• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5 Grendel barrel suggestions

PewZ

Private
Minuteman
Supporter
Oct 19, 2023
Missouri
Looking for suggestions on 6.5 Grendel barrels. Budget is around 300 or less. This is mainly going to be a hunting rifle so I’m looking for a lightweight 16”. Preferably moa or sub moa. I’ve been exploring Faxon and Wilson combat as an option just seeing mixed reviews. Are there any better bang for your buck barrels that are around 1.5lb? Thanks in advance.

Bump your budget by 100-150 and you open yourself up to much better barrels.

Rainier Ultramatch
Lilja from Six Sigma
Criterion from PF

You can get a cut-rifled barrel from McGowen for $340 right now with their summer sale.

I run 2 6.5Gs, both with Rainier ultramatch barrels, a 12.5 and an 18, absolute titties, very accurate, easy clean-up, highly recommend. I ran mine this weekend next to a proof that cost 2X, the proof was lighter, but not any more accurate.
Wilson is trading on name now, not quality, in my opinion. I have been a customeer for over 25 yeas, going back to their 1911 hayday, I don't buy their AR stuff any more, too many good alternatives for same or less money.

Faxon is a value brand with decent performance, but nowhere near Rainier's ultramatch - in my experience.

Once you go below ~$350, you’re rolling the dice on whether or not you’ll get MOA/sub MOA.

I rolled the dice with one of the early Faxon group buy 12” Grendel pipes, which has a really heavy shank and overall heavy-for-length mass. It consistently puts 5rds of 123gr ELD-M into an inch at 100yds, and I regularly use it for shooting steel out to 800-900yds. 1st-round hits are pretty easy at 600-780yds on 2 MOA steel. I would not expect this performance from most $200-$250 pipes.

I have a 16” Lilja lightweight Wasp profile barrel that shoots bugholes, from the original Lilja group buy we did. It’s just one of those hummers.

For a 16” hunter, you’ll be fine with 1.5 MOA 5rd group performance anyway for a lightweight.

Either relax your requirement or up your budget a little as mentioned, but I would lean on scope budget more than biting it out of the barrel if it’s just for hunting medium game.

Now if you’re planning on extending the range a bit for coyotes, you really need a good shooter due to vital zone size and how skittish/fidgety they are.

Right now, there’s an excellent deal on Sons of Liberty Gun Works 13.9” MLGS Grendel barrels, but I have no experience with them firsthand to say how they shoot.

There’s also a good deal on some 13.9” Grendel pipes from Craddock.

My go-to sources for a while have been Precision Firearms and Lilja. I have at least 8 Grendels right now. I’ve been shooting it since 2009, starting with a 16” AA that I later gave to my brother. The main ones I take out are 18” LaRue, 17.6” Lilja, and my 12”. The 12” has been shot the most over the past 6 years.

Get a Rexus 6.5 Grendel Ultrabolt.

Last edited:
I have an 18” Rainier “Match”. I don’t have but 40 rounds through it but it’s shot really good groups from the start. Well worth the $260 price tag so far. Next time I put it on paper I’ll post some groups.

I have a couple of the Craddock RTR barrels on the way. We’ll see how they do.

Last edited:
I have a lightweight faxon nitride 6 arc. .750 all the way to the first taper. It needed some smoothing in the barrel extention. I only tried 1 bullet and power so far and it was easy to get shooting MOAish with a razor 2-10.

Reactions: Jsp556
Once you go below ~$350, you’re rolling the dice on whether or not you’ll get MOA/sub MOA.

I rolled the dice with one of the early Faxon group buy 12” Grendel pipes, which has a really heavy shank and overall heavy-for-length mass. It consistently puts 5rds of 123gr ELD-M into an inch at 100yds, and I regularly use it for shooting steel out to 800-900yds. 1st-round hits are pretty easy at 600-780yds on 2 MOA steel. I would not expect this performance from most $200-$250 pipes.

I have a 16” Lilja lightweight Wasp profile barrel that shoots bugholes, from the original Lilja group buy we did. It’s just one of those hummers.

For a 16” hunter, you’ll be fine with 1.5 MOA 5rd group performance anyway for a lightweight.

Either relax your requirement or up your budget a little as mentioned, but I would lean on scope budget more than biting it out of the barrel if it’s just for hunting medium game.

Now if you’re planning on extending the range a bit for coyotes, you really need a good shooter due to vital zone size and how skittish/fidgety they are.

Right now, there’s an excellent deal on Sons of Liberty Gun Works 13.9” MLGS Grendel barrels, but I have no experience with them firsthand to say how they shoot.

There’s also a good deal on some 13.9” Grendel pipes from Craddock.

My go-to sources for a while have been Precision Firearms and Lilja. I have at least 8 Grendels right now. I’ve been shooting it since 2009, starting with a 16” AA that I later gave to my brother. The main ones I take out are 18” LaRue, 17.6” Lilja, and my 12”. The 12” has been shot the most over the past 6 years.

Get a Rexus 6.5 Grendel Ultrabolt.
Craddock also now sells a 18" 6.5G barrel...
https://craddockprecision.com/rtr-6-5-grendel-18/

What you're looking for is actually no longer available unless @Constructor has a line on one. The AR Performance 16 inch 6.5 Grendel Barrel is excellent.

Outside of that, save your pennies and have Precision Firearms spin up what you want.

I know they’re “budget barrels” but I have 2 Ballistic Advantage barrels(16”&20”) that are sub moa with multiple types of ammunition. Really surprised how well they shoot

A couple of other sources:
I've had good luck with Satern / Liberty barrels for the Grendel
https://shop.saternbarrels.net/t/65-grendel

I have a couple of bolt guns with X-Caliber Barrels that shoot pretty well.
https://www.x-caliber.net/custom-ar-barrel
You'll have to wait for a 20% off sale, but X-Cal has them for every holiday.
They're generally spun up to order, so there might be lead time for one of their barrels.

Reactions: drewthebrave