All subscriptions are on sale! Pick yours below

Subscribe

77 SMK load recommendations

wyattgtx

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2024
Texas
Wanting to develop a load for my .223 Wylde AR platform. I am shooting a 18” stainless steel barrel with a 1:8 twist. I have tried load development with 68 grains and have not had the best luck and want to try moving up to the 77 SMKs. Wanting to develop an accurate load that I can reach out and touch 5-600 yards with ease. What powders and processes have you guys used and achieved the best results with? A temp stable powder is also a pretty big plus for me also. Thanks

Lots of 77 grain data scattered in here.

Wanting to develop a load for my .223 Wylde AR platform. I am shooting a 18” stainless steel barrel with a 1:8 twist. I have tried load development with 68 grains and have not had the best luck and want to try moving up to the 77 SMKs. Wanting to develop an accurate load that I can reach out and touch 5-600 yards with ease. What powders and processes have you guys used and achieved the best results with? A temp stable powder is also a pretty big plus for me also. Thanks
There's gazillions of info on mk262 and clone loads, which is proabbly the first step/start. Keep in mind component availability remains limited on certain things, like h4895 is unobtanium for past 3-4 years, ar comp is $500 a keg, etc

Reactions: Zebulon and simonp
Yeah also a quick warning

I’ve used many powders and many loads for 77. Then one day I mis read the loads and notes and was .3-.5 grains over load

Blew out the sled bob ( single feed magazine tool ) broke and split the bolt and dam near wrecked the upper

Measure carefully and recall the exponential nature in small powder grain increases and start low and double check powder / load manufacturing recommended amounts of propellant