• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.8 x 51mm / .277 Fury

hkguns

Identify as a Man
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2013
Bora Bora
I couldn't find any threads on this, so here goes.

I picked this up on Saturday.
p709295618-5.jpg

I bought the hybrid brass cases over a year ago and have been waiting for the rifle to hit the streets from SIG.

My Forster dies arrived today.

Quickload says I could possibly push 49-ish gr of H335, using 112gr bullets and be within pressure limits. Obviously I would work my way up to that number.

Reloading data is really hard to come by and I like to reference a few sources before loading some up and tossing them into the chamber.

Has anyone loaded for this cartridge yet? If so, what did you find and if you used QL can it be trusted like you would trust it with 30-06?

If you have quickload then develop reasonable pressure loads and true the system to the real world.
Then push forward and see how high you can go without rising above the 80k psi.

With a steel case head the brass in the chamber is no longer the weak spot, the whole thing is equal so beware, it’ll go from nothing to a grenade when it does let loose from too much pressure.

I don’t know that anyone on here is doing anything with the hybrid cases that could share besides the one guy who can’t shut up about em. After reading his novels you’ll want to go back to regular brass.

Last edited:
I don't know about QL but I do use GRT and what would concern me about either is how well the powder models work going to 80KSI and also how the powers themselves behave. They may be fine but the issue is there is not much data available to qualify them.

As for the round itself I would be concerned about the primers, as we use these primes as indication we are over 65KSI. How will they hold up? Can we use them as an indicator of pressure? I doubt it. With the hybrid case the only pressure indication is hard bolt lift but in a Semi Auto that will be hard to detect.

It is interesting that no-one seems to have published data for 65KSI Fury. As for the 80KSI hybrid case this is a patented design and I suspect that only Sig is going to manufacture the case. At least for some time.

Reactions: hkguns
Thanks for the responses.

With the rounds I normally load, I've found QL, to generally fall on the lighter side, as one would expect for safety reasons. I suppose I'll start with QL using a powder I have in stock that seems reasonable for the round. Which is exactly why I chose H335 in my original post.

Shooting for 65 - 70K in my first test rounds should be relatively safe. I'll just ensure I get a good H2O reading on the cases before and after firing.

Not sure me being the first one on here to try this cartridge is a good sign for its longevity.

I haven't seen the novels posted by the one guy who won't shut up about them. Unless he's the one forming them to another caliber. Time to do a better search.

Didn't we see a custom action that sheared the lugs using 80k psi loads in alpha brass? Seems like the only thing that stopped it from lodging the boke in his face was the bolt handle hitting chassis.

Around that time didnt alpha put out a statement that their brass showed traditional pressure signs at much higher pressures?

Is running 80k psi in an action designed to run loads under 60k psi a good idea?

Reactions: Schütze
Didn't we see a custom action that sheared the lugs using 80k psi loads in alpha brass? Seems like the only thing that stopped it from lodging the boke in his face was the bolt handle hitting chassis.

Around that time didnt alpha put out a statement that their brass showed traditional pressure signs at much higher pressures?

Is running 80k psi in an action designed to run loads under 60k psi a good idea?
Who exactly in this thread is talking about running 80K PSI loads in a 60K action?