7mm bullet to use for 1 mile??

Yeah very true. Not so worried on the 147 for me no problem to date. But not sure i wanna even try the 180 eldm and then kind of has me scared of the 190 a-tips suppose to be same jacket and design just metal tip idk

If the A-tip blow I’m gonna be pissed.
:mad:

There was about a 6 -7 month window where I had issues wit the 147’s and it was maybe 1 in 10-20 that blew.

not nearly as aggravating as the 289’s rate.

Maybe they’ll get the 180 sorted.
When it actually makes it to the target it’s a hell of a bullet

Yes sir i agree 180 eldm great bullet if it doesnt blow lol yeah a-tips cost alot they better not. But 190 bergers are looking great not sure i wanna chance the blowups for $25 savings

I just called hornaday they said they never heard of that and there should be no problems and if I do run into any problems to call them and let them know but I seen on other forms where a guy contacted them and sent them bullets and I did testing so I don't know what to think about all that

I just called hornaday they said they never heard of that and there should be no problems and if I do run into any problems to call them and let them know but I seen on other forms where a guy contacted them and sent them bullets and I did testing so I don't know what to think about all that
They played that game with the 147’ at first.

I normally jump the 180’ a lot but I have a small test of them just off the lands at single shot length.
Maybe I can test them Friday.

Yeah i figured lol he said i shouldnt have any problems with them in a 1-8 twist 7mag 2950
I’m actually kinda excited to try the A-tips.
If they’re all that I’ll pony up the extra $$$$ and use them strictly for the 1800+ shots.

The 168 Berger hunters I got super cheap have proven to be quite impressive out to 1600 yards and I still have a lot of those.

If they’re all that I’ll pony up the extra $$$$ and use them strictly for the 1800+ shots.

The 168 Berger hunters I got super cheap have proven to be quite impressive out to 1600 yards and I still have a lot of those.
I want one bullet to do it all for the target with one load

I’d be pretty upset too. I’m not a big fan of hornady bullets, the Berger’s are more expensive but have just been so much more consistent for me

I used to shoot a lot( approximately 4000) of 140 hybrids and they were definitely more consistent than the 140/147 but the performance of the 147 at extended ranges was worth it.

At this point with my modest 7mm knowledge base the Berger is crushing the Hornandy 180 consistency.
lol!

The last time I shot the 180eldms I plopped a Unfired that day rifle down on the mat pointed at the 1525 steel.
Set up the spotting scope and camera.
Started filming and on the 3rd of 4 shots had one go poof and that percentage has been pretty consistent lately.

Out of 75 Bergers I’ve shot all have made it to the target or target area.

lol
no way I’m gonna pony up $$$ for A-tip for every shot in my 7mm.
I’m fortunate to be able to shoot a lot and I like steak a lot more than ramen.

The Berger 168’s were approximately 23 cents each and they hammer!
We butcher our own beef so I got steaks in the freezer LOL that's why I want to do the 190 Burgers probably and shooting from a thousand over a mile

We butcher our own beef so I got steaks in the freezer LOL that's why I want to do the 190 Burgers probably and shooting from a thousand over a mile
Well at 1930 and a smidge over 2000 that I’ve shot them at they did really well and my trued BC was fairly close to advertised.
At 1525 they were boringly easy.
At 950 I felt I was the big fish in the little pond.
The various 7mm magnums really are remarkable in the performance to cost ratios.

Last edited:
I’m starting to think this is appropriate
2CB5CFAA-0CF9-4E20-AA33-C0DC09309226.jpeg

There!
I said it!

Tried 180 eldm had blow ups prolly 90% of then at 100 yards. I have 190 bergers on order and thinking about giving the 197 smk a try to but not much things out there on that bullet

Now I fear I have made a mistake ordering 180m's.... I'm running an 8 twist 3 groove lilja 7/300. Is the 3 groove going to kill them even faster?

Sorry for the hijack..

I've had the 168gr Berger's out to almost 1100 in my 7mm-08 and love them. Got a bunch more back a couple months ago for like 22 cents each.

I've had the 168gr Berger's out to almost 1100 in my 7mm-08 and love them. Got a bunch more back a couple months ago for like 22 cents each.
Yea
I got in on that deal.
they did good at 1520 and I tried them at 1800 yards but couldn’t spot anything that day at that distance.
I really enjoy shooting them.
Only pushing to 2970 and it’s very mild shooting with surprising performance.

Finally got final testing. 7mm mag 28in barrel 197 smk 2819 avg shot great just disappointed in speed but have 400 left so burn threw them then switch.
Any idea of the actual BC?
Just looked at advertised G1 ballistics at that speed at sea level.
If the vertical is decent that’s pretty decent performance.

Last edited:
I've not used the Hornady bullets in my .284 so can't speak to their effectiveness. I started with Berger Hybrid 180 Hybrids and haven't looked back. I'm getting 2840 fps out of a 28" Bartlein with 1:8 twist and hit targets at 1850 yards. I've not tried anything heavier since it's a "straight" .284 and the 180's produce enough splash in our soft impact/target area to see misses but heavier bullets, if pushed at speed, are worthy of strong consideration if splash is hard to see.
If you don't mind me asking what powder do you use anod what does your extreme spreads look like?

Took it out to 1690 today and i was alittle over 1 mil high with my data so not sure whats off. My 300 win mag and my dads 300 win mag was dead on with my app so maybe the bc is way higher

My muzzle velocity would have to be 2915 and it is 2819. I use the same Chronograph as my 300 win mag it is doing 2879 with 225 eldm .777 or .391 and the drops were dead on. Same as my dad same crony so i cant wrap my head around this one lol thise bullets also shot lights out at 1690 first time that far had some tough wind shooting small rock no bigger than 12 inch wide and 12 inch tall maybe went 9 for 20. Good for me atleast