• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5 mm cartridge recommendations

Unknown

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2009
Pacific Northwest,USA
About two years ago I ordered an Obermeyer 6.5mm 5R barrel with 1-8.75 twist. I asked Boots which twist would work best with the 142/147 grain bullets at velocities of 2700-2950 and that was his recommedation. So, the barrel finally arrived, and now I to pick which cartridge to chamber the rifle in that I plan to build.

Most of my shooting (80%) will be inside 600 yards. Another 15% will be inside at 1000 yards and less. Although I would like to stretch from 1000 to 1400 or so, the reality is that it is hard to find a range of that distance within reasonable driving time. And I already have a Sako TRG22, and McMillan built M40 in 300 Win mag for really long distances.

Terry Cross has had very good success with the 6.5-08 Ackley improved, and so far, that is the cartridge I'm leaning toward.

For many reasons, I don't want to use the 6.5 Creedmoor, or the 6.5x47.

I guess the only other cartridge that seems to be giving really good performance is the 6.5-284, but at the price of shorter barrel life. However, I do agree with those who look at barrels as expendable items, sort of like powder and bullets. They won't last forever, but it would be really nice if I could get 1500 to 2000 rounds of accurate barrel life before I have to rebarrel or set the barrel back.

What are the current thoughts on cartridges in 6.5mm for long distance shooting? I have also considered the 6.5 Gibbs (30-06 necked down to 6.5 and Ackleyized), but I think cartridge with the short fat powder column give better performance.

Any suggestions or thoughts on this would be gratefully accepted.

Re: 6.5 mm cartridge recommendations

It sounds like you haven't purchased the action yet, meaning you don't have a prefernce yet on a long or short action cartridge.

IMO, the 6.5-284 is just too hard on barrels.

I fail to see why you'd overlook the 6.5 Creedmore/Lapua option, but it is your choice.

The 260 Remington is a fine choice. I'm not sure why you feel the need to Ackleyize it. Are you okay with the extra fire-forming hassles?

If you want suggestions on other options, the big one you haven't mentioned yet is the 6.5x55 Swede. An old cartridge, but very capable, and less abusive on barrels than other long-action 6.5mms.

Found a few threads on the topic;

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1950857

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1815972&page=1

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1503157&page=1

Based on the chambering's you mentioned, they are all long action calibers. I am assuming you are either looking at velocities from those chamberings(with a ballistics calculator), or you do in fact have the action in mind. Keep it simple, stay away from fireforming IMO

Unless it was recent, I don't recall Terry using the 6.5-08...I thought it was .260 ackley to which he concluded it wasnt worth the trouble and settled on a standard .260. I could be wrong

You're talking about building a rifle around a blank you have, and making it fit a certain range capability. I would suggest re-evaluating that. The blank is a small sum compared to the finished product. Do a 7mm instead.

I love 6.5's and own two of them. Both are short action calibers and go transonic around 1400-1500. They are fantastic to shoot, great ballistics, low recoil, 3K plus barrel life, and cheap to reload for.

6.5-06 for long action; .260 Rem for short. But, once you get the 140gr 6.5 bullet to 2800 FPS and above you barrel life is going to be limited.

Good lick

Jerry

Unknown,

If 95% of your shooting is under 1000 yds, then you don't really need a LR 6.5 mm round. Any 6.5mm case capable of driving a 140 gr match bullet to 2750 FPS can reach near 1300 yds, supersonically.

So just about any 6.5, like the standard 260 Rem. 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55mm, can hit @ 1300 yds realistically, without going wildcat or chambering a barrel burner.

Going to a faster 6.5's like the 6.5x284 nets you only another 150 yds at best. Going to the 260 Improved gains you only about 75 yds max. and still staying supersonic.

Don't just believe me, run some JBM tables yourself and see what more velocity actually buys you.

Bob

I haven't purchased an action yet, but it will be a bolt gun. I would prefer a short action so I don't have to raise my cheek off the stock while working the bolt, but I can work around the long action's few disadvantages.

The setup I'm looking at is a Surgeon action, detatchable box magazine, I haven't settled on which stock yet.

BobinNC makes some excellent points. If I'm only going to get another 150 yards out of a barrel burner (1300 to 1450 roughly), and if the vast majority of my shooting is inside of 1000 yards, then the wisdom says to get something pretty standard like a straight 260.

I read an article about (or maybe by) Terry Cross on 6mmbr.com where he spoke quite highly about the 6.5-08AI using a 40 degree shoulder. I don't think there is enough difference between that round and the 260 Remington AI to quibble about either one if I go that route. To date, no one has been able to tell me what difference (if any) there is between the two cartridges. Mr. Cross likes the 6.5-08AI as he says it is easy to fireform, and necks don't have to be turned.

But going back to the barrel life issue, if a standard 260 Remington or 6.5 Swede will get me 2000-3000 rounds out of a barrel, and the vast majority of my shooting is inside 1000 yards, either of those cartridges will do fine.

I don't see much wisdom in getting so much velocity that I cut barrel life in half, especially if I rarely shoot at any distance that will require the extra velocity.

As for Cpl Snafu's suggestion that I go with a 7mm, I already own the 6.5mm barrel, so I'll go with something in 6.5mm rather than buying another barrel. I do have to admit to being a big fan of the 280 Remington though. But that would be another thread.

I am a big fan of the 6.5's. The .260 is by far my favorite round for matches and varminting. That said my other 6.5 is a .264 win mag and I love it. Very mild load/powder charge for 140's (59 grains of H4831sc) but flying down range at 3000 FPS with no compressed loads or pressure.

Think about it, if the .260 wipes the floor with the .308 what does the .264WM do to the 300WM - same concept. I think even shooting the heavy .208's out of the 300WM, the .264 shooting 140's still bests it in the wind and drop. The only thing the .264 doesn't have is massive energy, but in order to get it you get masssive recoil as well. The .264 gives a mild push that even recoil sensitive guys could learn to shoot well, no muzzle brake required. The LOP is set for my build and I don't have to raise my face to work the bolt.

Mine is a Factory Sendero .264 with about 600 rounds through it and will soon rebarrel it, but the throat looks like it has lots of life left.

I took this Elk at 645 yards with it.
IMG_4507.jpg

Good Luck,

JamieD

Go 260. The 260AI was not worth the extra effort in my opinion. Also consider all the above listed reasons. They are spot on. If you work up the 260, it is a more than capable round.

My 6.5x47mm Lapua runs a 142g SMK at a very mild 2750 fps (24" Bartlein). At this velocity, I'm supersonic to 1300 meters. With my cut-rifled barrel, I'm told to expect closer to 4000 rounds of usable life.

This case is just slightly shorter than the 260 Remington (47mm versus 51mm), but the efficent design makes up for it. The slight length reduction allows me to seat a long VLD forward of the neck/shoulder junction, thus avoiding the donut problem and without crowding the magazine walls. I don't believe that can be said for a 260 Remington.

My COAL is 2.757" with the bullet just touching the lands. Plenty of room in my AICS magazine!

<span style="font-style: italic">(140g Berger VLD shown @ 2.803")</span>
Picture010.jpg

I have a 260 and a 6.5-06 and I've really enjoyed both rounds. The 6.5-06 is a scorcher and I wouldn't be shooting it if I wasn't retubing my rifles, I couldn't afford to pay someone to do the job for me.

Bob's advice is right on and I'd suggest the 260 or 6.5x47L, they are both excellent rounds and will do exactly what you want. My 6.5-06 stays above Mach 1 to about 1800yd and I've had it to a mile a few times with decent results. I'm getting 3150-3175 from a 28" barrel, keep in mind that these big muscle 6.5's need long barrels to excel, otherwise that extra powder capacity is wasted by not being able to use the really slow stuff like H1000 and Retumbo.

It sure is nice to shoot a blistering flat round, though for practical uses you're probably going to be better suited with the 260 sized case.

I was thinking 6.5-06 when you were talking -08 (i even wrote it). You're right, no practical difference between it and a .260 ackley. I figured you had read the old article on Terry. It has been several years since he was doing that.

I have a 6.5X47 and it is actually a lot shorter than a .260 (.185" iirc), but the brass is crazy tough and you can push it harder. I load 37 gr of varget behind a 130 JLK for 27XX fps. Just a pussycat that stays supersonic forever.

I have a 6.5x55. Here it is:

IMG_0017-1.jpg

Shooting 140 A Max @ 2720 out of it. BTW I don't have to lift my head to work the bolt.

Also, I have a .260 on order. I went with 6.5x55 first just to be different. Since, you would like to use a short action, I say go with the .260.

Jamie

Josh,

Thanks for the update on what Cross is using. I find it is useful to pay attention to what successful people use, what they have tried, discarded, and what they end up with.

Everything considered, I am now leaning mostly toward just a straight 260. The barrel is still just a blank, and it was made so that it will finish out at around 26 inches, maybe more. I will probably go with a 26 inch barrel as the really long barrels get harder to maneuver around. If I go with much shorter than that, then I'll be having to deal with more pressure issues when I try to get the 142/147 grain bullets up around 2900fps.

Many thanks to all the input. It really helped me out a great deal.

I have shot a .260 with 139 Scenars at 1Km (listed as 1123yd) from a 24" barrel. Good accuracy.

I now use a 28" L-W and get 2850fps from 142SMK/140A-Max, and I don't believe in hotloading.

The .260 is plenty adequate and capable, very easy to handload, and gives the bore an even break. Just do it.

Greg

Have you considered the 6.5x57AI. Use a 257AI reamer and finish with a 6.5 throater. Easy on barrels. Components are everywhere and cheaper. You may need a intermediate/long action if you want more than a single shot however.

Edit: This cartridge is superb out to 600 yards with 123 Lapua Scenars.

Glock 24, when you say

"The slight length reduction allows me to seat a long VLD forward of the neck/shoulder junction, thus avoiding the donut problem".... you mean the base of the bullet does not protrude further than the neck/shoulder junction?? Thanks

I am surprised at your speed, matches or beats a 6,5 x 55 ..interesting.

Now that someone posted about the 6.5x55 it has me thinking about it...I had pretty much settled on the 260 until then. Cheap Lapua brass for the 6.5x55 is a big consideration that I would take into account. I used to have an old 6.5x55 Swede sniper rifle that shot really well. Got rid of it because replacing the scope and base that had been removed would have cost 2-3 times what the rifle was worth.

Questions about the differences between the 260 and 6.5x55:

1. Will the 6.5x55 require a long action?
2. Which cartridge will get the best velocity with 142/147 grain bullets?
3. Is the 6.5x55 harder on barrel life than the 260 Remington?
4. Is one cartridge inherently more accurate than the other?

If the velocity gain is minimal, and the 6.5x55 requires a long action, then I'll stay with the 260. Barrel life is a minor consideration unless it will cut barrel life in half. Accuracy is a major consideration.

Unknown,

Answers:

1) Will the 6.5x55 require a long action? Require a long action, no. But the gymnastics of shoehorning a 6.5x55 into a short requires some action modifications. Practically speaking, it's not worth the effort (see answer 2). Keep the the 6.5x55 in a Long Action with a COAL of 3.150".

2) Which cartridge will get the best velocity with 142/147 grain bullets? The 6.5x55 has a 2 grains more capacity, which can be utilized for slightly higher velocity, if you use a long action for the 6.5x55.

3) Is the 6.5x55 harder on barrel life than the 260 Remington? Both loaded to the same pressures; Not enough to make a difference.

4) Is one cartridge inherently more accurate than the other? Yes, in theory, short and fat cartridges (like the 260), are inherently more accurate, than long and thin catridges, for benchrest use maybe. In practical terms, not really enough for you to notice.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gyr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock 24, when you say

"The slight length reduction allows me to seat a long VLD forward of the neck/shoulder junction, thus avoiding the donut problem".... you mean the base of the bullet does not protrude further than the neck/shoulder junction?? Thanks

I am surprised at your speed, matches or beats a 6,5 x 55 ..interesting. </div></div>

I mean the junction on the bullet at the boat-tail/body does not sit deeper in the case than the neck/shoulder junction on the case. I'm not talking about the base of the bullet.

I always assumed my speed was medicore. Most guys push their 6.5x47mm Lapua's a lot faster.

good thread, as I am also saving for a 6.5 build. got a krieger 8 twist, saving for an aics, bighorn action, and timmney.

So far, my vote is also for the straight 260 esp after hearing the 200fps for the 260AI will only net maybe 200 more yds, and since I will never shoot past 1200yds, it wont matter.

Thanks
all.

Another advantage of the 6.5x55 is that you can get very high quality match grade brass from Laupa. Also, don't overlook Norma's new 130 gr. Gold Match bullet. According to my ballistic charts the extra 100 fps at the muzzle is flatter and less wind drift to 1000 yds than the 140 gr. bullets.

I feel the 6.5x55mm offers another couple of advantages in addition to those listed above.

When you load a 6.5x55mm with a 140gr class bullet, powder capacity is not reduced. One has the option not to use it depending on desired speed, pressure, and powder. When fitting a .260 case with a 139gr Scenar into a standard Remington short-action magazine, you lose powder capacity because the bullet is so long. That has been my experience. The 6.5x55mm is much shorter than the '06 so there is plenty of room.

The 6.5x55mm is simple in terms of reloading unlike the wildcats, e.g. no case forming/necking, high quality brass availability. There is a lot of reloading data out there from very low velocity practice loads to high velocity, long range loads.

So if the 6.5x55 case is 55mm long, and the 260 case is formed from 308 brass at 51mm, the 6.5x55 is 4mm or about .165 longer. I'll have to look at case diagrams to see where the extra .165 is on the case. If it is a .165 longer case neck, or .165 longer to the base of the shoulder.

I'll also have to find out if the short Surgeon 591 action will require modification in order to use the Swede case.

I think the biggest advantage of the Swede over the 260 would be the reduced price and availability of Lapua cases. The Lapua cases really are an advantage. I don't know if the 2 grains extra powder that the Swede holds will give much practical advantage...maybe 50 yards more range...when/if I will ever use it.

So that brings me back to the reality of how far will I realistically be using the cartridge. If neither the Swede or the 260 are often used past 1300 yards, then getting one to go to 1350 yards won't be much of an advantage. I keep thinking that the last time I got to shoot 1000 yards was about a year ago.

I shoot 600 yards quite a few times every month, and either cartridge will easily do that.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. So many things to consider just to avoid post chambering regrets...("Damn! I wish I would have chambered this rifle for the 260 mega super blaster rather than just the 260 super blaster.")

In all seriousness though, thanks very much for all the information.

Another consideration would be if I get another gas gun...then I would be much better off to go with the 260 as many gas gun makers already chamber for that, and it will easily fit into a magazine for DPMS and Armalite rifles. As I already have a few gas guns, maybe that is a side issue to consider to make logistics easier.

I've seen folks put a lot of buckage into 6.5x55 1Kyd F Class guns and not get that knowing smile they expected to have. In the primary individual's case, it's not necessarily the cartridge's fault.

If I had an L/A donor action, it would be my choice for a 6.5mm chambering. In all honesty I think the L/A would also be the better choice for the .260, regarding OAL's, magazines, and VLD rifling engagement.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">I've seen folks put a lot of buckage into 6.5x55 1Kyd F Class guns and not get that knowing smile they expected to have.</span> In the primary individual's case, it's not necessarily the cartridge's fault.

If I had an L/A donor action, it would be my choice for a 6.5mm chambering. In all honesty I think the L/A would also be the better choice for the .260, regarding OAL's, magazines, and VLD rifling engagement.

Greg </div></div>

I think to get that "knowing smile" they need to goto a 6.5x55BJA or 6.5x55AI which puts it right there with the 6.5x284

If you go with the 6.5x55 use a long action. My Tac Ops Delta 55 shoots great; it was designed around the Norma round. They had to make a custom reamer to build the rifle and this added about $200 to the build. I have developed a load for this rifle and it looks to be a good one. I am using Lapua brass (64.99 for 100), Hornaday A-MAX 140s, 45 gn H4350, and winchester primers (can't get Fed or CCI right now). I load it to the lands 3.07 COAL and MV is 2780. If the COAL is 3.05 the MV is 2720.

Jamie

Seriously you won't notice any difference at all between .260, 6.5x47, 6.5x55, 6.5CM in the real world, fuck all the bigger cased 6.5's, too much more powder/less barrel for no gain

pick one at random and shoot it and you'll be satisfied

Unknown,
I wouldn't put to much weight on the brass issues with the .260. I and many others have run Remington brass (cleaned up a little) and they shot lights out, just as accurate as my .243 lapua brass. The brass isn't going to make or brake the rifles accuracy.
I can't say enough about the .260, it is a great all around round. Both of my personal rifles ran 140 A-maxs and H4350 around 42 grains at 2800fps. Plenty of speed to do anything you are going to ask it to do. It is my favorite round. I shot several woodchucks past 900 yards with it, with the furtherest being 1140.
Just spend some time making good rounds with good tecknique and enjoy the rifle. You won't regret it.

JamieD

After reviewing this, I still suggest the .260 in a long action.

The .473" diameter bolt face is very versatile for barrel switching, and the long action both utilizes the .260 with fewer OAL hassles, and it's a slam-dunk for longer cartridges, like the .30-'06, .280 Rem (and even the 6.5x55 even though the nominal base diameter is different. My experience with American (Remington) branded Swede brass is that it's actually .473" anyway.). The chambering works well out to at least 1KM, it's respectful of bores and throats, and brass sources are actually a very easy matter, as long as one can F/L resize .243/7-08 in a .260 die. Lapua makes .243 brass. If I had a <span style="font-style: italic">real</span> complaint about Rem .260 brass, it'd be that the primer pockets may open up a tad earlier, but not by much.

Greg

Keep asking questions Unknown,

I am considering a .260 rem build myself so I am learning right along side you. That being said, the above statement by Greg makes me stop and think about a .260 in a long action which is something I have never considered. Makes me wonder what other advantages there might be aside from OAL issues, later rechambering, etc.

Respectfully,
Curt

I have got my eye on this thread as well.
I have an AICS 2 short action stock, payment sent on a Huber 2 stage trigger, and a Lawton 7000 action I am seriously considering a 260, or 260 AI but after reading this it looks like I will stick with the good ol'e standard 260.
Can't I trim my action so that I can run the longer bullets?
That would solve the mag length issues.
SScott

Even if trimming the action were possible I believe you would still have the same issue (assuming you were trying to use a magazine like an AICS) due to length limitation with the magazine itself. If im wrong somone please chime in! That is why im hoping to learn more about a long action being used with the 260 rem.

Although I have been wrong before...ok...alot...but whose counting? lol

As alot of the matches I shoot in require higher magazine capacity, I will be going with something that will allow me to use the Accuracy International Arctic Warfare 10 round mags. So, I have decided on the Defiance Machine, Defender action because it will use either the AI/AW magazines, or the AI/AE magazines.

I'll be having the rifle chambered for the 260 Remington, and the AI mags will allow seating the bullet out to 2.89. If I remember correctly (2.81 is max length for 308). So that magazine system will allow me to "chase the lands" a little longer.

I'll have to ask the gunsmith where the ogive starts with the reamer he has, then decide if I need to have a custom reamer made.

I already have an Obermeyer 5R barrel waiting to be mounted. I'll be sending money off to Defiance early this week to get the action started.

I have already dealt with Defiance about the specifics for the action, and am very impressed with the service I have received so far. In fact, that service is the primary reason I changed my decision about actions from Surgeon to Defiance. I haven't spoken with Surgeon so I'm not intending to insult them in any way. It was the combination of the Defiance actions ability to use either kind of AI magazine along with the wonderful help I got from them that sewed up my decision.

Stock will most likely be a HS precision PST025, and I'll use a rifle Basix trigger.
If Smith Enterprises has the Coast Guard brake out in 6.5mm now, that is what I plan to go with as I have had excellent results with the other SEI brake I used.

Now if I can sell or trade my FNAR I can start looking at which scope to get. I'm currently looking at IOR, Leupold, or Nightforce scopes the most. Nightforce and Leupold have the most travel in the scope (100 MOA) where the IOR's I have looked at have about 60-75MOA of elevation travel available.

If most of your shooting are inside 600yds you don't need "high velocity". I think it is important to get good barrellife and put as many rounds downrange as possible.

I have posted this in another thread about barrellife in 6.5x55:

"In Norway people are still shooting the old Krag match rifles for fun. The Krag action will not handle extended use of the commercial rounds made for swedish Mausers. The loads for the Krag has to be reduced even further. A typical Krag match load is the 142grSMK@2500fps. One of the best powders is VV N160 that works well at low pressure in the Krag. Most important, barrellife is 6-7000 rounds in the old Krags.

In the Sauer STR/SSG3000 normal barrellife is 3500-4000 with a 142grSMK@2750fps."

TorF,
You old dog!! Long time no see. I used to talk to you over on Sniper Country. I was mrbullet over there. You were the one that talked me into the 260 years ago when it was just coming out over here.

Well I am on my 3rd barrel in one and have a 6.5x55 too. My 6.5x55 is built on a Remington long action and shoots 139s. I love the 6.5x55 too. Its just a little better for long range than the 260 is. It handles the 140s a lot better. The 260 is a tad small for the heavier bullets in my opinion and does its best with the 123 and 130s. I shot the barrels out of a couple of 6.5x284s and loved them. But I just couldn't stand replacing a barrel every winter.

I was getting around 2200 to 2400rds out of the 260s in comps. and wanted better barrel life so I remembered what you had said about the 6.5x55s and had one of them built.

I started out shooting the 139s, the load that shot the best was about as hot as my 6.5x284 so I backed it down at about the same velocity as my 260 in hopes of getting more barrel life out of the 6.5x55 over the 260 since it would be less pressures and a slower powder.

After a couple of years I decided to go back to the original hotter load because it was more accurate at 1000yds then the slower load and I had quit competing anyway. Hope all is well with you.

Greg,
The 6.5x55 is as accurate as any of the 6.5s out there, trust me, I have shot most of them. I still think the 6.5x284 is the king of them all though but just to hard on barrels. I am going to build a straight 284 on my one 260 when the barrel goes south. Its at 2800+ now but no comps and I did have it set back at 1800rds and its still shooting damn good!!

Had a good read through this thread..

6.5's are definitely a good choice for ballistics, recoil etc....

BUT......

I am sold on the 6.5X47L 110%. The rifle I have and this chambering have far exceded my expectations. The accuracy is phenominal, brass fantastic, and the rifle is a dream to drive.

I like being able to seat the 140+ grain projectiles right out and still run them through the AI mags.....

I am running a 3 groove 26" barrel with moly projectiles... with H4350 I am running the 142SMK's at 2810fps, no pressure issues and it is a compressed load. 123L at 2910fps again H4350 compressed load.

I'm impressed! I have no tought about going to another chambering, even the big 30's. I have recently sold my custom 300WSM cause I didnt see any need for it. Everytime I was going to the safe I was grabbing the 6.5. I do not hunting aything that warrants a bigger round either!!

CHeers