• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

A good 1500 yard caliber

para1505

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
Columbia MO area
I am willing to consider any caliber. The two main parameters I'm wanting is good barrel life and affordable reloading.
The caliber I have been thinking about for this is the 6.5 PRC. I have no experience shooting over 1200 yards. This rifle will be used for target shooting only at steel.

Define good barrel life?

In decent conditions my 260 does well at 1500 as would a 6.5CM.

A 6.5 prc would be even better.

My 7 saum is pretty nice at that distance even when it’s not perfect out.

The 300WM and 300PRC are excellent choices as well.

Bigger bullets from the 7mm and 300’s are definitely easier to spot.

Define good barrel life. A .308 in a 24-26 inch tube can make it to 1500. Maybe not well, but not much worst then other short action cartridges. Easy to find bullets and brass for.
A 7mm-08 although not as popular as the 260 and creed still has more barrel life, and can reach out better than a .308.
Pretty much if you “want good barrel life” stay away from over bore cartridges.

Reactions: 308pirate
Define good barrel life?

In decent conditions my 260 does well at 1500 as would a 6.5CM.

A 6.5 prc would be even better.

My 7 saum is pretty nice at that distance even when it’s not perfect out.

The 300WM and 300PRC are excellent choices as well.

Bigger bullets from the 7mm and 300’s are definitely easier to spot.
3000 round barrel life would be preferred
I am a fare weather shooter since you said the .260 that would really spark my interest. One rifle to do it all. What bullet at what velocity are shooting a 260 at 1500 yards with

3000 round barrel life would be preferred
I am a fare weather shooter since you said the .260 that would really spark my interest. One rifle to do it all. What bullet at what velocity are shooting a 260 at 1500 yards with
147eldm’s at 2800.
I run roomy brass with a long throat 260 chamber to keep pressure down but even at 2725-2750 your gonna get good performance with that bullet.

I’ve had it successfully past a mile numerous times.

6.5 prc and the short magnums are definitely not lasting 3000.
3000 rounds barrel life is kinda limiting you to non magnum options

IMHO, the OP doesn’t have many (any ) great options that meet his barrel life criteria.
Yes there is always that one guy who can shoot his 223 to a mile and his buddy who got xxxxx rounds out of his magnum.
But this isn’t the norm. I have seen dozens of 6.5 cm barrels that started to lose accuracy around 2k rounds and hotter calibers that didn’t make it to 1k
Perhaps a long barreled 708 or 7 saw might check all the boxes, but 1500 would definitely be a struggle for most shooters.
If I were building a gun for 1500 yds I would do a 300 win mag, for me the larger calibers are more fun at distance.

Yeah, I have to agree. I have the 6.5 PRC, and think that’s an amazing round shooting out to 1500, but if you’re looking for a 3000 round barrel life option, I don’t think there really is a great option. But as cheap as you can get a new barrel, I wouldn’t put as much emphasis on that aspect if it were me. If you can afford that much ammo being sent down it, you can afford a new barrel.

What type of shooting are you doing? Just for snits and giggles going out and banging steel on your weekends off? Competition? Here is an example. I went out yesterday and made easy hits at a mile with the 300PRC with a 230gr A-Tip at just under 3000fps. Am I going to get 3000 rounds of barrel life? Hell no! I may...or may not get 1500 rounds.

However, Yesterday I shot 47 rounds total out of the PRC and was bored. Yes...bored. Once you hit it...how many more times in a row do you need to hit it....IF....you are just casually shooting on the weekends? If that...then it may take you a LONG time to burn through 1000 rounds in that instance.

If on the other hand you are competing...then who cares about barrel life? It is a consumable item and you need the best big boy cartridge that cheats the wind you can get.

How many times realistically are you going to shoot 1000yds? Beyond? If rare...then I'd just get a 6.5 creedmoor and call it a day. Then...again....you are going to need a buddy to help you spot those almost no existent metal moving hits at 1500yds and beyond?

7mm-08 long barrel better have alot of mil in scope and waste alot of time guess working or with the extra rounds you shoot just get a 300 win mag or 7mm saum and go for gold and actually hit the target more often then not and enjoy the time out instead of being frustrated

I'm hoping to find out if I can get close to 2,000 rounds out of a 284 Winchester before the groups open up.

It's very efficient and has the legs for 1,500 yards without being too overbore.
I think it’s possible and a great option.
when I was getting my first firing on my 7 saum brass I was launching 180 eldm’s at 2800 and performance at 1600 was quite good.
That’s certainly 284 Winchester territory.

How did you pick 1500 yards as the goal? Do you have steel to 1500? Not being an ass, but have you ever viewed results of KO2M results? A lot of guys with cheytac size cases fail to advance at 1500, which is around the starting distance. Their target size is generous too.
Any cartridge that stands a 60% chance of a first rd impact at 1500 and the words good barrel life don't belong together.
That said, one day in 21mph winds full value from 3 o'clock, I went 5 for 5 on a IPSC at 1500 with a 6 dasher. But I had warmed up at 1350 & 1450. If I had started there, well, you can guess.
I am about to take possession of a 25 saum, and I really think it will be a fun rd. But I bought 1500 bullets for it and bet I have at least 300 left over when the barrel gets pulled.
If it is windy and the plan is to shoot past 1200, I bring a 7 saum, usually does the job. After 10yrs of shooting one, or 2 at the same time, many barrels, I am going bigger. May be tough choice, I am not a 300 WM fan.

6.5prc
.300wm
300prc
300norma
At 1500 small bullets get hard to hits and misses. With price drop on AI'S get one that and bolts and shoot whatever you want. Lots of people making really good barrels for them.

Reactions: MOUNTIC
I am willing to consider any caliber. The two main parameters I'm wanting is good barrel life and affordable reloading.
The caliber I have been thinking about for this is the 6.5 PRC. I have no experience shooting over 1200 yards. This rifle will be used for target shooting only at steel.
Hearing a lot of good things about 300 Norma Mag. Easily handle 1500 and beyond with 215s to 230s

Reactions: Runnineh
I’m sure huskydriver is aware, but to clarify for anyone else, the 300 prc and 300 Norma have different bolt faces and are not interchangeable.
Both are great elr choices, but neither is likely to get anywhere near 3000 rounds. Often less than 1500.

I have a 300 Norma and love it. Barrels aren’t that expensive and I like supporting Benchmark barrels anyway ?

I’m sure huskydriver is aware, but to clarify for anyone else, the 300 prc and 300 Norma have different bolt faces and are not interchangeable.
Both are great elr choices, but neither is likely to get anywhere near 3000 rounds. Often less than 1500.

I have a 300 Norma and love it. Barrels aren’t that expensive and I like supporting Benchmark barrels anyway ?

Yes I run an axmc ? with all 3 bolts good point for those who didn't know though.

I think if you keep the speed of a 230 gr to 2700-2800 I think you could get 1500 rounds np

300wsm in a long action is going to get close with barrel life 230smk berger or 225eld/230 atip.
Rich Sherman's stuff in the short action or improved 280 case in 30 cal also will perform with longer barrel life. The 7mm would be less barrel life but might squeak to 2k. Not many 6.5s are going to 3k running hard enough with a 147 and up.

You can do 1500 with a 223. Watched two different gentlemen do it in Oklahoma. They were very skilled and 1 hit once and the other 3 times out of 10. If shooting factory ammo and want barrel life go 6.5 cm. It will do it or the 260 is another option. If reloading and want something different than the pack go 6.5x55 there’s lots of options out there. If want to cut the wind 6.5 prc is hard to beat. But barrel life is going to about half of what you are hoping for. There’s no free lunch but barrels are made to be replaced. Whatever you choose you will have fun.

Has anyone suggested looking into the new military round ? Dig calls it the .277 Fury . It seems like a good round even though it’s new . You might be ahead of the curve ? Just my 2 cents worth

Many rounds can hit at 1500. For me, it's about spotting trace. If you have a nice dirt backstop,and a good spotter, then a smaller round can work. If not, well, that's why I like my 300 PRC with 230s for ~mile shooting. Unless I'm shooting into leafy green ground cover, spotting misses is easy.

Define good barrel life. A .308 in a 24-26 inch tube can make it to 1500. Maybe not well, but not much worst then other short action cartridges. Easy to find bullets and brass for.
A 7mm-08 although not as popular as the 260 and creed still has more barrel life, and can reach out better than a .308.
Pretty much if you “want good barrel life” stay away from over bore cartridges.

7mm-08 will definitely get you to 1500 and beyond. Ran mine to 5k rounds and out to 1760 with 162gr A-max. It was no 7WSM, but it was fun.

7mm-08 will definitely get you to 1500 and beyond. Ran mine to 5k rounds and out to 1760 with 162gr A-max. It was no 7WSM, but it was fun.

Yep. It’s really a hidden gem of a cartridge. It’s to bad it’s not more popular outside of hunters. I’ve loaded up some 150gr eld-x and pushed it right about a mile just for funzies.

Reactions: themightytimmah
I would strongly support a 284 Win or 7 SAUM for this application. I feel anything with enough speed in a 6.5 will not get the barrel life that we are looking for, which for me is 2500-3000 rds. It isn't so much the cost , it's the annoyance of ordering and spec'ing a barrel, time the rifle is down and just the risk of getting one that doesn't meet expectations.

A mild 7mm is really a great choice and the heavy target bullets will make spotting impacts easier. I could see a 300 WSM as a possibility but at the expense of more recoil and I would prefer to not get fatigued from a long range session.

• Haha
Reactions: jasent
A vote for the 300 PRC

Nah...he wants it to be challenging. :)

This past Sunday I was at TVP and hit the 18" and the 12" target at 1 mile....repeatedly. What is a 12" target at 1760 yards? 0.65MOA in size? Not using store bought ammo....but I bet he could hit the 18" target with some over the counter 225-ELD-M's without much effort.

So....forgetting all our 'pet' loads...and our anal retentive reloading habits....what is the best 1500yd+ cartridge for 'swinging by Cabela's and picking up a few boxes of ammo on our way to the range'?.....300PRC

1500 yards calls for 338LM or at the very least one of the 30 cal magnums. You'll see when you actually try it. The challenges are real. Surmountable, but real, for any decent hit rate. And seeing one's impacts (and misses) is a big part of it. Mass makes for impact.

1500 yards calls for 338LM or at the very least one of the 30 cal magnums. You'll see when you actually try it. The challenges are real. Surmountable, but real, for any decent hit rate. And seeing one's impacts (and misses) is a big part of it. Mass makes for impact.

So tell me why a 190 gr 7mm bullet with a higher bc then some of the 300 gr .338 bullets launched at the same speed will not have a similar hit rate. Other than spotting impacts or misses with a lighter bullet, where is the .338 gaining its advantage?

So tell me why a 190 gr 7mm bullet with a higher bc then some of the 300 gr .338 bullets launched at the same speed will not have a similar hit rate. Other than spotting impacts or misses with a lighter bullet, where is the .338 gaining its advantage?

Exactly!

Lol
My buddy was cringing at how well my 7 saum does against his 338 Norma with some pretty tough winds with a much cheaper load cost.

Other than spotting I’d take the 7mm or 300 options all day.

Sunday with funky light and winds my 7 saum had the same issues the guy with the 338 lapua was having at 1930 yards.

Please refrain from posting in ELR. Thanks

Absolutely, positively, unequivocally NOT a .308. As the image below clearly illustrates.

308 Win Trajectory.jpg

Hide and watch.

You shooting in a dry sandy desert area? Then you can see impacts. You east of Kansas? Good luck.

No data, no dice.