able to take a deer at 500 or so. I don't know how well the bullet would expand at that distance though...

fully expect the 6.5 grendel to be more than adequate; have used 6.5 TCU to do the job, and 300 whisper out of a rem xp bolt 10" hand gun at 300yrd the grendel has far more energy than these, it is closer to the 260 rem that i've used with a 14" t/c encore, all of these were one shot kills, load it up and go for it.