• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Ackley Improved Rifles

Re: Ackley Improved Rifles

I recently had a 26-06ackley built, rem 700 action benchmark barrel. the rifle loves 115 berger vld's at about 3100 fps. this is my first year hunting with the rifle and I have killed three bucks with it so far. 2 of the deer fell where they stood, the other ran less than 30 yards spraying blood. this is now my go to rifle!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cruizer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">338 Lapua improved
IMG00119.jpg
</div></div>
Man that looks like a serious change in case capacity!! Details please. Load, velocities,etc. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pimpgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cruizer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">338 Lapua improved
IMG00119.jpg
</div></div>
Man that looks like a serious change in case capacity!! Details please. Load, velocities,etc. Thanks. </div></div>
with a very tight chamber I am getting swipe marks at 102gr of H-1000. I have settled down to 100.5gr and am getting very good accuracy and veocities with a 225gr interbond and no pressure signs.I think I will be around 3100-3150 with the 25.5" barrel. WHen I shoot this barrel out I will go to a 30" tube and run 300gr bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pimpgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Have you ran the 250's? How about Retumbo? I would think the slower burn rate would really perform but maybe no big advantage in a shorter tube. </div></div>

short barrel is my hangup. The H-1000 is doing really well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotgun4fur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.223 AI
IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg
</div></div>

Sweet rifle! </div></div>

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pimpgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cruizer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">338 Lapua improved
IMG00119.jpg
</div></div>
Man that looks like a serious change in case capacity!! Details please. Load, velocities,etc. Thanks. </div></div>

How much powder that sucker hold.
Looks wicked as heck.
Nice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Battista74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm. Im working on another little project. is any one here a good gunsmith skilled with specifically AI chambering? If not can someone recommend one? </div></div>

What are you looking to have built?

A new addition to the family. A 338 improved.

DSC02915.jpg

While not an Ackley per say, here is a improved case for the speed freaks. The fabled 300 12 Egg. 155 Scenars at over 4k fps.

100_2554-1.jpg

100_2552.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not an Ackley, this one is a 6.5 Gibbs or 6.5-06 maximally improved.

This is a hunting rifle I built about 17 years ago, 700 action, Mc Millan, 31" Hart, Jewell, It sends 142 SMK's at 3180fps. I am now thinking about bobbing the barrel and setting it into a AICS.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Fire forming the 06 case into the Gibbs</span>
6.5Gibbsforming.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">The Rifle </span>

KrylonGibbs.jpg
</div></div>

Thats a badass paint job i love it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Battista74</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Battista74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im actually looking to build something unusual. Custom dies.</div></div>

Anyone? </div></div>

Take a look <span style="color: #FF0000">here</span>. Black Diamond Rifles is a full service start to finnish smith who can make custom wildcats along with the brass and dies.

IMG00119.jpg
</div></div>
with a very tight chamber I am getting swipe marks at 102gr of H-1000. I have settled down to 100.5gr and am getting very good accuracy and veocities with a 225gr interbond and no pressure signs.I think I will be around 3100-3150 with the 25.5" barrel. WHen I shoot this barrel out I will go to a 30" tube and run 300gr bullets.

When you say "swipe marks" what are you referring to? I've heard this term but not sure what it means.

Thanks
Joden

The term "swipe marks" is a sign of an over pressure condition. At such high pressure the brass from the head of the case will actually flow into the ejector hole in the face of the bolt. When the bolt is opened the slight bump of brass is shaved off leaving a shiny circle or a "swipe mark" on the head brass and if you look at the bolt face you will find the shaved brass.