• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

A good 1500 yard caliber

Hide and watch.

You shooting in a dry sandy desert area? Then you can see impacts. You east of Kansas? Good luck.

No data, no dice.

New York. Been there and done that. 6.5's are hard to spot, 7's a little better but your post insinuated there was a ballistic challenge, not just spotting impacts.

As others have said, seeing impacts is critical. Not knowing what your impact area is made of, my suggestions are based on where I shoot and the type of terrain I am exposed to. The ground has slight inclines with soft loam soil; impacts are easy to see when it is dry. I shoot a straight .284 with 180 Hybrids and have absolutely no problem seeing impacts and getting on target at 1500 yards and on days with moderate winds, can put them on target at 1850 yards.

If, however, you have plans on shooting 1500 - 2000 yards on a regular basis, I'd step up to the 300 PRC, 300 Norma, 338 Norma or 338 Lapua. Barrel life probably will not be as good as the .284 but the heavier 200-300 grain bullets will give more signature than the 180s at the longer distances.

Reactions: nick338
It’s pretty much easy mode at 1500

If you would have told me that 10 years ago...I would have laughed you out of the room. Man, we've come a long long way since I had to admit that someone's 6.5cm was better than my 308 at distance. If I were 50% at 1000 yards I couldn't get my big head in the door...couldn't get my puffed out chest behind the steering wheel to drive back home.

Now...point...pull...bang...repeat.

If you would have told me that 10 years ago...I would have laughed you out of the room. Man, we've come a long long way since I had to admit that someone's 6.5cm was better than my 308 at distance. If I were 50% at 1000 yards I couldn't get my big head in the door...couldn't get my puffed out chest behind the steering wheel to drive back home.

I remember people talking about shooting a mile and being awestruck.
7A326D38-3DE7-4146-A5A4-4F1C80D3AF64.gif

Now I shoot that far or further every week.
Yea, my perspective has certainly changed over the years.

Last edited:
Another one for the 300 prc...
As previously posted...if u dont hand load...
You can find box ammo for mid to high 30s
Generally just under 40 bucks on line...

My 24" MPA absolutely loves factory ammo...enough so that all my load testing has been reverted back to the same velocity and same O.A.L. as box hornady 225 ELD-M...
Only hand loading for a little more consistency and cheaper after x amount of firings depending on brass brand...

I almost pulled the trigger on 338 norma here just a week ago and have decided to just stick with 300 prc...not enough gained for the money..for ME.....(based on factory ammo)...especially knowing/not knowing our trying times of this covid-19 stuff...
Not bashing on 338 norma...
May go with a 338 AI in a year or so....

But for 1500 yrds...I would give the 300 prc a try....dont think you will be disappointed

If you reload...
280AI might be an interesting choice to consider as well as the necked up 6.5PRC to 28PRC

And for sure 30-06 or 30-06 improved.

If you do not reload, 6.5PRC but the barrel life will not be there...

So True. And now when people ask me about shooting and how far I just skip the details.

We have indeed come a long way with long range and extreme long range shooting. Hard to believe there's anything further we can do, but I'll bet there is a lot left to do and we will see amazing advances made in coming years.

Take your pick. Hell I’ve taken my 243 to a mile. 1500 is just about anything you want. 300wm is great for 1500 even for unseasoned ELR shooters. I’m guessing your really new to ELR or you wouldn’t be asking. maybe a 338 edge or lapua if your lacking in the elevation department.
Gotta warm ya though. Once you start getting good hits at 1500 your going to want more, plan accordingly

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
What ground is around your target? If it's sandy/gravel and dry, you could do it with anything that is supersonic. A 7 saum with dry conditions will leave plenty of splash to make corrections.

Reactions: alfmoonspace
So tell me why a 190 gr 7mm bullet with a higher bc then some of the 300 gr .338 bullets launched at the same speed will not have a similar hit rate. Other than spotting impacts or misses with a lighter bullet, where is the .338 gaining its advantage?

The 6mms, 6.5s, and 7s really are the "Easy" button to start getting long range hits. 7mm is awesome and as others attest will get it done at a mile and beyond. Once you step up to the 190gr in a 7mm I believe you are going to see barrel life plummet just as you would in a 300NM so the advantage would have to come down to recoil reduction or ammo/bullet availability.

300PRC is looking to be the same "Easy" button to a mile in that it is a great compromise of many factors. Hornady putting out their factory ammo at a decent price probably being the #1 upside.

The 6mms, 6.5s, and 7s really are the "Easy" button to start getting long range hits. 7mm is awesome and as others attest will get it done at a mile and beyond. Once you step up to the 190gr in a 7mm I believe you are going to see barrel life plummet just as you would in a 300NM so the advantage would have to come down to recoil reduction or ammo/bullet availability.

300PRC is looking to be the same "Easy" button to a mile in that it is a great compromise of many factors. Hornady putting out their factory ammo at a decent price probably being the #1 upside.

An interesting story.
A friend(he has a 338NM)is starting a company and a few of the partners are from England.
One of the Brits was a woman who never shot a firearm before.
We took them shooting and he showed her a few fundamentals and she got sorted out a bit at 775 yards.
Switched to the 1050 target , fast learner, small correction to position and a second round hit.

Move to 1810
She shot quite a few rounds but just couldn’t connect, I could see she was getting beat up a bit from recoil.
I suggested she try my 7 saum, hit it on the second try and repeated it on the third.
She commented that my rifle was nicer and my buddy said I’m an asshole.

I do not however take the spotting aspect of the bigger bullets lightly.
NW dirt really swallows up impacts at times.

An interesting story.
A friend(he has a 338NM)is starting a company and a few of the partners are from England.
One of the Brits was a woman who never shot a firearm before.
We took them shooting and he showed her a few fundamentals and she got sorted out a bit at 775 yards.
Switched to the 1050 target , fast learner, small correction to position and a second round hit.

Move to 1810
She shot quite a few rounds but just couldn’t connect, I could see she was getting beat up a bit from recoil.
I suggested she try my 7 saum, hit it on the second try and repeated it on the third.
She commented that my rifle was nicer and my buddy said I’m an asshole.

I do not however take the spotting aspect of the bigger bullets lightly.
NW dirt really swallows up impacts at times.

This is why I ended up going the 300 Norma route. Less pounding than the .338's but easier to spot impacts than the 7mm's.

Funny, I think back to 2001 when I bought my first Sako TRG-42 and was slinging factory 250 gr Lockbase bullets and thinking I was the shit. Now hopefully I'll be sending some very different 250 gr bullets down range and thinking I'm the shit that don't stink:LOL:

Yep...and 10 years from now we'll be shooting distances with accuracy we never imagined as well.

Yep...and 10 years from now we'll be shooting distances with accuracy we never imagined as well.

Will be interesting for sure. Any of you guys remember an early 80's movie called Runaway with Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons?

I think any of the calibers are great options these days a mile and in. 338s, 30s,and 7s are all great options. Find one you like the sound of, and run with it. It's more the shooter than the caliber. Some do provide advantages over others, but none of it matters if the trigger puller sucks.

Reactions: jasent
I am willing to consider any caliber. The two main parameters I'm wanting is good barrel life and affordable reloading.
The caliber I have been thinking about for this is the 6.5 PRC. I have no experience shooting over 1200 yards. This rifle will be used for target shooting only at steel.
I think that the 6.5CM would be a decent choice.
If you are shooting a lot of rounds one right after the other, as you would in say, PRS, well bbl life will be less.
However, if you shoot as you say you do and let the bbl cool, well I can almost assure you that most quality bbl manufacturers will get substantially more rounds before accuracy degrades to a point where you have extremely poor accuracy.

Also, if you have a 1/4 moa gun that starts to shoot 1/2 after X amount of rounds, is that such a bad thing?
In the same way, if you load ammo too hot it will really take a toll on the throat of the bbl.

Well, just one man's opinion, good luck on your journey.

I think that the 6.5CM would be a decent choice.
If you are shooting a lot of rounds one right after the other, as you would in say, PRS, well bbl life will be less.
However, if you shoot as you say you do and let the bbl cool, well I can almost assure you that most quality bbl manufacturers will get substantially more rounds before accuracy degrades to a point where you have extremely poor accuracy.

Also, if you have a 1/4 moa gun that starts to shoot 1/2 after X amount of rounds, is that such a bad thing?
In the same way, if you load ammo too hot it will really take a toll on the throat of the bbl.

Well, just one man's opinion, good luck on your journey.

Others' opinion will vary....but I personally don't like shooting a cartridge that goes subsonic before my intended target....actually I like to have wiggle room and have that cartridge capable of shooting another 200 yards before going subsonic...beyond my target.

Now yes...ofcourse I shoot my rifle from time to time beyond what I just said....but that is very rare....and at the moment...I can't afford to build a rifle for ranges I can rarely attempt....but if I do find myself shooting 2500+ in ELR comps more often...I'll build a bigger gun.

Others' opinion will vary....but I personally don't like shooting a cartridge that goes subsonic before my intended target....actually I like to have wiggle room and have that cartridge capable of shooting another 200 yards before going subsonic...beyond my target.

Now yes...ofcourse I shoot my rifle from time to time beyond what I just said....but that is very rare....and at the moment...I can't afford to build a rifle for ranges I can rarely attempt....but if I do find myself shooting 2500+ in ELR comps more often...I'll build a bigger gun.
That’s part of the magic of easy mode.

That said the challenge of a not so optimal cartridge is quite fun if you don’t get frustrated easily.

Reactions: jasent
I love that chart!
My eyes were opened and I was enlightened a bit shooting FGMM 168 out of a blinged out M14 at 1300 yards last year.
That chart very true with 168 grain bullets. Add in a M14/M1A and there lies the long distance problem. Factor in a quality bolt gun running 175s or 185 to 200 grain bullets and out to 1200 a 308 can be impressive. Not saying it is as good as a fast 7 or bigger caliber but no slouch.

That chart very true with 168 grain bullets. Add in a M14/M1A and there lies the long distance problem. Factor in a quality bolt gun running 175s or 185 to 200 grain bullets and out to 1200 a 308 can be impressive. Not saying it is as good as a fast 7 or bigger caliber but no slouch.

Was shooting with a buddy who has a M14 with a 12 twist Kreiger today.
At 1120 he was a contender today with FGMM 168’s

DA this morning was 1200 so not a lot of elevation.
I’ve shot that rifle at a similar DA out to 1300 successfully.

Reactions: Bandit320 and b2lee
I don't even think of this thread as if 1500 is the real goal, whether the OP knows it or not. Hit at 1500 and the itch will itch like a bitch. If you have to go through hell or high water, you'll find a place where you can shoot a mile, then longer and longer. So fuck it, just go straight to 416B, get to a couple of miles and see it you need to scratch more itch.

I don't even think of this thread as if 1500 is the real goal, whether the OP knows it or not. Hit at 1500 and the itch will itch like a bitch. If you have to go through hell or high water, you'll find a place where you can shoot a mile, then longer and longer. So fuck it, just go straight to 416B, get to a couple of miles and see it you need to scratch more itch.
BC8F3607-F16B-4C42-80A2-C1554BD8CF85.png

300wsm in a long action is going to get close with barrel life 230smk berger or 225eld/230 atip.
Rich Sherman's stuff in the short action or improved 280 case in 30 cal also will perform with longer barrel life. The 7mm would be less barrel life but might squeak to 2k. Not many 6.5s are going to 3k running hard enough with a 147 and up.
You can get all over 3,000 shooting 156 Berger’s with RL26 in a 6.5x284. Not that it’s an optimal at this kind of distances, but you can get to the 3k number without too much trouble. Just sayin

You can get all over 3,000 shooting 156 Berger’s with RL26 in a 6.5x284. Not that it’s an optimal at this kind of distances, but you can get to the 3k number without too much trouble. Just sayin
3000 rounds not fps. You can get 3k rounds out of a 6.5284 but after 1200 at a compettion level and pace the accuracy will not be where it needs to be. The 300wsm has a following due to the fact that the throat doesn't move much over a season. Most are shooting the dame load with very little change in seating if any. Recoil is the price you pay though.

3000 rounds not fps. You can get 3k rounds out of a 6.5284 but after 1200 at a compettion level and pace the accuracy will not be where it needs to be. The 300wsm has a following due to the fact that the throat doesn't move much over a season. Most are shooting the dame load with very little change in seating if any. Recoil is the price you pay though.
Right on, sorry misunderstood